My new(ish) Hobby - Kayak Fishing

gordy28

The past few years I had been having a debate with myself.  As my daughter continued to show an interest in fishing and I wanted to be able to do day trips on weekend I kept thinking - should I buy a boat or a kayak?

Then my older brother and our friend Mark kept talking about fishing kayaks - interesting

Well after a bunch of debating I bought myself a Feel Free Lure kayak and my daughter a smaller Pelican Kayak

I am quite happy with my choice - but I will say I think I may spend the $$ and get the pedal drive for my boat - its not a cheap addition but I think it will help with positioning and will help with getting from spot a to b on bigger lakes 

I have two posts up
One on how I chose my kayak and some initial observations
https://www.northernjacks.com/post/so-you-want-to-buy-a-fishing-kayak

The other about a trip my bro and I took in October to Haliburton to fish in our yaks

https://www.northernjacks.com/post/yakking-in-haliburton

Thanks in advance for the read

Andrew

• Like 1

I don’t own a fishing kayak. Have only seen them at shows.  They look like they’d be fun under ideal circumstances.  Unfortunately in my world conditions are not always ideal. Weather, waves, boat traffic, and range make me think these are just sorta toys. 

You’ll eventually want a decent boat. Especially with family. 

Just sayin. 

10 minutes ago, captpierre said:

I don’t own a fishing kayak. Have only seen them at shows.  They look like they’d be fun under ideal circumstances.  Unfortunately in my world conditions are not always ideal. Weather, waves, boat traffic, and range make me think these are just sorta toys. 

Just sayin. 

Yeah, they aren't for big water or big fish.  ;)

1 hour ago, captpierre said:

Just sayin. 

I don't disagree that I will want a boat eventually - but at this stage in my life much easier to fish in some of the smaller conservation areas (Island Lake, Kelso, Rockood etc) for a few hours than taking a day to head out with a boat.  My thought was depreciation/limited use a lot easier to handle at $1000 than at $10000 lol

Thats an incredible video Drifter - thanks for sharing

I enjoy kayak fishing so much I sold my boat and now only fish from a 'yak.

I've bought a new (to me) fishing kayak each of the last three years and finally settled on one I love and won't be selling - a 2018 Hobie Mirage Outback. I love pedaling and wouldn't go back.

6 minutes ago, Dutch01 said:

That's funny! The reason I asked is my first kayak was a Perception Pescador 120. I recognized the shape cause Perception used the old Tarpon molds.

Yeah meant 120.

I bought it because of all the good reviews of the Tarpon 120's.

I really want an Ocean PA 12 or 14 though.

My buddy in FLA has one and it's awesome. Even my wobbly butt could probably stand up in it.

• Like 1

Dutch

My brother bought a used Hobie Pro Angler 14 with Mirage drive and I tried it out before I bought mine.  Really loved it.  Our good friend bought a Hobie Mirage w Mirage and loved it.  I just chickened out at the price point 

Dave I also looked hard at the Perception Pescador Pro w the pedal drive but decided in my feelfree

All nice boats   it's like anything once you start looking the choice can be overwhelming 

So far I am happy but as mentioned I think I may add pedals 

• Like 1

Gordy - I got mine lightly used from a friend and at a friend price or I'd not have been able to afford a Hobie myself. I'd still be in my WS ATAK 120, which I also loved but  I have a bad shoulder so I wanted pedals before I needed pedals if you know what I mean.

There are so many  great kayaks out there now (and a bunch of really cool new ones dropping this year) there's really a kayak for everyone.

On 3/1/2020 at 6:46 PM, gordy28 said:

The other about a trip my bro and I took in October to Haliburton to fish in our yaks

https://www.northernjacks.com/post/yakking-in-haliburton

Thanks in advance for the read

Andrew

I was at work earlier and just got the chance to give this a read. Sounds like a great day for you and your bro.

17 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

Gordy - I got mine lightly used from a friend and at a friend price or I'd not have been able to afford a Hobie myself. I'd still be in my WS ATAK 120, which I also loved but  I have a bad shoulder so I wanted pedals before I needed pedals if you know what I mean.

There are so many  great kayaks out there now (and a bunch of really cool new ones dropping this year) there's really a kayak for everyone.

I hear you.  One of the days we were out the wind took us a long way down a productive shore, almost no paddling but coming back man I was dead by the time I got to the dock while my brother looked like he could go for another tour with the pedals.  He bought his used as well - although even at used it was out of my comfort zone.  I will say its a beauty ride and he has no complaints

16 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

I was at work earlier and just got the chance to give this a read. Sounds like a great day for you and your bro.

Glad you enjoyed it.  Hoping to do a lot more of those trips this summer - some close to home (Grand River, Island Lake etc) and some more small lakes in cottage country

Cheers

Andrew

2 minutes ago, gordy28 said:

Glad you enjoyed it.  Hoping to do a lot more of those trips this summer - some close to home (Grand River, Island Lake etc) and some more small lakes in cottage country

Cheers

Andrew

If interested check out "Kawartha  Kayak Fishing Club" and "Hard Knox Kayak Fish'n" on Facebook. We have very regular get togethers and often get 20+ kayaks show up to attack a lake.  I've met a lot of good fishing buddies through those clubs. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 9:24 AM, Henricus said:

I bought a PA14 in ‘14 and love it.  The big boat now sits idle most of the time.

A38C4580-5AD6-4C24-A8A4-9AC851A75885.jpeg

That's the same ride my bro has (maybe even the same year).  Its awesome - and if I had a dream kayak that would be it

• 3 weeks later...