Electronic advice needed

" Can I use a 36 volt charger on a 48 volt golf cart?

No. You must match volts to volts. A 36V cart requires a 36 volt golf cart charger. A 48V cart requires a 48 volt golf cart charger. You can burn up your batteries if you do not charge with the proper voltage. Check out our 36V vs. 48V Guide for more information. "

I am assuming from that if you have a mix you may have problems?

https://batteryoutlet.ca/

maybe you could call?

It should work; but he'll be shortening the life of all the batteries. The 8 volt battery will never get a full charge due to the cart's charger, charges the batteries as a pack; adding up to approx 36 volts. So that 8 volt battery will only get a partial charge. The 6 volt batteries will also get cheated in charge; for the same reason. The charger looks at total voltage not the individual battery(s). What he'll likely notice is the the range of the cart will continually become shorter after some time.

Dan.

Edited by DanD
  • Like 1

When batteries are in series the only thing you want is the same amps. They are only as strong as the battery with the lowest current output 

I  decided to google to make sure I was right 

You can definitely connect batteries that have different voltage in series. It is recommended to have batteries with equal current output, but it will not damage your circuit if they are different. In series circuits the output voltage will be the sum of all voltages outputs of the batteries connected in series.

Edited by Terry
  • Like 2

Thank you for all the information, I  finally convinced him to buy a load tester and we quickly determined that he had one really bad battery and 5 that were borderline. $750.00 later and the golf cart runs like new.

I really appreciate the replies!