Good CHEAP USED 4 x 4 SUVs or pick ups?

If you plan on taking a cheap old vehicle in the bush, be ready to break down. You will need tools in your vehicle and battery pack/compressor and so on.  I have a rubicon,  shes a pig on fuel but it goes anywhere I need it to that it will fit. Bought the wife a subaru for 20k with almost no kms on it. Very close to my jeep with diff lock.   If you look up some reviews, a lot of the older subies can go 400-800k  kms if not more. I would look into both of those options. 

3 hours ago, canoecarrier said:

If you plan on taking a cheap old vehicle in the bush, be ready to break down. You will need tools in your vehicle and battery pack/compressor and so on.  I have a rubicon,  shes a pig on fuel but it goes anywhere I need it to that it will fit. Bought the wife a subaru for 20k with almost no kms on it. Very close to my jeep with diff lock.   If you look up some reviews, a lot of the older subies can go 400-800k  kms if not more. I would look into both of those options. 

Thanks, will do. 

Fyi, I’m not looking to do any real off-roading per se. no rock crawling or muddling. I cannot risk scratching up or dinging a work vehicle going off the highway (back roads, dirt paths, logging roads) or go far out of range ( range being the distance I can take the company vehicle for personal use ).

A serious 4x4 would be nice but a lighter AWD would do in case it’s a bit muddy, or a bit rougher than where you would take a RWD. I definitely don’t want FWD for boat launching. 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I know it’s a bit of an older thread but I’ve been back browsing the Jiji to see what cheap 4x4 beaters there are out there and I was shocked to see the prices on the old ‘80’s Jeep Wagoneers!!

butt ugly with wallpaper wood grain everywhere and prices on the moon! I am shocked. Had I known what the prices would do, I would have started grabbing them up 10 years ago and storing them. Wow. 

I never would have considered that utes and 4x4’s would appreciate in value like this.

I really like the old land cruisers and 4runners of the 80’s/90’s too. Are all the old 4x4 vehicles of the era in some sort of cult status or just starting to elevate to classic vehicle pricing?

And the rust belt must have devoured the rest...broncos, bronco ll’s, lil and big blazers...all long gone. 

So, what’s the next collectible 4x4?  

I might look to spend a little more for a good rust free driver or resto worthy SUV for boat towing and camping (no winters)