Back to school

misfish

Got to spot and checked for no parking signs . Not a one to be seen, so unloaded and parked the truck up the road . I already had my mind set on where I wanted to park my ars on the cold surface,  A large flat once again that dropped sharp and flattened out at 45 fow.  It was not a far walk, so I was set up in 20 minutes . Still a 1/2 hour before sunrise, I was set up and the finder was full of bait fish and the odd large marks on the bottom . Grabbed the litttle box of flys and went, eni,myni mo, you will go on .  Tied a lean shrimp  fly drop on the meegs rod .

Fish came in for 2 hours . They came up to look at the fly, yet not a hit . They hung around on the meegs just enough to make me think they were interested then bugger off . Nothing was interested in the vibrado.  New area again, new fish,lets go back in the day. WTH can happen ? Catch a fish ? Not wanting to put the meegs away, I took the vibrado off the other rod and tied on old friend, the 1/2 and 1/2 hammered 3" williams. I fish it traditional, lay on the bottom and lift,lift,lift and pull, but I also will hang it 20 ft from the bottom and rip it . They will chase it. I start off by ripping it up and letting it flutter. There was a couple that would rise, but go back down . So, lets go traditional.

Drop it on the bottom, let it sit,lift lightly a few times then yank it up a foot or so. Sure as S, first yank, this fish comes up. The lure does not drop, but the fish is still on the finder . That aint right. The darn fish had it and was swimming with it. Set the hook and well, ole school prevailed. Get the fish to the right side of the ice .  Fished another hour without another fish to come in, so it was pack up time and head in. Home,clean and cook up with fish crisp to take into work for my co-workers to enjoy tomorrow. Oh I sampled few pieces. 

DSCF5209.JPG.e48971a445de88d5dd486663fb5326f1.JPG

DSCF5213.JPG.b67d2b83bbab0933f49604c8b1b29232.JPG

DSCF5219.JPG.0b2130e6fe820f173b34034cc67b2241.JPG

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, misfish said:

No not really, but have many old school memories of what worked. The only thing I didn't add was the , 6" drop pearl. Need to tie one of those up .

When you do take the middle hooks off saves a lot of tangles.. Those pearl set ups were amazing. Another one we used were the small round things that hung On a  chandelier they could really deflect light. 

Edited by ketchenany

Try making up some of these.

They are the go to lure/fly for whities up here.

They are good in open water too. They run them under a float on the rivers.

Just a hook, red bead and copper wire.

You want to tie it on the line with a tight knot and then rotate the knot so it sits horizontal with the hook point on top.

PB130053.jpg.19a2437ce01b8dba780ef976309887cb.jpg

On 2/17/2020 at 8:17 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

Try making up some of these.

They are the go to lure/fly for whities up here.

They are good in open water too. They run them under a float on the rivers.

Just a hook, red bead and copper wire.

You want to tie it on the line with a tight knot and then rotate the knot so it sits horizontal with the hook point on top.

PB130053.jpg.19a2437ce01b8dba780ef976309887cb.jpg

I did a quick one to just see. Yes, ugly . I will make the next ones much cleaner. I can see perch hook ups on these as well . Thanks Dave

Do wind the wire on the whole shank then glue the bead into position ? I just used some glue and thread wrapped around the bead . I am sure there is an easier way .

DSCF5225.thumb.JPG.bbfd17428dc274f816863632b121b8ad.JPG

Edited by misfish

18 hours ago, misfish said:

I did a quick one to just see. Yes, ugly . I will make the next ones much cleaner. I can see perch hook ups on these as well . Thanks Dave

Do wind the wire on the whole shank then glue the bead into position ? I just used some glue and thread wrapped around the bead . I am sure there is an easier way .

DSCF5225.thumb.JPG.bbfd17428dc274f816863632b121b8ad.JPG

The copper wire holds the bead in place. 

The beads on mine are 1.5-2.5 mm brass fly tying beads.

16 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

16 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

The copper wire holds the bead in place. 

The beads on mine are 1.5-2.5 mm brass fly tying beads.

I just used the small bead for my pickeral harness. I,ll grab some beads . The bead I used, slide over the wire. Thats why the thread wraps.

Thanks Dave

I didn't know I could use my bobbin holder to wrap the wire. Much neater. I,ll stop and get some of the proper beads tomorrow. If I get a whities on these,I will be stoked. Something that looks like nothing really. Or, does it look like something up your way Dave ? What does it represent ? Some type of aquatic bug ? What hook are you using ? Looks like a sanwhan (sp?) worm one ?

DSCF5227.JPG.c8c028ee6c04f2b058a2d683e078e13f.JPG

Edited by misfish

19 hours ago, misfish said:

I didn't know I could use my bobbin holder to wrap the wire. Much neater. I,ll stop and get some of the proper beads tomorrow. If I get a whities on these,I will be stoked. Something that looks like nothing really. Or, does it look like something up your way Dave ? What does it represent ? Some type of aquatic bug ? What hook are you using ? Looks like a sanwhan (sp?) worm one ?

DSCF5227.JPG.c8c028ee6c04f2b058a2d683e078e13f.JPG

Looks great Mr. B!!

• Thanks 1