Coronavirus.

I was always getting upset at my wife when she found good sales on stuff at her store, Shoppers, and loaded up on the stuff from dry food goods to cleaning products and yes, toilet paper. There isn't 1 case of Corona Virus in Haldimand Norfolk county. SDM gives daily updates to their employees and I am very happy about that, so many rumours. SDM is taking the Health and Safety of employees and customers very seriously and that's a good thing. What isn't a rumour is today the CEO Dalen Weston sent a letter "to Shoppers employees saying they will have a period of time during the day where Sr's only will be allowed to shop in the stores depending on demand. I can see it in the big cities but not out here in the boonies. 

Something to pass onto friends and families. Thousands will be laid off this week in Ontario, 10's of thousands. If for some reason employees hours are cut or "temporary layoffs" are given employees have rights in Ont. not often common knowledge. Any cut in hours is deemed to be "constructive dismissal" and the employee can demand severance. 

There is NO such thing in Ontario as a "temporary" layoff. An employer has no obligation to rehire an employee unless it is a clause in a collective bargaining agreement or employee contract. The employee can demand severance as well when given the pink slip. I recommend consulting a labour lawyer before applying for E.I. Many offer free consultation today. This can all be seen on the MOL website, don't take my word for it.  Also if hours are cut back, shift schedules change drastically or layoffs are handed out I would consult a reputable Labour Lawyer immediately, never sign anything before seeing a lawyer. I recommend Ed Canning in the Hamilton area, he was offering the 1st consult at no charge. The name of the labour lawyer in the GTA that impresses me is Lior Samfiru.  I predict current  legislation may be temporarily changed during this unprecedented time in our business world. 

edit: Now they are urging Sr's to shop the 1st hour the stores are open. along with anyone else. It is the least busy hour of the day and they are offering bonus points and some discounts of up to 20%. 

Johnny D. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

8 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

Home safe and very tired , drove straight through, border very busy even at 3:30 am. Didn't even ask about booze, tobacco,  guns.... just advised voluntary self quarantine for 14 days. 

I am glad you made it Cliff . :good:

Well as of Thursday myself and all other NWT Govt. employees will be working from home until at least April 14th. 

Longer if the situation is still dangerous.

They also ordered all rec facilities, the museum, all schools and the college all closed.

We are still COVID free North of 60 which is good.

Hope it stays that way.

Since I'm working from home I can also work from my cabin if I can get it warm enough as most of the ceiling insulation has yet to be installed.

Went shopping for weekly food today and it's stupid!!!

No bread, chicken, pork, soup, TP, rice, soya sauce, pancake mix, tinned pasta, baked beans, tinned veggies, boxed pasta, pasta sauce, and a bunch of other empty shelves. There was some ground beef and 3 roasts so I got some burger and a roast to make into beef stew in the slow cooker. 

Got a buffalo roast in the freezer along with a bunch of fish. Need to head back to the store and get some fresh fruit and veggies.

The Dene National Chief says screw it I'm heading out onto the land to get away from this shizz!

• Like 1

Have a read through this. Here's a numbers guy putting forth the results of his study of the virus. This should give us pause for thought... and MAYBE keep our collective a$$es at home!

https://medium.com/@Jason_Scott_Warner/the-sober-math-everyone-must-understand-about-the-pandemic-2b0145881993

HH

• Like 1

Lotsa places shutting down now, my wife was scheduled for physio tomorrow and  that's cancelled, her hairdresser cancelled an appointment for Friday and an upcoming annual eye exam for me has been cancelled too.

Guess it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

19 minutes ago, lew said:

Lotsa places shutting down now, my wife was scheduled for physio tomorrow and  that's cancelled, her hairdresser cancelled an appointment for Friday and an upcoming annual eye exam for me has been cancelled too.

Scary stuff, The London England Guardian is reporting Italy had 475 deaths in a single day?

Since the border has now closed to all but "essential" crossings which should be gone by the time we are ready to go to the cottage, I did contact my Senator about it.

