The Winter Blahs

gordy28

As I write this I realize compared to previous year winter of 2019/2020 has not been a beast

But personally winter is my least favorite season.  Most of the stuff I love to do like kayaking, hiking, camping, fishing and golfing are all a Sping to Fall deal (ice fishing excluded)

Over the years I have developed some of my own ways to cope but also interested in hearing others

We recently hit the RV show which was a fun way to spend an afternoon thinking of summer during the winter.  In a good year we try to head down south somewhere to get back to spending time outside in the sun and so forth.

Anyway latest post is up on this very topic 

https://www.northernjacks.com/post/a-summer-lovers-guide-for-beating-the-winter-blahs

Cheers

Andrew

The weather this year has really got me down. This in between state of no good ice, but also no open water is messing with me. If it’s gonna be winter at least let me go snowboarding and snowmobiling and ice fishing etc. there is nothing enjoyable about these 0 degree rain storms. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

The weather this year has really got me down. This in between state of no good ice, but also no open water is messing with me. If it’s gonna be winter at least let me go snowboarding and snowmobiling and ice fishing etc. there is nothing enjoyable about these 0 degree rain storms. 

So true that this winter hasn't been full anything.  Went tobogganing last week after that big snow and was like - this is fun but its the first time the snow has actually stayed long enough to do it this winter.  And then it was pretty much gone in 3 or 4 days

I would rather have -10C days with bluebird skies than +C dreary overcast days. The only thing that keeps me sane is planning trips south. We were in The D.R. for 10 days after New Years and are heading back at the end of Feb for 2 weeks, thank God. I wish my wife would retire soon and say good bye to  these winters. 

In Finland when they only get a bit of daylight, a few hours, they have tanning beds at the Hospitals and work places to spend some time in. They get through the winter by drinking copious amounts of semi frozen Vodka and hot tar (black tar from the ground not the trees) mixed into it. Certainly an acquired taste. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

So far this year I haven't even looked at my ice gear. It isn't looking too good for the rest of the season either.  We don't even have frost really because I was able to put up a temporary fence to keep the dogs out of the worst of the mud.. the rebar went right into the ground without any hammering..

21 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I remember when I lived in Brampton and Etobicoke. During the winter months I was able to fish the 4 sisters for browns. All winter long. Open water. Simcoe was a thought at times and did some perch fishing and the odd laker fish then through the ice. Had the best of both. Now up here it,s, sketchy ice to fish on,  rivers that are either blown,froze over or too cold to fish.  I agree. Be winter . Make up my mind.

This winter I have only gotten out ONE time so far on Sturgeon and it sucked.  This weekend my Mrs and my boy are going to visit my parents (at a lake) and I don't plan to bring my gear for that visit tomorrow due to ice safety and how far we would have to walk.  

So far this winter I have either won or purchased some new fishing toys but yet to use them *sigh* and I am thinking of already selling them UN-USED!  It sucks!  

81462644_10157521775916253_455671952518938624_o.jpg

83386780_798692013948533_4959399587094724608_n.jpg

83500708_2555412354782596_2616448446990647296_n.jpg

81728591_10157545746766253_497166314465394688_o.jpg

I haven't missed a week of fishing yet. You gotta get off your butt, and go. Sitting here complaining doesn't do anything to help. Put some gas in the truck, pack 'er up with your gear, and go for a tour. You won't know unless you go. I've seen so much false reporting online this year, its rediculous. One person says theres no ice, i drive, and find plenty. You won't know if you don't go. I can't really complain, i've been out lots so far, and have 2 major 5 day trips coming up that are going to be amazing!! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sinker said:

I haven't missed a week of fishing yet. You gotta get off your butt, and go. Sitting here complaining doesn't do anything to help. Put some gas in the truck, pack 'er up with your gear, and go for a tour. You won't know unless you go. I've seen so much false reporting online this year, its rediculous. One person says theres no ice, i drive, and find plenty. You won't know if you don't go. I can't really complain, i've been out lots so far, and have 2 major 5 day trips coming up that are going to be amazing!! 

