worst hotel/motel youve ever stayed at!?

This is a hilarious thread from another forum that Im stealing.

Heres my best one

Wasnt for fishing but it was for the NHL winter classic in Anne Arbor.

This still cracks me up to this day. My best friend is actually one of the smartest people I have ever met hes taken an IQ test and scored somewhere around 190 if I remember correctly. Anyways long story short, hes an investment wiz and when the winter classic was announced he immediately capitalized and bought up a bunch of rooms in Anne Arbour knowing that he would get a very nice return on investment by reselling the rooms to friends and people that he knew travelling down from Canada to watch the hockey game.

I'm sure the folks at the Victory Inne and Suites were confused as hell when some canadian called up randomly in July to book 5 rooms for new years lol.

Got to the hotel and as was arranged, I brought an air mattress and bedding to sleep on the floor of this room being shared between 6 people including my best friend Graeme who booked all of these rooms. The room seemed to have random furniture being stored in it (a random large armoir?) the shower literally had a vice grip to turn on the water and there was no shower curtain on the curtain rod ahahaha. All of these things considered heres the funniest bit. I asked my buddy what he paid for the room and he confidently and proudly said $70...to which I then clued him into the fact that he could have really splurged and spent an extra $30 split between 6 people to afford a shower curtain and a clean bed lol.

Wasnt me, but my aunt, cousin and oldest brother stayed at a motel in The Pas Manitoba that had chainlink fence over the windows! ahahaha.

Whats your best story?

• Haha 1

It was the 80's and I was playing in a "touring band". By touring, I mean playing some of the stickiest floored establishments from Windsor to New Liskeard.

We were playing in Barrie, right downtown during their annual street party. The hotel provides the band with "accommodations" while playing there.

We load our personal items into the room, only to discover the following...

-light  switch for the room is a coat hanger, hanging off of two bare wires in the switch box

-there is graffiti covering every square inch of every wall in the place. we spent hours reading and laughing

-there is no shower, only a massive bath tub. Written in black marker on the inside of the tub, a picture of a cockroach and a note saying "go ahead, get in"!

-We quickly discovered that it was best to leave the lights on, all the time! We turned them off once, the walls and floor began to move! We also made sure that all of our bags we sealed shut as best they could because we didn't want to bring home any uninvited guests

-we were required to play a Saturday afternoon matinee. up on stage, doing my thing and I look to my left, at the bar and the entire top of the bar is moving! La cooka racha are racing up and down the bar.

-Barrie was celebrating some kind of street party as mentioned, down town street is completely closed off. Now remember, we are a rock band and as such, we didn't usually hit the hay until sunrise, too jacked up from playing. At 9:00am sharp, this massive pipe organ on a flat bed truck starts playing. It's right outside of our window and shaking the entire building. I have grown to hate pipe organs!

-back the Saturday matinee... locals we encouraged to come up and play a tune with the band, we were happy to do it. A guy shows up with his guitar, we greet him enthusiastically asking him what song he wants to play... I kid you not, this is how the conversation went.

Local - "do you guys know "slow moving Walter, that fire engine guy?" (DEAD serious)

Band- looking at each other thoroughly confused... "no, we don't know that song" "Can you maybe sing some of it for us?"

Local - starts humming the following "Bah bah bah, bah bah babha, bah ba ba, bah bah. (Smoke on the water)

Dude thought that Smoke on the Water, Deep Purple was "Slow moving Walter, that fire engine guy".

There are more, but this is the one that I'll never forget!

HH

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Ahhh... Business trip to Tennessee... customer says they have a preferred hotel... prefer that I book there. 

I pull up, and geez... although it is a big name hotel chain, the place looks a bit sketchy. I check in regardless, and head up to my room.

Open the room door... what the hell.... Sniff - smells like sh!t in here... sure enough, behind door #2 is an unflushed toilet, which is plugged and nearly overflowing. I grab my bag, head back to the lobby. Told Ms behind the front desk, expecting another room. Nope... she walks back behind the front desk, grabs a plunger, and passes it over the front desk toward me!!! 

I burst into laughter, then left.

Edited by Out4Trout
  • Haha 1

These hotels above sound like 5 star establishments compared to some of the dives I have stayed in around the World. I''ll tell about a few. The list is long.

Quinte Hotel, circa 87'. Had a weekend off and decided to go to our camp on the Ottawa. It took 10 hrs to get to Bellville. It's a long weekend and it's 11PM. The only place I could find was the Quinte Hotel downtown. The guy at the desk was hammered, and not on booze. His drug kit was sitting on the counter he forgot to stash. He asks how many hours do I need it for? I ask about a room, 50 bucks cash. I asked for a key, no lock just use the dead bolt. But the rooms not ready because the guy in it has it for another 1/2 hour. I didn't pay him and slept in the car at the Mall. 

Niagara Falls NY. 2 couples, dates not wives, we were cheap recently divorced guys doing a winter weekend in the Falls, 1989, it's 2AM and too under the influence to drive . I must have passed this hotel hundreds of times on my way to my Grand Parents in North Tonawanda since I was a kid and thought it might be nice and took a cab to this place which I knew was close and described it to the cabby, he made a double take and asked " You sure pal?". The foyer looked nice and we get 2 rooms, cash only I can't remember how much but cheap. The clerk hands us sheets, blankets and pillows and some kind of menu over the counter and a flashlight each. The elevator is out and walk the 3 floors up. Not many lights work in the hallway thus the flashlights. The rooms, OMG. The mattresses were against the wall and had to put them in the frames. The tub, sink were full of stanky, skanky water, kind of matched the dates. Toilets OK. No toilet paper, paper towel roll, 2 grey towels hanging. The phone rings and the guy asks if we have chosen anything from the menu, I tell him we don't want room service at 2:30 AM. I set the clock for 6AM and we got out of Dodge before we sobered up. I forgot to leave the menu and found it in my bag a few days later. It was a menu for drugs with code names. Wowza. I'm glad the Customs guy didn't find it. We would have had some esplainin' to do. Went for breakfast at the Space Ship and stayed in a nicer hotel on our side that night. 

