Simcoe Perch

Headhunter

i love fishing for perch, be it on the ice or from a boat. The fact they they are generally willing and able partners, is really appealing to me.

That said, when ever a perch report comes up, I take notice. @misfish showed us pic of his 15+inch perch the other day and there was another poster who mentioned a 17+inch perch caught outta Simcoe. Myself, I managed a 13+inch perch a couple of weeks ago and it got me thinkin how long before we see a 20inch perch pulled outta Simcoe?

With the vast amount of food available to them, i have to wonder how much longer before we break the 20inch barrier and what do we think that will mean for the perch fishery on Simoce?

HH

59 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

what do we think that will mean for the perch fishery on Simoce?

Larger fillets. :lol:

Looking forward to the weekend and top that 15 . With the weather, it,s going to be sweet just walking and no hut  to drag around.

1 hour ago, Headhunter said:

I've been out the last two weekends so no fishin for me this weekend! I don't want to come home to hot tongue and cold shoulder for dinner!

HH

I got over that years ago, or should I say, use to it .

• Like 2

I'll never say never but I don't see a 20 incher  happening. Been a hardcore 3 season percher on Simcoe since the mid 80's and I have had many many  days where I have gotten many over 14 inches the same day,  happened this past Monday as a matter of fact. However I have still never caught a 15 incher.  People are talking about the perch sizes getting bigger but I have not seen this yet. People had a theory that perch would start getting bigger when the gobies invasion started...that's been about 20 years now has  it not?  I'd love to see 15+ inchers happening more regularly but from my experiences I'm not holding my breath waiting for it.

2 hours ago, misfish said:

I got over that years ago, or should I say, use to it .

I never asked to go.  Always home by 6. And always did  the outside house work. No complaints except, clean the laundry tub after you are finished if we got fish.

One night at wedding we decided to go and had no lunch. We went into the kitchen asked for foil wrap and made lunch! Went home and away we went. 

• Haha 1

I don't believe in 17+ inch perch.  A 20" with Simcoe proportions would be nearing 5lbs.  Erie has had gobies for even longer and 2lbers are still rare.

Edit:  I just read the other thread and I'll take Chongers word for it because I don't believe in 8lb smallies either but I know Dave does lol.    

Edited by Chuck Enwinde
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Myself, I managed a 13+inch perch a couple of weeks ago and it got me thinkin how long before we see a 20inch perch pulled outta Simcoe?

With the vast amount of food available to them, i have to wonder how much longer before we break the 20inch barrier and what do we think that will mean for the perch fishery on Simoce?

HH

Never (not to be rude haha). The world record caught in 1865 was 4lbs 3oz and was 18" long. Simcoe will spit out some huge perch in the years to come but they won't hit 20", I can definitely see 16"+ being a real possibility though, and I definitely can see a new Ontario record coming out of Simcoe.

6 hours ago, Garfisher said:

Never (not to be rude haha). The world record caught in 1865 was 4lbs 3oz and was 18" long. Simcoe will spit out some huge perch in the years to come but they won't hit 20", I can definitely see 16"+ being a real possibility though, and I definitely can see a new Ontario record coming out of Simcoe.

I'm sure it already has but not registered the Ontario record is :

It weighed in at 2.45 lb. It was caught while fishing from shore in the Detroit River, ON in March 21, 2010. On that day Angelko limited-out. The length of the perch was 15 3/4″ and the girth was 12 1/8″.Oct 30, 2015