My last day at work....

NAW

I have decided to switch career paths a little bit. 

Currently working at a large machine and welding shop, which also has a large automation department, stamping press install and repair, Hydro and Nuclear re-build and repairs, etc... etc.....

Unfortunately there are way to many politics here for me to hit me career growth goals.  So I made the hard choice to leave this company (which I love), and enter an entirely new field. 

I am making a switch from metal to wood!   

I start a new job working at a company that makes log homes, cottages, bridges and large scale mass wooden beam trusses.  Big ones.  100' long, 6 x 4 foot fabricated wooden beams with tie rod re-enforcement.  And we will do all of the installation as well! 

My end goal is to be assisting with sales, project management, and operations in general.  Not just engineering like I am currently doing. 

Small company.  25 employees.  WAY less politics then my current employer. 

I'll be going from a company that has already peaked and is starting to slide downhill.  To a company that is on the rise in a somewhat niche market. 

Fingers crossed it all works out!! 

All of the being said.  I have the current liberty to use the internet for my personal use during day at work.  And that will end as of today.   So I won't be posting much for a while!!    AND, i have tomorrow and Friday off to go fishing!!

SO i'll be checked out for a while until I can figure out the dynamic of my new employer. 

Wish me luck!!  

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, misfish said:

I hear ya Nick, and know many that do and have, worked there. It can get trying at times.

All the best buddy.

Some guys have been here for 45 years.  Started here when they where 15... 

Still on the tools..  Exact same job 45 years later.

I can't do it.

27 minutes ago, Roy said:

Contrats to you, Nick!

Don't forget to answer my email. Thanks.

Thanks Roy!

It went to my junk mail.  Thought it was spam or something do I didn't open it.  It's gonzo now. 

You'll need to resend. 

Good for you Nick, that takes some guts not many have. One of the greatest quotes I have ever heard was about NFL coaching legend Vince Lombardi. "If he didn't quit his insurance sales job to coach a High School Football team he would have never coached in The NFL." 

I have to warn you, there are politics where there are only a hand full of employees. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Good for you Nick, that takes some guts not many have. One of the greatest quotes I have ever heard was about NFL coaching legend Vince Lombardi. "If he didn't quit his insurance sales job to coach a High School Football team he would have never coached in The NFL." 

I have to warn you, there are politics where there are only a hand full of employees. 

Thanks Bud!  Ya, I am prepared for a certain level of politics.  

It's just a little bit overwhelming at my current place..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NAW said:

Thanks Bud!  Ya, I am prepared for a certain level of politics.  

It's just a little bit overwhelming at my current place..

On the job politics. It is one of the reasons why I took a very early pension from the Steel Plant 20 years ago. If you didn't pick the right team it came back to bite you on the arse if the other team took over the reigns of power. I knew it might be time when I was told to move out of my big office with the window and into a cubicle. I really didn't care because I didn't spend much time on my butt in an office. When they said I was to share the  4X8 foot closet with someone I knew time was up. What a coincidence that my guy retired just the week before. Another of us was passed over for the  job he was temporarily doing for the last year. I told myself it was time to find the exit after 28 years. Office politics at it's best. Best move in my life I ever made was to leave. 

edit: The new team were all shown the exit within the next 6 months when the company was sold to a company with it's own team. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

OI, I’m in advertising and been for a long time but in the actual production of ads not design. I sign off before  any ads  hit the media or presses . . . So they don’t touch me at all 
but when a new president or creative director takes over the Creative team usually disappear  within months. 
One industry where jobs are never advertised to any extent, word of mouth  . . .

17 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

In 2000 I left my job and went back to school.

Was pretty scary at the time but it worked out well for me.

I did the same thing in 2001. I thought I would be the oldest in the University, not true. I didn't finish as I was offered a position with the Ontario Ministry of Labour. 

All the best hope you find what you are looking for! And like others have said...just because the company is smaller doesn't mean it won't have politics. In fact, sometimes it can be worse because you have to work more closely with those who are a pain. Having said that, it is easier to clean up problem situations in a small company as you have fewer people to replace. My boss dealt with whiny complainy staff a few years ago and now we have a great team of people, who enjoy working with each other. Here is hoping you find the same

Every job has its ups and downs, its good and its bad.  Kind of like pretty much everything in life.  But pretty much everybody knows when it's time to move on, and good luck to you.  Best not to live life with regrets.

From one of my favourite songs:

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention

I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way

Doug

Good Luck Nick, although I don't think you need it. You don't get opportunities unless you are good at what you do. Every opportunity happens for a reason, good or bad, you will definitely learn from it. Good for you for trying something new, a lot of people wouldn't even think about trying it.

Rob C

• 2 weeks later...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

I hear that 

picked up and left the GTA madness almost 3 years ago now and headed to the bottom of Nova Scotia took a hit on money  and the ease of access to things but its all relative.

I have a fantastic crew of guys in the shop that will walk through fire to get the job done

I have no stress well not like at the airport that's for sure

Traffic. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha none!

I do miss you guys though, you know who you are

ive been off social media except for news living low key and smelling the dasies

I will post some updates shortly.

Cheers

Peter