I am thinking of buying an Argo

Big Cliff

Our primary use would be two guys accessing small back woods lakes to go fishing and fishing from it. We could encounter all sorts of stuff; muskeg, weeds, ice on the lake deep snow, just about anything you can imagine and stuff I wouldn't even try to take my ATV through.

My son has been wanting one for years now but I've had some concerns: Can you drive it where you would normally drive an ATV, i.e down the shoulder of the road (where ATVs are permitted). Just how good/or bad would it be to fish from once you reach the lake. I realize that it would be a lot slower going down the road than my ATV would be but how is the ride? If you owned one, did you get as much use out of it as you thought you would before you bought it?

If any of you have owned/used one I would really appreciate any and all feed back, 6 wheel, 8 wheel, tracks or not.....

I have been reading everything I can find on them, some reviews are great, some not so (I wonder if some of the really good ones are biased). One thing I do know is that any reviews I get from you guys are going to be honest! It seems that there were a lot of improvements made in the 2019 models, they all sound to be really progressive, improvements to the steering, instrument panel.

Any questions I should be asking? This would be a big investment for me so any help would be much appreciated!

Edited by Big Cliff

I've only ever been a passenger in one, on the ice, in winter. It was decent, but slow. The ride was brutal. Everything got banged around, including passengers.  Other than that, they go anywhere you point them. I know a few guys who use them for moose hunting, with tracks, and there's almost no stopping them. 

S. 

Thanks Shane, I was kind of wondering about that, my back is bad already, getting pounded around for an hour or so wouldn't be much fun! My ATV has independent suspension and adjustable shocks so it's a pretty smooth ride. Mind you sitting on the seat in some of those little boats we use for a couple of hours is pretty hard on the back anyway 😊

Same scenario,  I’ve never owned one but a neighbour on the lake our family cottage is at owns one and has tracks for the winter. I’ve had a few rides across the lake in winter but never been on a trail with one.    It goes pretty good with tracks.  I can only imagine it would be a bit jarring over rough terrain.  I did know a guy who owned an older model although I never rode in his I do know he was always repairing something before moose season.  He was a pretty handy guy so it wasn’t an issue for him.  I sure wouldn’t mind a tracked argo for the winter but they are fairly cumbersome units.

Edited by porkpie

Well, the Good, the Bad and Ugly.  I had a 6x6 Bigfoot, complete with windshield, wipers, canvas top, outboard bracket and tracks and winch.  The Ugly, Got it second hand with low hours and it needed a bit of TLC, mostly wiping out the inside from having been put away wet, the carb needed a rebuild, dirty gas and gum.  Briggs & Stratton engine was a bit of a birch at times,  the throttle mechanism didn't have an accelerator pump so you couldn't give it full gas and go, it would stutter a bit and then go.  Once I figured that out, it was ok.  It also needed 3 new axle bearings,  easy enough to remove and replace,  they are a common size.  The Bad, well they can be a bit of a rough ride, you have to learn not to go over the rough ground at warp speed.  Add a gel cushion and it's remarkably better.  On flat ground they are fine.  The Good,  darn things near unstoppable unless you really want to bury it somewhere with a dead body in it, lol.  With the standard width track I never got stuck either, it would pretty well float on the snow.  For glare ice, there is a cleat kit for the tracks, gives more steering response.   The newer ones have a lot of upgrades in steering, brakes, alternator output, etc.  Why did I get rid of mine?  They are not allowed on club ATV trails, they don't fall under the 4/6 wheel ATV bracket that the clubs pay landowner insurance for.  Mine was plated/insured, etc and never had a problem driving down the side of the road to get onto Simcoe, local PD guys looked smiled and said carry on.   If you go with tracks, remember it will effect trailer width,  if you have an enclosed trailer,  figure out how you're going to get out unless you want to climb over stuff.

2009_0314_115008AA.JPG

Edited by Fisherman
  • Like 1

I did work for Argo and spent time in the factory talking to the manufacturer about them. Short story, they are good at a lot of conditions but not great at any. They float, but are a poor substitute for an old 12’ aluminum boat. Same for land...four wheelers of side by sides are far superior...even with a trailer behind. 
Think about what you need it to do. If you need one vehicle for multiple tasks, an Argo is an excellent option. 

