Fishing on The Rock - May???

AKRISONER

Hey Guys,

I just booked a trip to NL for a wedding commencing May 14th. Ive got about 8 days exploring the province to do and I am hoping that a few of those can be spent wetting a line. Ive got a rental car and am looking either for fishing opportunities or even the chance to stay at a lodge for a few days. Everything I seem to be reading keeps talking about the June atlantic run, but that leaves me SOL. I am also reading an absolute ton about river brookie fishing which obviously might be a better option considering the time of year and snow/ice that is sure to still be around on most lakes.

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas? Throw them at me. I know a few of you guys are from there as well, so if your brothers, son's uncles, line mates father in law knows a thing or two and you can get me his phone number I have no problem making a call.

Ive also read about land locked salmon on grand lake near cornerbrook. Apparently thats hot in May and the lake doesnt ice well so its open. I am having difficulty finding a lodge/guides out that way as well as everything seems to direct me to hunting outposts.

The biggest challenge is that it seems like most of the outfitters are hunting camps or want you to fly in andstay for an entire week which unfortunately is not an option.

Any direction you can point me is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by AKRISONER

I went to the rock for the 1st time for a wedding too, lol. I fell in love with it and have been back again and again.

I wouldn't spend too much time concentrating on fishing, I'd just enjoy the whole vibe of the place, it's a totally unique part of Canada, try to get off the beaten path and onto the less travelled tourist roads.

I've caught Atlantic Salmon on crazy, gorgeous rivers, but that's not what draws me back to NFLD.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

I wouldn't spend too much time concentrating on fishing, I'd just enjoy the whole vibe of the place, it's a totally unique part of Canada, try to get off the beaten path and onto the less travelled tourist roads.

I've caught Atlantic Salmon on crazy, gorgeous rivers, but that's not what draws me back to NFLD.

Exactly. Enjoy the culture,people and the food..

21 minutes ago, misfish said:

Exactly. Enjoy the culture,people and the food..

yeah, well said, people, culture, food, and I'll add the landscape, make it basically like another planet, it's awesome for the tourist who strays from the usual tourist traps, god bless NFLD

7 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I have three days in Peterview to visit my girlfriends brother as well. 

Those days will fly bye faster then you think. I would just look for wharf's to fish off. Do not  get to hung up on the river stuff. Fish the wharf's and get to know the people.  Plan a trip for just fishing another time. Yer still young. LOL

fishing wise, once I took this dirt road from Port Aux Basques to Borneo (I think that's the name) along the south shore of Red Indian Lake, with 4wd we drove along the beach along Red Indian and set up the tent and spent the night, it was awesome, but I caught Atlantics in the rivers that crossed that road

Jigging for cod in Rocky Harbour with Fred Snow, you're hand jigging with basically weed wacker line and a big heavy spoon, it was a blast and Fred's wife nailed a 12 pounder to top it off, Fred has a cottage on the ocean he rents out if you're in the Gros Morne area

Edited by chris.brock

Bring your winter gear, and rain gear. Your gonna need it. I'm not even sure trout season is open then. You might get something off a wharf somewhere, but that's not a great time of year for fishing. I guarantee you will see snow still then. 

S. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I’ve got a family member that I think is going to take me cod jiggin. I’m excited to see gros morne but I’m a bit worried it will be mostly inaccessible due to snow. We shall see.

Cod fishing isn't open then. There should be lots of icebergs though. If your going up to gros morne, you will need winter gear for sure. I'm from the very northern tip of the island, and we have gone on snowmobile trips for canada day. I'm not even lying. Bring your warm gear and waterproof boots. 

S. 

2 hours ago, Sinker said:

Cod fishing isn't open then. There should be lots of icebergs though. If your going up to gros morne, you will need winter gear for sure. I'm from the very northern tip of the island, and we have gone on snowmobile trips for canada day. I'm not even lying. Bring your warm gear and waterproof boots. 

S. 

Bring your new floater suit and you can jump the pans . 🤣

• Haha 1

Took the fam 20 yrs ago. Van and 5 people cost $700 back then for the ferry 😳. Did the whole TransCanada Hwy. Laughed pretty hard driving through Dildo 😎. Wanted to catch a river Atlantic. Fly rod only. Barbless. And had to hire a guide. Not far from Cornerbrook. No salmon. A few dink trout. Gross Morne is incredible. Lots of moose everywhere. Make sure you kiss the cod and get skreetched in!  

Your non-resident general fishing licence (NOT salmon) costs a pittance, and is known colloquially as your "troutin" licence.  But when you look at the water that you can actually FISH, just about all of the streams and rivers are designated waters and you cannot fish there.

In 2019, season for trout opened 15 May, not sure what the 2020 opener is.  As Sinker says, cod is not open then.  You might want to give up on your fishing plans.  I was there this past summer and in four weeks I found ONE brook that I could fish.  And I caught nothing but rocks.

It's a nice enough place, but honestly there are lots of places in Canada that have friendly people, good food, funny customs, and lots to talk about for somebody who is not from there.  Make the best of your trip, but don't expect fishing to be a big part of it.  Think ICEBERGS, lots of ICEBERGS, more than you will see just about anyplace else.

Doug

18 hours ago, akaShag said:

Your non-resident general fishing licence (NOT salmon) costs a pittance, and is known colloquially as your "troutin" licence.  But when you look at the water that you can actually FISH, just about all of the streams and rivers are designated waters and you cannot fish there.

In 2019, season for trout opened 15 May, not sure what the 2020 opener is.  As Sinker says, cod is not open then.  You might want to give up on your fishing plans.  I was there this past summer and in four weeks I found ONE brook that I could fish.  And I caught nothing but rocks.

It's a nice enough place, but honestly there are lots of places in Canada that have friendly people, good food, funny customs, and lots to talk about for somebody who is not from there.  Make the best of your trip, but don't expect fishing to be a big part of it.  Think ICEBERGS, lots of ICEBERGS, more than you will see just about anyplace else.

Doug

At the right time of year, there is a lot of fishing. Tons. July and august are awesome. Both salt and freshwater. 

I think your mistake with the trout was fishing the brooks.  The ponds are where the trout are. I know you can only fish a certain distance from the road, so that plays a part too I suppose. I have a personal guide there, so I'm kind of blessed that way with the fishing :)

May just isn't a real nice time of year on the island. It can be downright nasty, cold, and wet. Oh, don't forget the wind. Lots and lots of wind! 

S. 

Where about dare you going to be there! I can give you some nice spots to go for sea run brook trout or browns. Inland doesn’t open till May 24 weekend so your out of luck there. I may be there this year at the same time so if I am you can ride along with me! The week you will be there the brollies will be running in from the salt and the browns, depending on the coastline wilL be either gone or just coming in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marvin said:

Where about dare you going to be there! I can give you some nice spots to go for sea run brook trout or browns. Inland doesn’t open till May 24 weekend so your out of luck there. I may be there this year at the same time so if I am you can ride along with me! The week you will be there the brollies will be running in from the salt and the browns, depending on the coastline wilL be either gone or just coming in. 

I will be pm’ing you! I can literally be anywhere I’ll have a car and plan on travelling the entire island!

Edited by AKRISONER

On 2/5/2020 at 8:13 PM, AKRISONER said:

I will be pm’ing you! I can literally be anywhere I’ll have a car and plan on travelling the entire island!

Ok! Here is my cell number! I will be there for sea trout as well! 647-385-6450 I usually travell all over for them. The bigger fish are usually on the Avalon though when it comes to sea running ones.