Coronavirus.

On 3/14/2020 at 8:46 AM, OhioFisherman said:

Cisco, I don't know if public healthcare would make a difference, we are just not equipped to handle a serious epidemic. They are saying now that 100,000 Ohioans maybe carrying the virus, if just 5% of those people need to be hospitalized there will be problems! This is a clip of the New Rochelle NY ( a burb of NYC ) problems https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/03/13/gupta-new-rochelle-hospital-pkg-newday-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/coronavirus/.

Maintaining a hospital system to handle any pandemic that comes along could be more expensive than maintaining our military?

China built a couple of new hospitals in Wufan in a couple of weeks? I can't see that happening here.

CNN had another story about Great Britain's handling of it, and a view it might not peak for another 14 weeks? Chaos?

The only way to flatten the curve is isolation? and that would be hard to impose here?

Public healthcare provides free testing. Right now the private US system has a gov't administration trying to get this approved while keeping private insurance/manufacturers/lobbyists happy while attaching a bunch of other non-related matters to the bill. Without testing where are the hot spots to focus on? Where to focus a properly sized media education campaign?  S. Korea does more tests per day than the US has done up to now. Canada has done over 1,000. US decided to not use the WHO test method in order to allow private industry to create it in the US. 'Glitches' are claimed to have prevented creation of a working test kit. US claims 3,000 cases nation wide but Seattle claims 546 there alone. Without testing no one knows but numbers seem way more than a non-testing gov't says. May become another Italy the way things are going, sadly.

Edited by cisco
  • Like 1

Well, we have decided to head for home early Tuesday morning, if we are going to get it it will be a lot easier to deal with it there than here.  Trudeau announced that closing the borders is a possibility, it's not worth taking the chance.

• Like 1

Safe travels Mr Cliff. 

My parents were to head to FLA on Friday and they have friends there that are now heading home and told my parents they can use the house if they want to chance it.  My parents are not chancing it and staying home.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cisco said:

Public healthcare provides free testing. Right now the private US system has a gov't administration trying to get this approved while keeping private insurance/manufacturers/lobbyists happy while attaching a bunch of other non-related matters to the bill. Without testing where are the hot spots to focus on? Where to focus a properly sized media education campaign?  S. Korea does more tests per day than the US has done up to now. Canada has done over 1,000. US decided to not use the WHO test method in order to allow private industry to create it in the US. 'Glitches' are claimed to have prevented creation of a working test kit. US claims 3,000 cases nation wide but Seattle claims 546 there alone. Without testing no one knows but numbers seem way more than a non-testing gov't says. May become another Italy the way things are going, sadly.

Private industry at work?  https://www.cleveland19.com/2020/03/14/federal-agents-seize-counterfeit-covid-test-kits-cbp-warns-public-bogus-goods/

The hospital that me and our friend were in just had it's first case, so no telling were this will go?

1 hour ago, GBW said:

Safe travels Mr Cliff. 

My parents were to head to FLA on Friday and they have friends there that are now heading home and told my parents they can use the house if they want to chance it.  My parents are not chancing it and staying home.  

Ya, this place is paid for until the end of the month, anyone want a free three bedroom place in Myrtle Beach for a couple of weeks?

On 3/13/2020 at 4:59 AM, ckewley said:

With all due seriousness it's hard to tell exactly whats what. We need to be given hard numbers & that is something that isn't available right now. 1 in 6 people who contract Covid develop more serious conditions (at least those were the numbers I got a while ago) but we have no hard number on that 1 that turns fatal! Is it 10%....90% what??? Not to mention the list of symptoms changes almost hourly, dry cough non runny nose, now a runny nose is a symptom, fever but no headache, now a headache & no fever might be a symptom. The anxiety people feel can manifest some of those symptoms so are you sick or not?? 

I'm not pointing fingers or turning this political but after the chips fall on this one, we the people of planet earth better come to some kind of agreement to prevent the next one because the viruses have had a few good kicks at the can lately  

Hard numbers.

Updated daily.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

On 3/14/2020 at 12:34 PM, Big Cliff said:

I am a little concerned about it too, my travel insurance runs out March 28th, if for any reason I can't cross back into Canada on the 26th I could be in a tight spot, no place to stay state side and no health insurance. I guess we'll just have to stay on top of it and react accordingly 

Just go and cross with the illegals in Quebec.

• Haha 3

On 3/14/2020 at 8:50 AM, John said:

Firstly the Covid 19 Corona Virus is respiratory and not gastrointestinal. Unless you want enough TP to wrap your Christmas presents for the next 10 years quit buying and hording it. BTW reliable sources tell me that most of the TP we consume is manufactured in Quebec not China. Irresponsible tv media and of course Facebook and other social media have created panic and doomsday thinking. Remember that most social media in today's world is crap at providing correct information and terrific at providing anonymity for someone behind a keyboard! 

My take on the whole thing? Don't travel, at least commercially, stay away from crowds, (Costco) and wash your friggin' hands 20 times or more a day. A good friend who is knowledgeable tells me that although the virus enters the body through the nose and mouth, most dies on its way to the stomach. It also enters the body through the eyes and ears!

Stop toughing your eyes, ears, nose and mouth and WASH YOUR HANDS frequently. 

No photo description available.

