Another awesome day on the ice.

lickmyarmpit

3 hours ago, akaShag said:

Are there any outfitters on that lake yet?  A few years ago, there were none.  I'd like to fish Abitibi some winter....

Doug

There isn't alot of work from the ontario side to maintain an operation. But man that is some good fishing .

It's an interesting lake for sure.  The Ontario side is wilderness while the Quebec side is farmland.  The fish are light colored due to the suspended clay particles in the water.. Google earth gives you an idea of how vast the lake is.. I'd love to fish it one day..

Yes that is how things were a few years back when I was looking into it.

I know a couple lads from Bancroft who go there every year after the spring opener.  They set up a camp and fish for about a week, and catch a ton of walleye.  I guess the shoals are pretty interesting............

I've fished it from my boat in the summer but again access isn't the best and it's a really dangerous lake.  There are no markers and rocky shoals everywhere that are impossible to see until it's too late. Because the water always has very low visibility.  Definitely gonna put in some more time this soft water season and make my own charts. It really is a huge lake.  Bigger than nipissing and simcoe. 

20191005_142906.jpg

20191005_140739.jpg

• Like 1

Flew over this lake a few times when I worked there and it certainly is big.  With the poor water clarity (double double on a good day) a shoal is likely to chew up your lower unit before you even see it.  I fished with my young boys at the time and while I had the proper tow vehicle and two outboards, I wasn't willing to risk a breakdown out there.  Enjoy the exploring.