Lakers and whitefish

limeyangler

Hi all,

Got out for some whitefish and lake trout. Had not had a laker all year until today. Actually went to the same spot two days ago and managed one whitefish and some pike and lost two trout at the hole, one being the biggest trout I have ever had on my line, felt like throwing up. That first day there were tons of fish around but they were being finicky, so I went back today much earlier in the morning, it paid off! Had around 8 whitefish in the 24” to 27” range, a couple of pike and landed two lakers, the bigger one at 34” and lost 3 with numerous chasers, all that packed into 4 hours made for a fun morning. I was fishing in 34’FOW , pike and lakers were on a 4” tube jig, and the whitefish were going crazy for a 1” purple and white crappie tube jig on a blue and glow 16th oz jig.

48EB333A-EC4F-47F0-B4B6-A90CE1076A07.jpeg

11D727CC-4919-4E36-8E44-5DD3CF831BBA.jpeg

A34CAF2A-13F8-45F7-980E-B2F8063FA3D0.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mamona said:

Another great report. I wonder how are you finding them, any tips?

Thanks! On this lake I am fishing a mud flat close to mid lake structure. I don’t fish deeper than 40’ FOW although the lake goes to 150’FOW. This lake is full of smelt which the whitefish are keyed into, small white tube jigs and even up to 4.5” tube jigs get the best results, tried everything that the collective wisdom on whitefish suggests, but white crappie tubes on a 16th oz jig head is best on this lake from my experiences. The bonus of the whitefish liking the tubes is that the trout love them too, as you can see in the video that BIG laker took a 1” tube jig. Hope that helps.

• Like 1