Good CHEAP USED 4 x 4 SUVs or pick ups?

Hey everyone,  looking for people‘s thoughts on some cheap but reliable beater 4x4’s.

I’m fortunate enough to have a company vehicle which is plenty capable of towing my boat or small camper, however I’m limited to distances and places I’d really like to go. 

My wife does not want a truck or SUV so  I’m looking for a spare vehicle that won’t let me down with spinning wheels at a boat launch or some back country camping  where I don’t have to worry about getting a dirty or breaking something or scratching the paint.

I’m not looking to do rock crawling or any extreme off-road activities. It doesn’t have to be pretty or fast or have all the latest creature comforts. But I would like it to be powerful enough to tow up to 2500-3500 pounds. 

I’m not opposed to doing a restoration on models with reliable mechanicals. 

I live in southern Ontario and used pick up truck prices are on the moon even for complete and total trash cans. So now I’m thinking small SUV  or even something utilitarian. 

Any ideas?

I’ve been wondering about the older V6 RAV4 4x4 early 2000’s to 2010sh

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

i'D Get a Toyota Sienna van. I have a real wheel drive but there are all-wheel drive ones out there. I use ramps late season duck hunting and simply carry a bag of sand or cat litter. Also bought some Princess Auto traction mats 'just in case' but haven't used yet. You wife will enjoy the van as most do and it'll carry anything easily and trailer hitches are also on many so you needn't get one. Prices are all over the map as are years and mileage.

Better to take advantage of this than fall for the red-neck trap of 'pickup or SUV' which is why prices are so high.

A pal has a 2014 Ram HEMI PU with 113,000km for about $19,000 as is but getting emissions on these may be hard so ? re getting it on the road legally. If interested in it message me.  

2 hours ago, cisco said:

i'D Get a Toyota Sienna van. I have a real wheel drive but there are all-wheel drive ones out there. I use ramps late season duck hunting and simply carry a bag of sand or cat litter. Also bought some Princess Auto traction mats 'just in case' but haven't used yet. You wife will enjoy the van as most do and it'll carry anything easily and trailer hitches are also on many so you needn't get one. Prices are all over the map as are years and mileage.

Better to take advantage of this than fall for the red-neck trap of 'pickup or SUV' which is why prices are so high.

A pal has a 2014 Ram HEMI PU with 113,000km for about $19,000 as is but getting emissions on these may be hard so ? re getting it on the road legally. If interested in it message me.  

Thanks, We had s grand caravan for years and loved it. I don’t like the idea of a FWd at the boat launch though. Not on wet or late fall icy. I didn’t know about AWD Siennas. Good to know. 

I’d like to be well under $10 k if possible as I’ll use it only a few times a month and a few weeks and a handful of weekends a year in the summer/fall. 

I know what you’re saying. Yes around 5K.  I can’t justify any more when I have an all expenses paid daily driver and my wife has the family car. It’s nothing more than an occasional camping- fishing trip vehicle. I’m getting closer to retirement so the last thing I want is new car payments. Looking for something I can pay out-of-pocket for. 

I think the days were the full-size blazers and Broncos and  jeeps were rugged,  cheap and easy to repair driven forever even with the body falling off it like The Toyota forerunner‘s,  land cruisers etc. Are gone. Old as dirt with 300 to 400 K and still running strong. 

The last few decades have been nothing but pop can throwaways. Scrapyards  crush anything older than 10 years old now,  so the prospect of finding parts for fixer-upper’s  or restorations are looking feeble. I think I’m answering my own questions here...

Looking for the needle in the haystack

Yep throw away pop cans, a great analogy. Ask any car dealer what they will give you for a vehicle 5 years or older and they will laugh. For the big dealers they won't even accept a car that old as a trade in. Check Haldimand Motors as is vehicles on their website in Cayuga. I take a ride around the huge lot regularly to see what ridiculous prices used cars and especially trucks go for and they have many as is vehicles there, sometimes not many on the lot. A pal bought a beautiful BMW there for as is for 1/2 what they go for and it worked out great for him Anything as is is a crap shoot. I was actually sad when GM took my 89' GMC Sierra short box 4X4 as a trade in on my then brand new 2011 Silverado. An offer I couldn't refuse, $3500.00 as a previous GM owner thing. I only used it to trailer the boat and haul building materials a few times and towing Ford F-150's and Dodge Ram 4X4's out of the snow. It actually towed an old Ford 8-N out of a snow drift once. The bed had more holes than a fishing net but I couldn't kill the 350 and tranny. Only 1 door worked and couldn't roll down the windows depending on what day it was. Some kid threw dual exhaust on it sometime and the sound of a real deal V8 sounded like a truck is supposed to sound like, not like a Prius. If I did drive it somewhere it actually fit in the parking spaces. Of course it didn't get a scratch on it when I had it, I don't think I could tell anyway. Never washed it in the 4 years I had it and I changed the oil when I remembered to. Never put a penny in it over 3 years other than gas. That would be perfect for you. 

