Lake access in North Bay?

DanD

If things go as planned, a few of us (3-5 guys) are going to try Nipissing this weekend. I have booked a room for Saturday and Sunday nights in North bay. Can I use the government dock (Waterfront Marina) area to access the lake? If so what direction should I head out at; towards the Manitou Islands? What depth of water should I be looking for to drop our lines? I have never ice fished this area and going out blind. Last question for now; is there anyone going out from there that I could maybe tag along and follow out? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Just thought of this; where is a bait shop to get minnows close to the lake access?

Not looking for anyone’s “special” spot just general direction of where and what to do or not to do  

Dan.

Edited by DanD
More questions

Hi Dan if you want to leave from Callander Bay and you are bringing Sally there is a parking lot just north of the government dock that is much bigger for parking don’t know the name but it is right off of Main Street. There is a bait shop called Billy bops you will to google it not to far from the parking spot. I was there two weeks ago in 25 feet of water caught 6 small ones no keepers. Very light bight and don’t forget about the slot size

• Like 1

Lakeshore suites in town has kitchenettes and the first one you pass has (there are 2) a little cottage at the end in summer they have great parking for trucks and trailers and the place is always clean.  You can access the lake from the end of premier road, and if that is blocked off you can head north along memorial drive and there are a couple of beachfronts and at least one crappy boat launch that could likely be used if you want to fish the main lake. In Callandar there is as mentioned a boat launch on your right as you come into town and it has a big lot.  If you didn’t book with Lakeshore suites I recommend you take a look at them.  The prices are decent but their setup is quite ideal for fishermen.  We stay there when we’re only in town for a couple of days.  Good luck and I’d recommend bombing around in 22-25 fow on the main lake if you get a chance and are taking more than one machine.  North Bay outfitters by the McDonald’s in town has bait I believe but may not open that early.  Nice shop though and bigger selection than Billy Bobs.

Edited by porkpie

Holy crap Billy Bob's is still around; last time I was there has to be at least 30 years ago. The guy serving us could have been Kenny Roger's twin brother. LOL

porkpie. I will give Lakeshore a call and see if they have any rooms left.

Yes I'm also taking my quad; I think Sally is ready but you just never know. Especially on her maiden trip, out on the ice

Thanks both of you for your advise.

Dan.

Got a room at the Lakeshore; cheaper then where I booked. The kitchenette will work out great Thanks again for the lead porkpie.

Sunset Park will fit the ticket great; just down the street from the Lakeshore. Billy Bob's opens at 7am; which should be about the time, we'll be getting there.

Thanks guys!!!!

Dan.

As long as you’ve got a backup I wouldn’t by shy to hunt around the main lake between lakeshore and the channel into Callander as mentioned in 22-25 and If your not doing anything then bang up agains the islands near shore and see if their in tight should be about 14-15 fow this time of year.  I wouldn’t camp for long without some fish on the sonar though.   Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Best of luck to you. Haven't fished that area so I can't help you Dan; I just want to wish you guys the best of luck and tell ya I'm jealous. It's funny that when I 1st read your topic heading I thought you guys were going out in boats!!! We live on the shore of Erie and we have more ice in the freezer than I have seen on the lake this winter. I'm OK with that as long as we don't get another hurricane here this year. When the lake is frozen I know we won't lose anymore of the breakwall. Best of luck guys, stay safe and have fun, you deserve a break. 

John. 
Thanks

The help of the other members here has been great. 
Will try and get some pics and or a vids of this weekend and Sally’s triumphs and or down falls. 
Sally’s first date with a frozen lake; not sure how she’s going to react?

Dan. 

• 2 weeks later...

How was your Nippissing trip? We were up there Family day to the Thursday. Lots of jumbos and about 15 pickerel all in the slot. This year we also got four white fish. My personal best whitefish this year it weighed in at 8.5 lbs. The snow on Wednesday was a real treat to try and drive out on in the four by four truck. Hope you guys had as good a time as we did.

On 2/22/2020 at 5:39 AM, floater said:

How was your Nippissing trip? We were up there Family day to the Thursday. Lots of jumbos and about 15 pickerel all in the slot. This year we also got four white fish. My personal best whitefish this year it weighed in at 8.5 lbs. The snow on Wednesday was a real treat to try and drive out on in the four by four truck. Hope you guys had as good a time as we did.

15 walleye above 19”? Wow. Lucky if you see one not 15.

I’ve never fished the north Bay Area in nippissing. Always south shore.