A two toned deer in my yard

lew

The white deer and her fawn are in my yard several times a day now but today I saw a huge wound on the fawns side. Don't know if a coyote grabbed her or what but it's really nasty. It's wide open and at least as big as a man's hand but it's not bleeding and she walks just fine and doesn't seem to be in any pain or distress and is eating well.

Kinda hard to see in these pictures but it's on her left side directly in front of her back leg. I tried to enlarge it but don't know how to keep the bigger picture.

P1040680.JPG

P1040679.JPG

Edited by lew

I wish I had of brought my go pro or even my camera this morning Lew . I took a drive up to the parents this morning .  Mudder and pop have been feeding the turkeys and deer this winter as they have done since moving up there . When I rolled up over the hill, I almost took out a few on the road . Pulled in the drive, I was greeted by more turkeys . Almost ran 2 over. LOL 

The path walk down to the feeding area was iced over and pop didn't feel comfortable walking, so I did the chore and headed with a pail of feed for the deer . As I did, they just came out of no where . They knew it was not my pop  . They stayed back a bit, stomping their hooves in the snow telling me I was not their friend . I made my way down to the feed area slowly just watching for more to come out . I reached the area for dropping the feed and just stood there . There was a young one that really didn't know what the difference was and came right out and down to the feeding area .  He/she knew I had some feed . Was so cool .When the young one came to close, the doe stomped and the young one retreated . I laid the feed down and just stood there .  The leader of the group just stood back and gave me the stare down ( Like she was looking down the sight, instead of me at her ) . I was not moving til I had one deer come to the feed . One did for a short taste, then once again, the stomp and retreat . I gave in,  I was not the feeder and was not welcome . I walked back up the path  and they walked their way to the feed .

The lead doe never took her eyes off of me . Yes, she would dip her head for a quick nibble, but back up quick looking right at me . Before I was able to reach the top of the path, I hear my pop whistle . He told me he could walk out, not see them , give a whistle and see them come running down the hill side . Well,  while I was standing there , he whistled to ensure they were safe I guess . They, the deer , raised their heads and looked at him . What are you, the deer whisper ?

I was at awe and can say ( no I am not a P3TA guy ) this was one of those man/ nature things, that just gets ya thinking .I only thought for a moment, as the  thought of how I miss venison sausages .

It was a spectacular moment, I must say.

• Like 1