Alabama dock fire

Old Ironmaker

Massive fire in northern Alabama Marina. All smaller crafts. 8 lives lost of which 4 were children. We have hundreds maybe thousands of these typr of small craft Marinas in Ontario. The boats are jammed together so tightly fire jumps from vessel to vessel well, like wildfire. Cruisers, cuddy's and house boats have 1 way in and 1 way out in most cases. It makes me think about several friends that basically live on their boats all summer. If you overnight on your boat do you have a fire escape plan? 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/01/28/alabama-boat-fire-dock-cleanup-scottsboro-marina-underway/4596284002/

Edited by Old Ironmaker

This was a horrible tragedy but received very little coverage on the news, yet the crash with Kobe Bryant is still talked about constantly on both Canadian & US stations.

Sad when similar terrible things receive such different amounts of interest.

• Like 2

Scary stuff.. and yeah it can happen anywhere.  Surrounded by water may give a false sense of security.  We have boaters living all year round in Hamilton too. I'm surprised that I haven't seen any out of their slips.. only commercial crafts are moving around..

Terrible tragedy,  just imagine the amount of flammables in the immediate area, gasoline, propane,  and all the combustible material 

to go along with the flames from all the  water craft near by.

Escaping flames on some large boats must be a problem,  smaller windows and doorways for example.

Very sad for the families indeed.