Cisco, the only way my wife would be caught dead in a mini van is when they take her from the morgue to the funeral home. She's a gear head, gotta love a woman gear head. Not all wives are the same. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Yep throw away pop cans, a great analogy. Ask any car dealer what they will give you for a vehicle 5 years or older and they will laugh. For the big dealers they won't even accept a car that old as a trade in. Check Haldimand Motors as is vehicles on their website in Cayuga. I take a ride around the huge lot regularly to see what ridiculous prices used cars and especially trucks go for and they have many as is vehicles there, sometimes not many on the lot. A pal bought a beautiful BMW there for as is for 1/2 what they go for and it worked out great for him Anything as is is a crap shoot. I was actually sad when GM took my 89' GMC Sierra short box 4X4 as a trade in on my then brand new 2011 Silverado. An offer I couldn't refuse, $3500.00 as a previous GM owner thing. I only used it to trailer the boat and haul building materials a few times and towing Ford F-150's and Dodge Ram 4X4's out of the snow. It actually towed an old Ford 8-N out of a snow drift once. The bed had more holes than a fishing net but I couldn't kill the 350 and tranny. Only 1 door worked and couldn't roll down the windows depending on what day it was. Some kid threw dual exhaust on it sometime and the sound of a real deal V8 sounded like a truck is supposed to sound like, not like a Prius. If I did drive it somewhere it actually fit in the parking spaces. Of course it didn't get a scratch on it when I had it, I don't think I could tell anyway. Never washed it in the 4 years I had it and I changed the oil when I remembered to. Never put a penny in it over 3 years other than gas. That would be perfect for you. 

Cisco, the only way my wife would be caught dead in a mini van is when they take her from the morgue to the funeral home. She's a gear head, gotta love a woman gear head. Not all wives are the same. 

I had an 87 short box Chevy  Silverado. I wish I never sold it.

i’d love to find a classic  87 to 91 suburban 4 x 4. Because I won’t be using it much the fuel mileage doesn’t matter to me a whole lot. But they've become quite pricey too  if I could find one that hasn’t been turned into a mud truck.  And that is pretty old. 

I found some  clean late 90s and early 2000s 4Runners that aren’t priced too badly.

But for every dollar I spend on a tow vehicle, I’m cutting into my savings for a four stroke or Etec.

I promise to drive by Haldimand Motors as is lot for you. If they have something you may be interested in I will let you know. There are always vehicles we wish we never sold, I have many. I did get a price to do up my Sierra. The only thing that was saveable was 1 fender, the hood and chassis, which needed some patches and welding, the  drivetrain and 350, the rest was scrap. They wanted $10,000.00 to bring it to near new not including interior. Interior wouldn't be much as there is hardly any interior to it. Even if I had to drop a small block Chevy crate engine in it I would have had a head turner. There are a few redone 80's and early 90's era short box step side trucks around and they turn heads. Plenty of new 1/2 ton 4X4's around these parts that go for up to 80 grand and they don't turn heads. 

9 hours ago, lew said:

But they sure are nice to drive !!

Sure would be but like when my truck was brand new I was afraid to scratch the inside of the box with a 2X4. For 80K you can get a lot of car and a beater pick up. 

