NF - Computer help (building)

5 hours ago, John Bacon said:

I am hoping someone here can help.  My son is trying to assemble his own computer.  But I think that he is going to need some help.  Does anyone know some good computer shops or technicians in the Scarborough area where we can get this done.  Thanks.

If he is trying to do it himself, what stage is he stuck on? My son and I have been having fun building them as well. We source out all the components based on what performance, and aesthetics. Just finished one that is wall mounted (glass front), LED fans, ram and liquid cooled...the works. Just a hobby.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dave524 said:

Wow, haven't done that since DOS came on floppy discs, back thirty years ago there were shops everywhere.

Man I must be old. I was told to learn Word Perfect for 5.0 DOS in 95'. The co op student in the hole next to me said not to bother as something called Word was out and far better. My IT guy insisted on me learning and using Word Perfect. I refused and reminded him he was a contractor that works for me. Within a few months the IT crew was walking from office to office cubical to cubical telling everyone to dump WP and learn Word.  Latter on I learned we were paying this group of IT contractors 500K annually just for our division. We had 5 divisions then. And the board wanted to know why were not profitable. Contracting out  IT groups soon stopped and we promoted within and hired a few of them on as full time for much less than 2.5 million a year 

3 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

If he is trying to do it himself, what stage is he stuck on? My son and I have been having fun building them as well. We source out all the components based on what performance, and aesthetics. Just finished one that is wall mounted (glass front), LED fans, ram and liquid cooled...the works. Just a hobby.

We hit a snag trying to install the graphics card.

It may be because of the mother board is installed.

49 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Check the compatibility between the two. You'll find the info on the website for the graphics card manufacturer. 

Thanks, but it seems to fit the motherboard itself.  However, it seems to be part of the case that is stopping it from being pushed all the way into the motherboard. 

Should there be some spacers between the motherboard and the case?  If there was, it might solve the problem with installing the graphics card.

Pull the MB off the case and see if the card will install on it when not in the case.  If it does then yes you may need risers for the MB.  Most cases now do not need risers, it's been YEARS since I have seen them needed but times change...

1 hour ago, John Bacon said:

Thanks for all of your input.  We dropped it off at Canada Computers.  They will rebuild for $80.

And we do need standoffs for the mother board.  The board would have been fried if he had powered up with it screwed directly to the case.  

Oh jeez..I hadn't even considered the MB got screwed directly to the case!! Yikes. 

If I were closer I would be glad to help. Too hard to do over a message board. Good luck!

Added a picture of the wall mounted PC...

IMG_1042 (7).jpg

Edited by grimsbylander
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/20/2020 at 8:51 PM, grimsbylander said:

Oh jeez..I hadn't even considered the MB got screwed directly to the case!! Yikes. 

If I were closer I would be glad to help. Too hard to do over a message board. Good luck!

Added a picture of the wall mounted PC...

IMG_1042 (7).jpg

Thanks, we picked up the computer today.  $80 for labour and $10 for a fan hub.  And there is a gap between the mother board and the case 😉

Learned a little; and it all worked out in the end.  The guy at Canada Computers was a great guy to deal with.

It doesn't look quite the same as yours though.  That's an impressive unit.

Edited by John Bacon

Glad it worked. I just built a rig over the weekend. Sadly I think I damaged my old hard drive with all my saved data on it including all my fish pics. Going to see if I can get it working or see if I can get a data recovery program and see if I can get as much saved files as possible.