Thanks guys, this is all helping! The biggest problem for me is that at 74 I am  finding it hard to do things like wrestling even the little 30 lb Honda onto the back of a little tinny back in the bush. Loading and unloading all the gear into and out of the boat and stuff like that. I don't have the agility and balance I had even a few years ago lol. 

10 or 15 years ago roof racks or trailers would have been no problem, heck two years ago I could even manage to lug the 15 hp and put it on the boat but I am afraid those days are just memories. Getting old isn't for sissys lol 

I would love to test drive one for a weekend under the same conditions that I would be using it anyone got one they would rent me for a weekend?

I know nothing about Argo's except they haven't made the playoffs for a few years. The question I have is that you mentioned being able to drive a ATV on the shoulder of the road. I know it's illegal here in Haldimand county. How do I know? My next door neighbour got a ticket for it. The OPP were out in force in cottage country here on Erie and they had a zero tolerance day. They were ticketing golf carts as well. No plate, no drive. Some weekends out here there are more golf carts and ATV's on the road than cars. 

• Haha 1

On 2/23/2020 at 9:26 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

Yes. You'd be amazed what dealers will do to get a sale. 

Way back in 2011 when I pulled the trigger for my 1st brand new vehicle I've ever  bought for myself in the 40 years (I lie, my wonderful wife bought it for me) I have been buying cars, bikes and trucks the sales manager let us take a demonstrator over night to test drive, not the 1st time that has been done by me. The biggest financial investment a working person will make is buying a home. I've always said we get to test drive a vehicle but after a 30 minute walk around we have to decide to make the biggest purchase in our lives. I suggested to an agent years ago that a perspective buyer should be able to spend a night in the home, they have started to do just that for real estate, about time. I don't know how it works but it's being done and I would be open to it as we have our joint on the market. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

50 minutes ago, Out4Trout said:

If I am not mistaken, our buddy Doug (member AkaShag) owns one... he may be able to help you on pros / cons / general experience

https://ontariofishingcommunity.com/profile/23744-akashag/

Hahahaha, I remember the one Doug owned about 20 years ago, man did he have a bunch of headaches with that one.  Much older version that had roll pins in the axles, one snaps and slowly all the others go and then the tires won't turn.  spent many an hour fixing that thing,  new ones are far more reliable with splined axles.  Had a mechanical fuel pump that was shot too.

Edited by Fisherman

2 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Hahahaha, I remember the one Doug owned about 20 years ago, man did he have a bunch of headaches with that one.  Much older version that had roll pins in the axles, one snaps and slowly all the others go and then the tires won't turn.  spent many an hour fixing that thing,  new ones are far more reliable with splined axles.  Had a mechanical fuel pump that was shot too.

Sounds like fun...I think he has a newer Argo now... OP can reach out to him directly.

Edited by Out4Trout

Fisherman sent me an e-mail asking, somewhat incredulously, if I bought another Argo.  Guilty as charged.  Then I went looking for this thread.  (You could have sent me a link, buddy............)

I did own one many moons ago, an 8 wheeler with the so-called Super Tracks (extra wide).  It cost me several hundred dollars for every kilometer I ever drove it.  But I am not in any way mechanically inclined so could not do any of the work it needed.

I did fish out of it a number of times.  It is very bow-heavy and if you have two men in the front seat you don't have much freeboard.  Unless you put a kicker motor on it, your propulsion is just the tires, so excruciatingly slow.  I did have a motor bracket, AND a bilge pump!

With the tracks yes you can go just about anywhere, but once you are stuck, you are well and truly bogged.  I got bogged in slush about half-way up the hull one time, and that was a very exciting adventure indeed.  The young lad (Drew) that runs a tackle shop in Owen Sound still has nightmares about it...😉

There is no suspension, just the tires, so it is not a smooth ride over bumps and obstacles.  This is the case both with and without the tracks mounted.

BUT!!!!!  they FLOAT, so if a person is ice fishing and goes through the ice, you are not going to drown.  You may die of hypothermia, but the bodies will be easy to find.

The new models are a huge improvement over the old ones, much less inclined to break down.  You can mount a winch both on the front and on the back for gnarly spots, but of course there has to be something solid to hook up the winch cable.

I decided to buy this new one because of the safety factor for ice fishing, and because it is VERY handy around my hunting property.  I can generally drive right up to a dead deer and just lift it into the back end.

Cliff, I don't really believe this is the rig for you, but by all means if you want to drive one, come on down to Kingston and be my guest.

Doug