Turning 50 trip

jnic

Hi all, looking for help. 6 guys turning 50 looking for a fishing trip mid July. Thinking cheaper flyin or drive too,  so far looking at Cochrane air, camp anjigami, twin lakes flyin or 7 lakes camp out of Nakina. We are from near Ottawa so Quebec could also be an option . Any drive to suggestions or flyin info greatly appreciated thanks

I'm a huge fan of Kipawa. Gorgeous lake and scenery. Paved road to the government dock in the village of Kipawa. Alwaki lodge is a 14 mile trip and Kipawa lodge is around 22 miles. Lakers, Walleye, Pike and now Smallmouth bass have been working their way South through the watershed. For more info check out the forums. http://kipawafishingforum.net/index.php

Cheers

I think the Nakina area is better than your other options but you've still got a pick a good lake within that area.

I wouldn't choose Anjigami.

Since you're around Ottawa, check out the Clova and Parent stuff. I had a good trip (and cheap too) with Caesars flying out of Clova.

Edited by chris.brock

Whats your budget for a fly-in? We went with Leuenbergers in nakina to percy lake. Awesome fishing. They have a great spot on an island thats super close to fishing. Was 1000$ taxes in. Didnt have to worry about over weight charges either. Would go back here. 
edit: i just checked, 1050 plus tax

Edited by acplumber

In Nakina I would recommend John and Gloria Ritchs camp on Ogoki Lake

http://www.ogokilakeoutfitters.com/ 

We also did two trips with White River Air  - Pickle Lake and Shekak Lake 

I posted about Pickle here

https://www.northernjacks.com/post/50-mission-cap-our-first-fly-in

I have never been with them but I know many speak highly of Air Dale which is based out of Wawa

Mike Borger has done a lot of trips with them - his latest report is here

https://www.canadafishingguide.net/little-miss-adventure-fall-walleye-fishing-in-ontarios-algoma-country/

Best of luck - sounds like a perfect way to turn 50 - funny enough our first fly in trip[ (Pickle) was timed with my 40th

Lol fish may stop biting at 50 but the rum still tastes great. Are the walleye generally bigger on average in Nakina then northeast, Cochrane Hearst. Been with both but if walleye a pound heavier on average is worth the extra 6 hours. And again thanks for all info. Still would consider a drive in one but would like an outpost. I know that’s asking a lot thanks jnic

Depends which body of water your on, some nakina lakes produce better numbers then size and some produce big fish. I find the lakes with major inflows have bigger eyes. The Albany river produces big walleye, it has a lot of camps to choose from. Theres no shortage of 24plus fish in percy or stone either. Hope Chris Brock chimes back in hes been to a ton of awesome spots from Cochrane to red lake 

15 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

The Albany River would be my choice. Anywhere up there in the Arctic watershed. I do have to advise you to bring a 40 gallon drum of Muskall. Bugs are atrocious anywhere up there in the summer. Fall would be my choice, never the summer. 

Only issue we had with bugs while floating down the Sutton for 12 days was further downstream in the evenings with the sanflies.  45mins of chaos and it was over.  No issues with much else.    I wouldn't make that trip in the fall, weather is way too unpredictable.   Same goes when we fished the Attawapiskat, bugs weren't bad at all, pretty certain we were up there in June.

4 hours ago, BillM said:

Only issue we had with bugs while floating down the Sutton for 12 days was further downstream in the evenings with the sanflies.  45mins of chaos and it was over.  No issues with much else.    I wouldn't make that trip in the fall, weather is way too unpredictable.   Same goes when we fished the Attawapiskat, bugs weren't bad at all, pretty certain we were up there in June.

Come to think about it we did that trip on the Albany at the end of May and a few days into June, Bug season. You could hear the Moose suffering the flies all day. 70's and bugs during the day and snow ball fights in the early morning. Nothing like a wake up call from a ball of snow in the yap at 5AM.

What was really neat was we took the heads off the bigger Northers, nailed the heads through the gills to a tree and stuck a few sticks in the jaw to keep them wide open. After a few days all that was left was bone white scull and those huge rows of teeth staring at you. Talk about what an Alien might look like. They make a great trophy mounted in your Man Cave. I still have a few from 40 years ago. I did the same to a massive Carp I caught here a few years back. 

Johnny D/Selkirk ON.