12 Coyote found dead NOTL/MNR investigating

Old Ironmaker

From MNR (Ministry of Natural Resources) Watch. Art, move to other discussion page if necessary. NOTL is Niagara on the Lake. Thanks. JD.

If always encourage outdoors persons to sign up. If any of you have not signed up for the MNR Watch newsletter I strongly suggest you do. They are not the MNR, they keep tabs on all MNR activities and send you an email. I am always interested in following the court trials of poachers and what penalties they are given once found guilty.  There a few great Judges and Justices of the Peace in central Ontario that have big books and throw them at guilty poachers as hard as some relief pitchers in the big leagues. They are female if that matters.. ….........Maybe a coincidence? 

https://mnrwatch.com/ministry-investigating-coyote-carcasses-dumped-along-niagara-parkway/

33 minutes ago, pics said:

Since they have an Open Season all year they were probably legally hunted but disposed of in an unethical manner..

Just wait until cormorant season opens and a bag limit of 50 and you can let them rot, the press will have fun when a couple of guys dump a hundred cormorants and someone finds them  🤯

54 minutes ago, pics said:

Since they have an Open Season all year they were probably legally hunted but disposed of in an unethical manner..

Pelts take time and effort to remove, flesh out, stretch and need stretching boards, etc.. many guys haven't been taught how to do this. plus fur prices for such late season pelts aren't as good as early season and from western provinces. Coyotes are getting too numerous and they reproduce quickly to compensate for removed members and food availability.  IMO the MNR can't be bothered to get down the hill to them nor to take apart stinking carcasses to find out what death they experienced. There is little point in trying to find out anything further. No limit or bounty or meat wasted re coyote harvest around southern Ontario.

All we shot got skinned but the carcasses were left in the bush around where we shot them. back to nature went the remains. 

Edited by cisco
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

I drove the Niagara Parkway from Fort Erie to the falls a few  times, no idea what is off the main road, but it didn't strike me as a hunting area.

If you get into the Green Belt along the Niagara escarpment or take the trail, of which the name escapes me, (late and 65 yrs old! Google time,) it goes from The Falls to Tobenmory ON. You would think you were hiking  in The Blue Mountains of Kentucky or Georgia or on that trail from Tennessee or Kentucky to Maine. Another name that I have buried somewhere in my thick scull. Appellation Trail, who rah!!! That jaunt on that Ontario trail you will see anything from Bald Eagles to Wolf and Black Bear. Not far from the millions of people that live mere miles from it.

It's not that we get forgetful as we age it's like any computer system, when the RAM is full you need to delete some to get more new stuff stored in it. Pretty simple really. 

• Like 1

Just back from Simcoe whitee huntin' and thought about another angle. If the hunters took the yotes to, say, a landfil,l they might be told 'no' and advised to go bury them or take them someplace else like a rendering plant. I'm not sure if a landfill would take them. Also it may cause some civil servant there to call the police or MNR re the carcasses thus causing allot of undue hassle to the hunters. IMO the MNR when commenting on this issue could and should have provided advise on how to properly dispose of such critters. This as a public service since no doubt the hunters in this case along with others would like to know proper protocol. MNR fell flat on this one. Recall years ago when a moose hunter found the entire animal was filled with cysts and MNR said it's OK to eat. SURE!!! Hunter told me "I took the whole works to the dump". But again, these days a call might go out getting a hunter in trouble for this same thing.

Not sure if 'carcasses' mean't skinned or unskinned. Article wasn't clear about that. Would probably take a bit of time to get that many. I can see a gang of hunters who specialize hunting them keeping them froze out back until time to thaw a bit to skin all at once then draw straws on who gets to discard the remains. Lazy guy drew the short straw.

Edited by cisco