Top 5 Walleye Fisheries In Canada

FishFishing

I read the Erie lake wide allowable catch limit in 2019 was 8.5 million walleye. 😳    Between sport and commercial fishing.

That’s a pile of eyes I’ll have to tap into some day.....says this Erie walleye virgin.  😎

Edited by captpierre

On 2/24/2020 at 9:16 PM, captpierre said:

Cool but how does Erie not make the list 😳

Exactly captainpierre. Many polls have Erie as #1 in the world.  Bay of Quinte, yes. I've never fished for Pics west but there are thousands of Walleye factories in Ontario. They should take their Ontario Outdoors Cards from these 2 imposters. Blasphemy I say, blasphemy.

DSCF1617.JPG

Edited by Old Ironmaker

1 hour ago, captpierre said:

I read the Erie lake wide allowable catch limit in 2019 was 8.5 million walleye. 😳    Between sport and commercial fishing.

That’s a pile of eyes I’ll have to tap into some day.....says this Erie walleye virgin.  😎

Just did some math. At a 4 lb average that’s 17,000 tons of walleye harvestable 😲

I've seen the commercial boats come in at Port Dover just packed full of big Pickerel and Perch. Sad in many ways but those guys need to make a living too, I get that. No commercial fishing on the US side of Erie for many years now. I don't know about the other Great Lakes we share a border with. 

Just did some math. At a 4 lb average that’s 17,000 tons of walleye harvestable 😲

If you ever get this way Capt. I will gladly have you out as my 1st mate. I have to warn you long lining is the most boring fishing I have ever done. It makes up for it when you have a 9 pounder on the end of your line as long as it doesn't turn out to be a farm animal, code words for Sheepshead. I hate them critters that impersonate a Pic. 

48 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

If you ever get this way Capt. I will gladly have you out as my 1st mate. I have to warn you long lining is the most boring fishing I have ever done. It makes up for it when you have a 9 pounder on the end of your line as long as it doesn't turn out to be a farm animal, code words for Sheepshead. I hate them critters that impersonate a Pic. 

Thanks. I might take you up on that.   When they’re on I hear it’s pretty easy to fill a cooler. 

Thanks. I might take you up on that.   When they’re on I hear it’s pretty easy to fill a cooler. 

You are welcome anytime. When they are on 3 fish will fill a big cooler!!!!!! We have had 6 fish coming in at 40 lbs. Actually sizes were down last year but everyone was limiting out. 1st time I have ever heard in the over 35 years fishing for them on Erie fishermen were culling limits. 

On 2/26/2020 at 8:02 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

I've seen the commercial boats come in at Port Dover just packed full of big Pickerel and Perch. Sad in many ways but those guys need to make a living too, I get that. No commercial fishing on the US side of Erie for many years now. I don't know about the other Great Lakes we share a border with. 

How many auto workers, steel workers, and others in the manufacturing industry had to find other lines of work? It's sad that basically a few can spoil the fishing for many? I can still recall the battles here over buying out the commercial walleye netters, and their arguments that they weren't taking enough fish to hurt the population, but once they were gone from our waters here the walleye fishing on Erie returned. Sure there are other factor, weather, the spawn, but the biggest problem seemed to be the netters?

5 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

How many auto workers, steel workers, and others in the manufacturing industry had to find other lines of work? It's sad that basically a few can spoil the fishing for many? I can still recall the battles here over buying out the commercial walleye netters, and their arguments that they weren't taking enough fish to hurt the population, but once they were gone from our waters here the walleye fishing on Erie returned. Sure there are other factor, weather, the spawn, but the biggest problem seemed to be the netters?

I don't disagree Paul, this has been a  discussion that has taken place over a beer at the local watering holes for decades. I don't know the answer, if I did I would be in Parliament or Queens Park. The commercial guys argument is they do not harm the sport fishery and they bring in millions in revenue into our country from  overseas sales. Japan being their prime market. 

On 2/28/2020 at 6:53 AM, Yellow Fever said:

Erie has numbers but Quinte has bigger fish, and i fish both places. 

I agree BOQ has bigger as in fatter fish, through the ice. We fished Big Island for years evert spring and the sizes averaged 2.5 pounds. Any day on Erie the  average size is 5 lbs. Probably more. This past year however sizes were down but the # of fish caught everyday even by newbies were ridiculous. 

17 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

We fished Big Island for years evert spring 

That brings back a flood of memories John, every May 24 long weekend for most of my life Quinte was our annual springtime family fishing trip around Hay Bay. My dad, myself & my brother along with uncles, cousins, grandfather and friends.

Kept it up for years but one by one they all started dying off until it was just my brother and I left and then he passed in 2007 and now I'm the only one left and that was it for the fishing trip....done.

Still got a lifetime of great memories left though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I agree BOQ has bigger as in fatter fish, through the ice. We fished Big Island for years evert spring and the sizes averaged 2.5 pounds. Any day on Erie the  average size is 5 lbs. Probably more. This past year however sizes were down but the # of fish caught everyday even by newbies were ridiculous. 

As the season progresses and gets nearer to the spawn those fish fatten up and eggs fully develop.

They  forgot to mention Simcoe. Saw lots of 20 lb fish when you could fish Talbot river by Gamebridge 30yrs ago.

My  largest thru ice was there. Wisely they put season back a couple weeks, Fished Quinte as well. Simcoe fish were bigger thru ice way back when you could fish late March.

I wasn't really taking the hard water fishery in to consideration, Quinte fall fish probably have the largest average. We never really get small fish. I have a buddy that wants me to go down and fish the Fall Brawl but in one day last fall i had 3 fish that would have topped the top 6 in the Brawl. Nobody even turns a head at a 10lb walleye