The Angry Net Man - A fishing confession

gordy28

Was out with the guys in my group to discuss a few things for our upcoming trip to Miniss Lake (in August but a good excuse for beers and wings)

As always we spent a good amount of time reliving past trips and ripping into each other.

One thread that kept coming up for me is the way I get when a fish is on the line and it spawned a new post 

https://www.northernjacks.com/post/the-angry-net-man

Thanks in advance for the read

And here is a shot of a PB netted by me lol

074.jpg

Nice funny read! Worst I've experienced is a couple different guys ice fishing over the years. I get a nice fish on and 'buddy' runs over to 'help'. So as I'm standing there with rod bent and drag working when needed his idiotic idea of 'helping' is to kneel, grab my line and try and take over the fight while yelling how I need to be careful cuz it's a biggun!! I have to yell to eventually get him to let go my line to 'permit' me to land my own fish!! Doesn't do much for the angling experience.  

Edited by cisco

More than a few times I have told my 1st mate when I had a big Walleye on that was a netting novice that "if you touch that net I am going to knock you out." Not good for one to enhance self esteem in your net man. I can honestly say I have lost 3 fish because my line broke off. Drag on too tight my 1st time using a spinning reel I borrowed from my brother turned upside down because I'm left handed, the 2nd my knot broke fishing the Maitland River near Wingham for Smallies and the 3rd when I was playing with an ultra lite and I hooked up with a big Farm Animal (sheepshead) at the Hydro station at Nanticoke on Erie.

I once acted like a Jack Wad trying my best to knock off a buddies 4th big Rainbow of the day  fishing Lake Bernard and I was on the net, he was the only one in the boat with 3 of us that hooked up that day. I thought he was going to have a stroke screaming at me. I finally netted it. Why do that? He is a guy that throws nickels around like manhole covers and every fish he ever caught went in the freezer to take home and ate all the food we went to work for bought and cooked for him, he was a professional unemployed citizen but an excellent fisherman, one of the best I have ever fished with. Either on Comp or EI and bragged about ripping off the Gov. Where did he think the Gov. came up with the money to pay the lout? From you and I that's where. Now he is 65 and his CPP is around 100 bucks a month. Too bad so sad. Where was I? Sorry all, I'm all ranted out, thanks. 

One of the guys I fish with up Near Nipigon gets a little excited at net time..  You would think as a former resort owner and guide that he would be cool as a cucumber but man he used to yell at how we even reeled in the fish..Thankfully he's mellowed in the last few years and actually let's someone else run the boat and net the fish although he still hates losing a fish. It's not like we don't catch a lot because we almost always limit out...

Thanks for the feedback guys

I think we all know on guy like me (a little jumpy with a fish on the line) or we are that guy lol

In general I find I relax more as the number of fish caught goes up - on our fly ins I am always a bit edgy until I know everyone is getting into fish.  I think its a result of doing a lot of the research leading up to each one