Shortly after our kids moved to Florida Uncle Dave and I agreed to drive their van down for them as the mover wanted $2500...when we got to Daytona we grabbed a bite to eat then looked for a place to stay for the night...We looked at a couple of places and decided to stay at a place that looked OK from the outside but the room stunk, the washroom was icky...I remember sprinkling some Gold Bond powder all over my bed to cover up the smell as it was too late to go looking for an other motel and it was a day before all the bikers hit town for their annual rally... We checked out very early and had a shower at Coral Gables...LOL

Edited by Beans

2 hours ago, Beans said:

Shortly after our kids moved to Florida Uncle Dave and I agreed to drive their van down for them as the mover wanted $2500...when we got to Daytona we grabbed a bite to eat then looked for a place to stay for the night...We looked at a couple of places and decided to stay at a place that looked OK from the outside but the room stunk, the washroom was icky...I remember sprinkling some Gold Bond powder all over my bed to cover up the smell as it was too late to go looking for an other motel and it was a day before all the bikers hit town for their annual rally... We checked out very early and had a shower at Coral Gables...LOL

That's why you always travel with a few sleeping bags, and of course Gold Bond. 

On 3/16/2020 at 9:06 PM, irishfield said:

Anyone mention a place in Picton yet... lol.. how about Belleville

Best Western Belleville.

My wife has MS and is in a power chair.  Her sister passed away in 2014 and we had to stay in Belleville rather than the cottage.  Of course we booked a Handicap room.  Their version was to put a grab rail up.  The chair wouldn't go through the bathroom door.

You couldn't swing a cat in that room.

Edited by Crimsongulf

Driving across Canada once way back. Couldn't sleep in the truck one more night so took a break and stayed in a hotel east of Thunder Bay. Room was above a bar that went nuts till about two am. After the bar closed the freight trains would blast their horns every time they passed the hotel about ten feet away! No level crossings any where near there. I guess they were just having fun. Ended up leaving at 6 am with no sleep and sleeping in the truck down the road!

• 2 years later...

Well adding to the jocularity, I worked at the old Holiday Inn in Barrie for a short stint, the variety of critters(non human) roaming the halls and kitchen during quiet hours was just beyond belief.  I used to come home in the morning and get changed in my detached shed, less chance of bringing the bugs into the house.  I too would rather sleep in the back of my truck.

54 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Well adding to the jocularity, I worked at the old Holiday Inn in Barrie for a short stint, the variety of critters(non human) roaming the halls and kitchen during quiet hours was just beyond belief.  I used to come home in the morning and get changed in my detached shed, less chance of bringing the bugs into the house.  I too would rather sleep in the back of my truck.

Hence my bed on wheels.  ;)

20170624_120644.jpg

• Like 2

We call it the Beaverton Bellagio. The "Beaverton Motel Sorts Bar & Grill" What a dive it was, I say was, because they were doing renos when I was there. Got there and there's no office to check in at? Went to the bar that was in the basement and asked where I could get my room. I was asked how long I wanted the room for? I said for the night; she gave me a strange look? She then went and got a key and I paid for the night. Thought that while I was in a bar I'd have a drink. Asked the bar tender for a Rusty Nail (Scotch and Drambuie); she had no idea what that was; come-on your a bar tender? While having my drink two "ladies" came over and sat next to me, one on either side. OK Now I understand why I was asked how long I need the room for. LOL. Told the both of them I wasn't interested and they left as soon as a couple of other guys walked in. LOL Went to the room and there was unmade beds, a pizza box with a half eaten pizza in it. Condom wrappers on the bed stand (Safe sex you know). What the hell am I going to do? I went to the truck got my air mattress and sleeping bag. First sign of light the next morning I was out of there. LOL After that I decided I would sleep in the fish hut. I was warm and it was my dirt in there!!!! 

Dan...

Edited by DanD
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2023 at 4:25 PM, DanD said:

We call it the Beaverton Bellagio. The "Beaverton Motel Sorts Bar & Grill" What a dive it was, I say was, because they were doing renos when I was there. Got there and there's no office to check in at? Went to the bar that was in the basement and asked where I could get my room. I was asked how long I wanted the room for? I said for the night; she gave me a strange look? She then went and got a key and I paid for the night. Thought that while I was in a bar I'd have a drink. Asked the bar tender for a Rusty Nail (Scotch and Drambuie); she had no idea what that was; come-on your a bar tender? While having my drink two "ladies" came over and sat next to me, one on either side. OK Now I understand why I was asked how long I need the room for. LOL. Told the both of them I wasn't interested and they left as soon as a couple of other guys walked in. LOL Went to the room and there was unmade beds, a pizza box with a half eaten pizza in it. Condom wrappers on the bed stand (Safe sex you know). What the hell am I going to do? I went to the truck got my air mattress and sleeping bag. First sign of light the next morning I was out of there. LOL After that I decided I would sleep in the fish hut. I was warm and it was my dirt in there!!!! 

Dan...

Beaverton should have alerted you to the conditions. 😂😂😂😂

On 1/8/2023 at 4:25 PM, DanD said:

Dan...

Wasn’t there a story a few years back about some of these ladies working the Beaverton ice huts? I swear to god this story broke maybe 7 years ago?

12 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Wasn’t there a story a few years back about some of these ladies working the Beaverton ice huts? I swear to god this story broke maybe 7 years ago?

No doubt In my mind that those two "ladies" were on the clock!!! LOL

Dan...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...