There are a few vehicles as is at Haldimand Motors that just might fit your bill and budget. 

https://www.haldimandmotors.com/list.html?kw= asis

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Had some time so I search Kijiji and below is a Jeep Turbo diesel for sale like Albert suggested for under 9 grand. 300 Kms but that isn't much for a diesel I think. I've always liked the design of the Cherokees and was in the market for one when I was doing a ton of driving, some weeks well over 1000 kms. That was until I saw the fuel mileage they get, not great at all. Maybe diesel is better. I am looking at selling the Silverado after we move, my reno days are over. I would consider this Jeep just to tow the boat to and from the water and use if snow was an issue and getting out was a must. 

https://www.kijijiautos.ca/vip/13576668/

I  just looked at the pics of this Jeep. Man it's loaded with leather and wood interior and a huge dash screen. Maybe I should look at it for myself. I could sell mine and buy that and put a chunk of change in the bank after I bought some toys like a big new GPS/Combo for the boat and new 100 lb thrust electric. It has me thinking. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

Man that is a super nice Grand Cherokee. I’ve always loved them. I test drove a few when looking for the car the wife is in, but she didn’t want a truck or SUV. Since I have a company vehicle, I let her have her pick. I only drive it when we’re out together. Happy wife, happy life they say. 

But back to the GC you guys suggested. I didn’t know they even had a diesel option. And that’s not high k for the motor, but I’d be worried about the wear and tear on the rest of the driveline. 

And the Envoy listed above is a beaut also, but 350-ish k on all original driveline, well maintained or not is still a lot of k and road salt exposure. The price isn’t unreasonable but it’s a big gamble and not something I’d be overly comfy towing with for long distances or extended trips. (4 hour to Day long towing trips)

I think if I’m really patient, I can pick something up with 150-200k on it. I may have to pay more, I know. 

You aren't going to get a low mileage vehicle that is over 10 years old in your budget. You should repost this when you are ready to pull the trigger. Good used vehicles don't last long before someone buys it. Spring is around the corner.  

I don't mind car  and boat shopping especially with someone elses money. Now my screen is covered in Jeeps for sale. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

You aren't going to get a low mileage vehicle that is over 10 years old in your budget. You should repost this when you are ready to pull the trigger. Good used vehicles don't last long before someone buys it. Spring is around the corner.  

I don't mind car  and boat shopping especially with someone elses money. Now my screen is covered in Jeeps for sale. 

Thanks for your help. I too love “the search”. I agree that they don’t last long but I’m certain I’ll find something under 200k. I’m finding Toyota FJ’s and 4runners in or close to the top end of my budget. 

When I’m ready to drop the hammer, there will be something. 

You will find something. I have never owned a Toyota which is probably the only brand I haven't owned at one time or another. I do know they are solid as a rock. When ever you see a video of people in 3rd world countries driving they are in and or on a Toyota with a 30 caliber mounted on it. Both the good guys and the bad guys. 

• Like 1

It wouldn't take a lot of bartering from a board member to get me to drop another $500.00 for this vehicle. I'm a mechanic and run my own shop, my wife is a service adviser at a GM dealership. This truck got looked after; happy wife happy life; even for the guys/mechanics that she works with. It doesn't burn a drop of oil between oil changes and as far as I know everything works as intended. Not sure where you're from (I'm in London) come and get the Envoy and drive it for a week; if you don't want it bring it back and no hard feelings.

Dan.

• Like 1

I’ll say! Thanks @DanD, that is a mighty decent offer. I’m going to think about it and how I feel about the mileage. It is a really sharp rig, just the right size and loaded with goodies.

I was perusing the AB and SK ‘Jij and there’s TONS of SUV’s and trucks in the 400-500 k range. Nearly every 4Runner under 10grand I found was 350+K so I’m going to consider it. 

If I have any questions i’ll PM you. 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

On 2/24/2020 at 3:47 PM, DanD said:

It wouldn't take a lot of bartering from a board member to get me to drop another $500.00 for this vehicle. I'm a mechanic and run my own shop, my wife is a service adviser at a GM dealership. This truck got looked after; happy wife happy life; even for the guys/mechanics that she works with. It doesn't burn a drop of oil between oil changes and as far as I know everything works as intended. Not sure where you're from (I'm in London) come and get the Envoy and drive it for a week; if you don't want it bring it back and no hard feelings.

Dan.

What truck Dan? I don't see it here. A friend is looking for a good used 4X4 or AWD. 1 3/4's drive to London. I love brokering deals, actually used to get paid for it. Now I work for lunches at A&W. 

Found it in classifieds, who would ever think to look there? I'll pass the link on Dan. I always say "Never buy a used car a mechanic drove but definitely buy from one from his wife." You know what I mean. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker