New toy tomorrow

GBW

So the past year I have had some changes going on work wise and relationship wise (wait this is stating off sounding odd based on the title of the post).  Changed shops, still in the auto industry as an advisor but with a smaller private place vs a dealership.  Met a woman 18 months ago and things are going so well I asked her to marry me (2nd time's a charm if the 1st failed, right?).  I recently listed and sold my house in less than in week for over asking price too.  So what's this new toy you say?  I decided to get back into a truck.  Tomorrow I pick up my new 2020 Sierra 1500 Elevation edition all blacked out in what they call Pacific Blue.  After the house sale is closed in early May it just might be time to boat shop too.  

Thanks for reading and have a good one all.  It's going to feel great to be back in a truck vs my little 2017 Chevy Cruze.  It was/is a good car but I need some more space.  

88986253_490125138538035_7376175790473347072_n.jpg

89245409_2523887621262656_6374156767810551808_n.jpg

• Like 3

Nice truck,

I own one too,  a 2018 good little truck, a couple of mentions after owning one for 2 years.

What tranny did it come with? My 8 speed seems to shift hard from 1st to 2nd occasionally.  Dealership says its normal... and to wait and see if there is a software update for the truck...

Also terrible wind noise on the front windows, coming from the seals around the side mirrors... this is a known "soft" issue with these trucks.

Other then that shes been a good truck and hauls my 38' camper with ease. Good luck with your new "baby" and congrats on the upcoming nuptials. 

G.

20190521_075423.jpg

Edited by Gerritt
  • Like 1

Thank you all.

Hey G, this one has the 10 speed tranny in it.  As for wind noise, nothing here (yet) and I was driving at 93Kph for a while and there was come crazy cross winds blowing but it was quiet.  My 2017 Cruze Hatchback had a LOT of wind noise too. 

My plans trailer tow wise is it will tow a boat and or a small enclosed trailer for a track bike.  Not too sure on a camper in my new future but one never knows...  

89073822_245062913167133_4467686068619051008_n.jpg

89165276_211922749869762_6044405297835933696_n.jpg

89352573_260647448258447_4619007198205313024_n.jpg

• Like 1

I have the 2018 version and has been rock solid. 50,000 k and it has not been babied. 3 trips to the Nipigon area, 1 to Quebec and another pulling my camper to PEI.. I will have to keep it for awhile because it has some scratches from the bush.. my only complaint is that the wheels and tires are for in town driving and not off road..

• Like 1

Congrats on everything Geoff. About time is right! Love that ride. I have always been a GM kinda guy. Dad was a GM man from day 1 as Mom and his main ride. The very 1st memory I have of our family car was a beautiful 55 Chevy, 2 door hardtop. Predominantly Forest Green with a white roof and white body accents. Would that be nice today or what?. I know it had leather interior because I remember I liked the taste of leather and I would chew on the backs of the front seat. Come on I was 2. 

All those Ram Rodders and Foolish-150 owners are jealous of that beauty you have now. That colour I used to call Blackberry, on black it is a head turner. I am still driving my 011 Silverado my wonderful wife bought me brand new, my 1st ever brand new vehicle I ever had. With all this talk of doom and gloom last night we were talking and we said maybe it's time to trade her in and get into a nice new Caddy SUV. I've had a few huge Caddies, my wife called the 81 Eldorado "The Love Barge."

You will love her, the new bride too, good luck to you both. 

edit: Be careful backing up, those tail lights ain't cheap. Please don't ask me why. I paid 200 bucks less for my 1st car, a 66' MGB. I just looked at the pics again. That is one mean machine Geoff me boy. Maybe a Sierra. I had a 89' Sierra short box step side before this Chevy, traded her in on the Chevy with 400,000 miles on the 350, couldn't kill it. Think hard about the underbody protection. I didn't get it but now think I should have. Maybe not from the dealer, shop around with the aftermarket guys if you are interested. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 12:01 PM, Gerritt said:

What tranny did it come with? My 8 speed seems to shift hard from 1st to 2nd occasionally.  Dealership says its normal... and to wait and see if there is a software update for the truck...

My Ram did the same when I got it. 2014 new 8 speed tranny . They installed new updates and it never been back.

Nice ride G.

• Like 1

So I went to Burnt River yesterday to see my folks and today we left there and took my son home in Brooklin (Whitby North) and then back to Lindsay.  When in an 80 zone the cruse was set to 93 and my average per 100k was 11.1/100 on gas.  Yes I passed people and drove like a normal person and not flooring it all over the place but getting up to speed quick when needing too.  It's WAY better on gas than my Ram ever was!  Still no wind noise to be heard.  

The only thing I can feel when in cruse control at 93 is a little shift what feels like a tranny bump but I know it's not that; it's dropping down from 8 cylinders to either 6, 4 or even 2!  At 93 on a flat road the RPM's are 1200 to 1300.  So far I am impressed!  Even my father who has a 2018 F350 is very impressed with the look and features of this truck.  

Thank you all for the kind words too, cheers.  

There are going to be little bumps and bangs in a new 4X4. I had the same thing with my Chevy Silverado  when new. A definite bang shifting into reverse, a little hesitation in some shifts in the tranny. I took it in when it had less than 500KMS for that 1st service and the dealer said it was normal. It all stopped at around 5K or so if I can remember that far back. No worries.

I have no idea how many Lts/100k's I get. It's a 350 V8 4X4 full size 1/2 ton truck. When the fuel gauge says I need gas I fill it up. Don't become one of these guys that are consumed by gas mileage. I was glad it didn't have the onboard mileage thing. What are you going to do if it isn't great, trade it in nearly new? It isn't a VW Bug. Enjoy.

The "bangs" are torque converter lock up.. when you don't want it, usually after a quick throttle hit and back off. My F150 almost broke my back a few times, but the latest reprogram fixed it all up. Break her in and come first service see what they need to do.

• Like 1

Sounds like everything is going great for you Geoff, the new soon to be wife, a new home, new job and the new truck....it's not a FORD but still pretty nice  LOL

Life is wonderful when everything goes right so congrats to you !!

• Like 1

For Owners Repair Daily. It's old but still applies. Every F-150 I see is different the last one I saw or the next one I will see. I saw a show on TV and they said new F-150 buyers have over 950 choices of trim and options to make their truck unique. That is kind of cool this Chevy driver must admit. The major reason I chose a Silverado was the price. More than 10K less than my next door neighbours F-150 he bought a few months new before I did, basically the same options etc. other than the plastic wood grain. GM gave me $3500.00 for a retire your GM product. 89' GMC Sierra that was worth scrap price. 

Probably wont experience the hard shifting with that 10speed, it came out just after i purchased my truck Z71 kodiak edition... my understanding is now that the 10speed is out the 8speed is considered a relic and updates for it may not happen... i bought this GM because of the price (i saved an additional 5k because of where i work) and 0% interest.

Fingers crossed they do release a fix for it. If not I'll purchase a tuner AFTER the factory warranty runs out.

G.

4 hours ago, Gerritt said:

Probably wont experience the hard shifting with that 10speed, it came out just after i purchased my truck Z71 kodiak edition... my understanding is now that the 10speed is out the 8speed is considered a relic and updates for it may not happen... i bought this GM because of the price (i saved an additional 5k because of where i work) and 0% interest.

Fingers crossed they do release a fix for it. If not I'll purchase a tuner AFTER the factory warranty runs out.

G.

They have to support it as long as there is warranty.  After that if it is a known common issue they will still support it, with in reason...