You just never know.

3 weeks ago today our friend and house mate left here to have lunch with his sister, he has been hospitalized ever since, 30 years old, the same age as my son. The first reports were that he was acting crazy, not that it couldn't happen, but in the 5-6 years he has lived with us I have never seen any hints of it. Now the thinking is this Anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis - Wikipedia which seems to make a lot more sense to me. There was actually a book and movie about a case that seems similar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_on_Fire_(film).

Needless to say we are hoping for a good outcome and complete recovery for our friend.

I'm sorry to hear that Paul. I read the Wiki description, Wikipedia is known to have a lot of mis information in their descriptions.  In my experience young people are getting diseases today much earlier than in the past. I can't quantify that statement but just sitting in the Oncologists waiting room or the cancer treatment centre in London I drove  a buddy to almost 1/2 of the patients look to be under 40. An entire generation weened on fast food, processed food and microwaves. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

I don't know John, more people more chances of illness? plus more reporting and exchange of info? He is awaiting transfer to his 3rd hospital, the Cleveland Clinic's main campus, just hoping they can help.

Good point Paul. You always have a good point. I hope they can help your young friend. As you may know I have family and friends in Youngstown and I am told that the Cleveland hospitals are top notch. One of my pals lost both legs when a woman putting on her makeup came around the corner and pinned him against a cement truck, airlifted to  a Cleveland hospital where they saved his life. 

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Good point Paul. You always have a good point. I hope they can help your young friend. As you may know I have family and friends in Youngstown and I am told that the Cleveland hospitals are top notch. One of my pals lost both legs when a woman putting on her makeup came around the corner and pinned him against a cement truck, airlifted to  a Cleveland hospital where they saved his life. 

John, I am most familiar with the Cleveland Clinic, it seems that most hospitals in the area are now associated with them or University Hospitals. The Clinic main campus is one of the best hospitals in the world, and between patients and the doctors looks like the UN building, people from all over the world giving and getting treatment. More than one hospital building there, it's a complex.