Myrtle Beach Feb.22 2020

Big Cliff

Well, the weather cooled off and so did the fishing -3 here this morning but the sun is shining and it will get back up to about 12 by about noon. The fishing has been really slow for about a week now and between the cold and the rain I really haven't been putting much effort into it. I have been spending time going for clams and oysters which don't care if it's cold or not.

It's a learning process LOL. Understanding the tides and how the wind can affect them for starters. Yesterday the tide was supposed to be quite low but the wind was really blowing out of the NE, the water level in the flats where I have been going stayed at least a foot higher than it should have for the tide level that was predicted. Higher water levels reduce the areas where you can dig so it makes it a lot harder to get them.

I didn't find out until just the other day that if you find one, dig deeper in the same spot, if you find one there are usually more, up until now if I found one I figured that was it and moved on looking for more, yesterday I took six out of a hole about 1' square. It's not unusual to find them buried up to 11" deep in the mud although most of the ones I have been finding are under 3-4 inches deep.

The clusters seem to all be about the same size clams, it's unusual to find large ones and small ones in the same spot. Most of the ones I try to find are between 1 1/8 to 1 1/2" thick through the hinge anything bigger than that I have been using for chowder which isn't but t a bad thing. Steamed in a little butter, garlic, parsley, and white wine is still my favorite.

• Like 1

We always did our clams on a fire on the beach. Nothing added to the pot but clams and a tight lid. When the clams open, it adds just enough salt water to the pot to steam them. We'd let it boil over, remove the lid to simmer it down, then put the lid back on. Do that 3 times and they are done. Add nothing, eat them just like that. Sooooo good!  We do mussels the same way. 

S. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sinker said:

We always did our clams on a fire on the beach. Nothing added to the pot but clams and a tight lid. When the clams open, it adds just enough salt water to the pot to steam them. We'd let it boil over, remove the lid to simmer it down, then put the lid back on. Do that 3 times and they are done. Add nothing, eat them just like that. Sooooo good!  We do mussels the same way. 

S. 

Got to try that, does cooking them that long not make them tough?

Edited by Big Cliff
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Cliff, the Mrs and myself are renting next door at Kingston Plantation Feb-Mar. Great fishing - clamming posts. Good to have some insight into what's going on fish wise at the Apache pier. Agree, the weather hasn't been great to date. There's a 37 acre pond here that apparently has stocked largemouth, might give that a shot if it ever warms up. Hopefully the weather cooperates next few weeks for your pier fishing. Might see you out there one day.. if it ever stops raining. 

Hey, good to hear from you. The whitings are just starting to hit again in the last few days. I am usually out on the pier every morning at 7 am if it's not raining too hard or blowing like stink.  Have you fished here before?

I have a blue cooler, white top,  with 2 black wheels that I roll out there with me. I am going for clams and oysters this weekend if you are interested let me know. 

Rain will be over around 4 this afternoon, my current house guest is flying home tomorrow afternoon so let's try to hook up for a coffee. 

Looks like we're getting a break in the weather soon. I've never fished or clammed in S.C. Clamming on the week end would have been fun, but I didn't bring along anything resembling boots. Monday morning forecast looks good for pier fishing. I'll wander over Monday around 9 in the morning, about a 3 minute walk. Bringing 2 bux for pier walk-on as per sign. I'll be the guy carrying 2 aluminum coffee mugs, what do you take in yours?

1 hour ago, fisherguy said:

Looks like we're getting a break in the weather soon. I've never fished or clammed in S.C. Clamming on the week end would have been fun, but I didn't bring along anything resembling boots. Monday morning forecast looks good for pier fishing. I'll wander over Monday around 9 in the morning, about a 3 minute walk. Bringing 2 bux for pier walk-on as per sign. I'll be the guy carrying 2 aluminum coffee mugs, what do you take in yours?

No coffee thanks, washrooms aren't open on the pier yet and they don't appreciate us letting it all hang out lol. If you want to get together tomorrow evening for a coffee I can loan you a pier pass, I have some extras that I won't need. I should be home by 3 after I drop my friend at the airport. I am at 243 F Trail. One road back from the beach just about in line with the pier. 

Cliff 

1 hour ago, Big Cliff said:

Well that's the plan, if you want to meet me at the pier office at 7am I can loan you a pier pass. 

I'll see you guys at the pier tomorrow morning for a chat. 

Thanks for the generous pass offer. I won't interrupt your prime fishing time,, this time :))  A couple of bux for walk on is no problem. If it's a blowout see you at the Trail.

Edited by fisherguy
'sp' error

Good meet and greet this morning Cliff, that's a great community of anglers you have there. Thanks for letting me in for a couple of hours.

And the fishing ... well, a bit slow this morning. Bonus to the day, Pelicans patrolling and Dolphins breaching a few hundred meters off the pier.

Edited by fisherguy
'meet'