My Father in Law will turn 90 on Friday and in excellent health for his age, but if we had an emergency what would the procedure be?

Their response was to contact their office and they would arrange for C19 tests and provide a letter with Richard Shelby's signature and send us on our way.

Hopefully that will not come into play.

2 minutes ago, mamona said:

Probably best idea would be postponing his birthday celebration in person. 

We aren't going for that, the Shrine Club will handle that.  What I called about would be in the event that he had a health emergency.

Edited by Crimsongulf

3 hours ago, lew said:

Hopefully we've learned from mistakes in other countries that were hit sooner than us and are better set-up to handle this mess.

Lew I am not sure if any country is truly equipped to handle a thing like this. There seems to be a serious shortage of respirators and ventilators and ICU units. The auto companies are shutting down and our state governor has ordered this Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine orders businesses to do temperature checks on employees

This is one of reasons why they ask everybody to stay home, practice social distancing, avoiding gatherings, etc.  - to "Slow Down The Curve"
https://www.wlrn.org/post/what-does-slowing-down-covid-19-curve-mean

One more article
https://www.newsweek.com/canada-border-entry-coronavirus-test-1493072

As always, wash your hands!

Edited by mamona
  • Like 1

Did got to Sobeys today in Dunnville. It is next to Canadian Tire. It sure looked like business as usual with the number of cars in each lot. In and out ASAP. 99% of pasta was sold out and frozen veggies and cans of soup other than that the shelves were full. Plenty of everything. The lady there said stock was very low on Monday before their big Monday shipments came in. My wife gave me a bottle of hand sanitizer. I am to use it before getting into the car each and every time. A good habit for us all. I had to drop the boat off today for a new cover, the fuel tank is empty. The only plus to this entire thing is the price of gas, saw 87.9 today, I can't remember when it was below a buck. When I pick it up Friday I will fill the main tank and the kicker tank to the brim as well as all my gas cans. I may even go to CTC and buy a few 5 gallon cans, if they have any. I'm sure many are stocking up with the way gas prices are today. Oil even lower per barrel than yesterday. CDN dollar below 70 cents USD today. 

Our PM is actually doing something for everyone and Ford has impressed me as well. Getting the relief will be a chore I'm sure. Try getting someone on the phone at the bank, good luck. I was told on the recording wait times were 2 hours for Scotia Bank. It's been a few years now that you can't call a Scotia branch directly all calls go through a main number. When I don't show up for my appointment I think they will know why. 

Big Cliff, I am so happy you made it back safe and sound. Welcome home big guy. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mamona said:

When they posted the video (March 15) they had 18 000 cases, 1000 deaths

Today 35 713 and 2 978 deaths

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Scary numbers. But on a positive note they reported 4,025 people with it have recovered. We have several relatives over there some elderly but we can't contact them. When Mom passed no one could find the address books she had. I have to try Facebook. 

5 hours ago, Crimsongulf said:

Scary words are thrown around on a daily basis but I try to keep a realistic perception.  At this point in time , worldwide there have been slightly less than 9000 deaths out of a population of 7.8 billion.

I look at it this way as well, but I am still duedillagent (sp?) in my day to day surroundings.  I have even started walking around with disinfectant and wipe down machines and railings during breaks and lunch, as I feel it is the right thing to do for all of us working together.  There are some that laugh, that's their ignorance .  I want to be safe as possible .

• Like 4

19 hours ago, lew said:

Lew, if I recall correctly, your wife had heart surgery not too recently? If so, you and her MUST self isolate immediately or potentially deal with the ramifications to come.

I find it difficult to get my head around the actions of so many people during this crisis and yes, it is a crisis. Recent numbers out of the U.S. are showing younger people are also getting severely ill and those numbers are on a straight line up.  

We are two weeks behind Italy, so if you want to know what will happen here, take a look at Italy and make your plans based on what you learn.

Lew, stay home!!!!!!!!!!

HH

Edit to add... forget the kids going back to school this spring, that's all but done. They will be lucky to get back in September. We are in this for the long haul.

Edited by Headhunter