Hmm, not sure where those numbers come from. Seasonal flu has a 0.1% mortality rate. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/toaster/v2/charts/e08ea984fe0b4b7bba2c934c528f3b33.html?brand=view&webTheme=view&web=true&hideTitles=true

3 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

Private industry at work?  https://www.cleveland19.com/2020/03/14/federal-agents-seize-counterfeit-covid-test-kits-cbp-warns-public-bogus-goods/

The hospital that me and our friend were in just had it's first case, so no telling were this will go?

Funny thing is those confiscated Covid 19 test kits may in fact work. Centre for Disease Control is going to check em out. IMHO if a way existed to get cheap tests on the side without a huge cash grab I'd be all for it. Media is villainizing this 'seizure' playing up that it against the system. BUT the system is based on profit maximization for manufacturers. If these kits are in fact found to be legit I bet they will be destroyed for some reason or other.   

4 hours ago, cisco said:

Clinical testing on the first vaccine starts at the CDC in Atlanta tomorrow.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/government-official-coronavirus-vaccine-trial-starts-monday/ar-BB11ecp5?li=BBnb7Kz

Edited by Crimsongulf

10 minutes ago, Crimsongulf said:

Clinical testing on the first vaccine starts at the CDC in Atlanta tomorrow.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/government-official-coronavirus-vaccine-trial-starts-monday/ar-BB11ecp5?li=BBnb7Kz

Fantastic news! A province out west.... Alberta I recall...has a vaccine that works on animals and is getting approvals for clinical trials. I pray a vaccine gets approved and mass-produced asap. Oh and made affordable or free for all. Still can't slow efforts to flatten the infection curve since a vaccine is still a ways off. A year to 18 months to validate results. That is forever in terms of how this virus follows exponential growth curve unless serious intervention occurs.

Edited by cisco

45 minutes ago, cisco said:

Fantastic news! A province out west.... Alberta I recall...has a vaccine that works on animals and is getting approvals for clinical trials. I pray a vaccine gets approved and mass-produced asap. Oh and made affordable or free for all. Still can't slow efforts to flatten the infection curve since a vaccine is still a ways off. A year to 18 months to validate results. That is forever in terms of how this virus follows exponential growth curve unless serious intervention occurs.

A lot of the red tape has been removed from the trials..  A year to 18 months it is in the rear view without a vaccine.

I hope you mean all stores except. And not all businesses or the stores will run out of food in days. Trucking companies need to move the food and gas. Someone need to produce the fuel someone needs to make the food and so on

• Like 1

We will find out at 1PM. My wife works at a Shoppers. I'm sure they aren't going to keep the make up counter open. Man I'm not prepared for her to be sequestered with me for more than a few hours at a time. It's not like when she's off or on vacation but we have to suck it up and do our part. If you have  elderly neighbours reach out to them, they need our help. I am going to the store latter to get my 88 year old next door neighbours  who lives alone list of stuff she needs. IA small gesture that means a lot to her, her son lives in Florida. I have a few Comfo 2 respirators with type 2 and 3 cartridges, nothing is getting through those bad boys. 

Want to bet masked criminals will start jacking up pharmacies now as wearing masks is normal. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

We had lunch in a local restaurant and hour ago that's normally packed this time of day and when we arrived at 11:00 there was only one other customer in the place. Waitress said it's been like this for a week now.

On 3/14/2020 at 2:34 PM, Big Cliff said:

I am a little concerned about it too, my travel insurance runs out March 28th, if for any reason I can't cross back into Canada on the 26th I could be in a tight spot, no place to stay state side and no health insurance. I guess we'll just have to stay on top of it and react accordingly 

not to be alarmist Cliff, but I'd haul tail and get back here asap. No coverage in the US is a recipe for massive headaches. stay safe

edit- caught up, and see that you're heading back tomorrow. whew...

Edited by woodenboater
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Tjames09 said:

Hmm, not sure where those numbers come from. Seasonal flu has a 0.1% mortality rate. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/toaster/v2/charts/e08ea984fe0b4b7bba2c934c528f3b33.html?brand=view&webTheme=view&web=true&hideTitles=true

Yup, up to 650,000 globally depending on the year, based on 2019 population. The chart showing the Covid 19 data was a moving target frozen at a point in time over a week ago. Just sayin"...

400 cases reported in Canada this afternoon, this morning was about 370. With a population of 37 million what is the percentage. My arithmetic isn't what it used to be. .0001%? 

What CBC reported as to what the PM was going to say during his presser was not accurate whatsoever. I won't even repeat it, that's how rumours start. Trump actually sounded like a normal person during his press conference. Mike Pence is impressive to me. I have never heard him speak  since elected. Good move to have him head up this task force, he seems to be a good organizer. Dr. Tony Fauci is a Superstar. He isn't afraid to correct  false statements. No matter who said them. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Terry said:

I hope you mean all stores except. And not all businesses or the stores will run out of food in days. Trucking companies need to move the food and gas. Someone need to produce the fuel someone needs to make the food and so on

It's been years now but I usually made 15 - 30 stops a day and the distance could cover 75 miles from starting point to turn around point, what  a way to spread an illness? Trucking companies forcing employees to work up to 15 hours a day didn't seem like the best way to keep their employees healthy to me? You are right though, stuff has to move or the system can crash?