A two toned deer in my yard

lew

A week ago there was a deer in my yard that was half white & half brown but she disappeared before I could get my camera. Just an hour ago I looked out and she was here again but she started to head back into the woods but I was able to get this picture from the rear but you an see the two colors very clear.

Pretty kool looking critter and certainly nothing I've ever seen before.

Hopefully I can get a better shot if she returns.

Just ignore the big ole turkey trying to hog the picture LOL

P1040633.JPG

Edited by lew
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

Cool, unfortunately someone will think it would make a great trophy?

Yeah, sadly your right Paul, if it's unique someone will think it should be hanging on his wall.

Edited by lew
  • Like 1

Nice pic of a piebald deer. Be nice to see eye coloration re degree of albinoism. Not complete albino but extremely rare. Genetic weaknesses may take this doe earlier than normal plus the white will be easier to see from a predator or hunter vantage. May have similar young. 

Your area is shotgun/archery only I think with fairly abundant residences with less hunting going on so she may live long. Coyotes are getting thick so they probably pose biggest threat in your area Lew IMO.  

And here I thought we lived in a wildlife refuge. Nothing compared to your zoo big guy. I have seen hundreds of black and white Deer out here. They say Moooo rather than grunt. I am a bit of a citiot expert concerning aminals. I once bought a new pair of Cowboy boots to go to the Binbrook fair many years ago, I asked Ticha "What's that stuff hanging off that humongous Lambs arse." In between all the guffaw's of others she told me "That's not a Lamb stupid it's a sheep and those are his balls." Then of course I had to ask what the difference is it between a Lamb and a Sheep. Ya don't know till ya know. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lew said:

I've actually thought about a camera Brian, there's always some interesting critter wandering thru the yard.

The night time shots will surprise you I am sure . They are easy to use. Just remove the SD card and plug into a camera and on the computer.

Amazing, I have never heard of let alone seen what Cisco referred to as "Albinoism." Thank you for the amazing photos you get at your place. Did I say amazing?  An article explaining "Abinism" in White Tail Deer. Albino, all white is something like 1 in over 30,000 Deer. A "Piebald" Deer is partially white. One thing I love about OFC is I can learn more than 1 thing everyday. And it keeps my noggin from going to mush. Thanks again Lew. 

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/content/blogs/dan-schmidt-deer-blog-whitetail-wisdom/just-rare-albino-deer

Edited by Old Ironmaker

3 minutes ago, Rodbender said:

Nice Lew I'd like a better pic of the fawn looks like really dark possible Melnistic ?

If you look at the left side of the very 1st picture at the top of this page from last Saturday you can see the fawn much clearer, at least part of her, and you'll see she's not as dark as she appears in the other pictures.

There's quite a few fawns around here and she's about the same colour as the others and she's always with the Piebald Deer.

50 minutes ago, misfish said:

And whats with  that turkey ?

Hey,look at me . Hey,I am right here.

It's hard to keep track of those Gobblers some days, there's so many of the silly things LOL

P1040654.JPG

Edited by lew

Now I'll post this in the right thread. I sent the pics to my cousin in the States. His group has a hunt camp in Western NY and they take young folks from the inner cities of Niagara Falls and Buffalo NY there to teach them safe gun handling and ethical hunting with emphasis on proper environmental stewardship. He asked me to thank you for the fantastic pics of the Piebald Deer (the new word of the week, maybe month.) He has never seen 1 either after 50 years of hunting.  

That is so cool Lew! In the one shot, there was a squirrel at the Doe's feet and now all those turkey's! All these creatures hanging out together to get some feed.

We had an albino deer near our work quite  a few years ago in the Clairville Conservation area, but have not seen any for a few years now.