Depends where you live.. I am minimum 2 hours from any ice and that's if I can get through Toronto without slowing down..

• Haha 1

Some pretty interesting suggestions and love the nature pictures

At this stage in my life its pretty tough to just head out due to my family responsibilities on most weekends 

But I do love a good adventure and it doesnt need to be fishing

Hit the Terra Gardens Winter Market in Milton (believe they have one in Hamilton as well) last weekend and had a good time.  Lots of local foods, crafts and such

Foundry Ice Cream which is in Hamilton was amazing

http://foundryicecream.com/

https://www.terragreenhouses.com/winter-market-2020-hub 

Medically...

Worked for years with this Doctor nut who was convinced Vitamin D supplements were the be-all-and-end-all to soooo many things.  I'd get tired of consulting with him on patients cause he'd want to prescribe it for just too many things.

Even 5 years ago I'd think phewy about it!  Until I began working in Nunavut and found that some other co-workers were taking it to help them through the 24 hours of darkness.

Every November/December for years, to some degree some things would start to bother... and sometimes some things could last the winter.  I'd self diagnose maybe a mild S.A.D. or just think I was down for this reason or that. But, in Nunavut 4 years ago I began taking Vitamin D daily through the dark months, 2000-3000 units each morning, and I honestly do believe it helps.  First and foremost with mood, second to that cognition and energy too. 

In the summer nobody soaks in D from the sun better than pale faced gingers.  That's good for feeling vital, (bad down the road for cancers) but honestly the sun and D do much to make people feel good.  The more dark the skin, the more clothed we are (like my patients in the Arctic) the more masked we are from soaking in adequate D.

Do your own research on it and find out for yourself how it can help.  Again, in Nunavut during the 24 hours of dark, the insane cold that keeps me indoors for a month, dealing with sick patients one-after-another daily, and the sleep deprivation that can come with a work/call schedule of 24 hours a day 7 days a week, any legal help I can get from a harmless pill is welcome.  I find some benefits to Vitamin D for the winter blues.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Moosebunk said:

Medically...

Worked for years with this Doctor nut who was convinced Vitamin D supplements were the be-all-and-end-all to soooo many things.  I'd get tired of consulting with him on patients cause he'd want to prescribe it for just too many things.

Even 5 years ago I'd think phewy about it!  Until I began working in Nunavut and found that some other co-workers were taking it to help them through the 24 hours of darkness.

Every November/December for years, to some degree some things would start to bother... and sometimes some things could last the winter.  I'd self diagnose maybe a mild S.A.D. or just think I was down for this reason or that. But, in Nunavut 4 years ago I began taking Vitamin D daily through the dark months, 2000-3000 units each morning, and I honestly do believe it helps.  First and foremost with mood, second to that cognition and energy too. 

In the summer nobody soaks in D from the sun better than pale faced gingers.  That's good for feeling vital, (bad down the road for cancers) but honestly the sun and D do much to make people feel good.  The more dark the skin, the more clothed we are (like my patients in the Arctic) the more masked we are from soaking in adequate D.

Do your own research on it and find out for yourself how it can help.  Again, in Nunavut during the 24 hours of dark, the insane cold that keeps me indoors for a month, dealing with sick patients one-after-another daily, and the sleep deprivation that can come with a work/call schedule of 24 hours a day 7 days a week, any legal help I can get from a harmless pill is welcome.  I find some benefits to Vitamin D for the winter blues.

Sounds compelling. But as you know there are so many variables. And then there’s the placebo effect. It can be crazy.  I know too much Vit D can cause problems. Lots of MS in higher latitudes. Canada has Highest rate in the world. Some researchers think there’s a link to lack of Vit D.  Interesting topic. 

On 2/6/2020 at 11:07 PM, Moosebunk said:

Medically...

Interesting take and thanks for sharing

I am going to do some reading and check it out.  

Cheers

Andrew