Myrtle Beach Feb.6 2020

Big Cliff

Pier life is always interesting, dolphins swim by almost daily looking for their dinner, it's amazing how close they go into shore chasing the schools of bait fish. The pelicans drop by for a visit from time to time. I love watching them glide by just a foot above the tops of the waves, they seem to know exactly how to catch the updraft off the waves so they hardly have to flap their wings, they can glide for hundreds of feet without loosing altitude. One flew into my line yesterday, it was quite a surprise for both of us but he seemed to survive unscathed as did I when I ran for the rod thinking I had a huge bite LOL. Then there are the cormorants, pigeons, a variety of ducks, terns, and seagulls.

It's hard to believe the variety of different things you catch from the depths, so far the list includes but is not limited to: Conch, Blue Crab, Spider Crabs, Black drum, crokers, whitings, a clam, spots, a shark, stingray, slick, sugar perch...... I think that's the list so far (apart from the oysters and clams I've been getting about once a week). I tried cooking up the blue crab yesterday (thank you google) one more delight to add to the list, you don't get a lot of meat but it sure is worth the effort! I am told that once the water warms up the list will be significantly expanded and the larger fish will move back in.

Then we have the pier characters; My buddy Al, a retired NY state trouper and a very smart man, he taught me that if you want to communicate with the fish you have to "drop them a line". He also explained why in a flock of geese one side of the "V" is longer than the other; there's more birds in that side! 😲. I can't believe how wise he is. Rick; retired US army infantry comes for a walk on the pier every day; super friendly and boy can he sing, I went to church last week and he sang amazing grace accompanied by a guitar, I've never heard a nicer rendition! There's Tom, Bruce, Rick... pier fishing is as much a social event as it is a fishing trip.

Yesterday we went to the docks where the shrimp boats come in (Calabash), one of the boats had just unloaded and I managed to buy two pounds of huge fresh shrimp for $6.00 a pound, had it home and cooked within an hour OMG is it ever good! I'll be making another trip back there again, if you buy 10 lbs the price drops to $5.00 a Lb. and these guys are almost the size of small lobsters (ok I might be exaggerating a bit but they are the biggest shrimp I have ever seen😉)

The weather has been pretty good so far with temperatures slightly above normal for this time of the year for the most part, it looks like we have a bit of cooler air moving in for the weekend then it bounces back up into the high teens low twenties which should really help the fishing. The water temperature dropped to 50F and that really affected the whiting bite, it's slowly climbing again now and a couple of days of bright sun will have it back to where we want it (55F+). Fortunately all the big storms that have been hammering this area have gone around us, there is a big one going on right now but it has stayed North of Myrtle Beach.

We had company here for the last week, a friend of Lynn's flew down from Toronto to spend the week with us, it was pretty reasonable, return airfare from Toronto was only $350.00 CDN. It costs me about that to drive it by the time you factor in food, accommodation and fuel.

Anyway, that's my update for now, time to get ready to head to the pier.

Tight lines and stay safe!

Edited by Big Cliff
  • Like 5

Dem blue crabs are mighty tasty steamed up with lots of Old Bay. Catch about a bushel and invite all your pier friends..😃. Get another rod and tie a chicken neck on, if they are around you should do well. Old Bay works well with the shrimp too Cliff.

• Like 1

Pier life sounds like paradise, Cliff!  Thanks for sharing that.

It reminded me of the trips I used to make to Florida when my parents owned a home on the Gulf coast there.  I'd head to the pier at Nokomis Beach everyday and meet some real characters.  It was as enjoyable time as I remember, and it was great to take home whatever was biting that day for the fry pan.  Nothing beat it!!!

Anyhoo, thanks again!