Pronav anyone have this? Looking for feedback

jjcanoe

Looks like a pretty sweet product however pretty pricey for just an add on to the motor. Also looks like the remote would be an additional purchase. Im not sure what motor you have but IMO it would be far more worth it to save that money you would spend on that a get a new motor with I-Pilot or I-pilot link. I believe you would be much more happy with your purchase as I was in the same boat as this last year. I ended up biting the bullet and buying a Terrova (which was pricey too) with I-Pilot and couldn't be more happy with the buy. 

Remote included, for the $849 

So $849 and keep my existing motor and get it upgrded to the features of a terrova with Ipilot and keep my Lowrance Elite, or about $4000 to upgrade both motor to a terrova and fish finder to a humminbird..... not really sure how this is more cost efficient 

Edited by jjcanoe
Spelling

2 hours ago, jjcanoe said:

Have a perfectly functional trolling motor without ipilot, and fishfinder/GPS,  both just a few years old,  upgrading both is what I find pricey compared to the Pronav. 

2 hours ago, jjcanoe said:

Remote included, for the $849 

So $849 and keep my existing motor and get it upgrded to the features of a terrova with Ipilot and keep my Lowrance Elite, or about $4000 to upgrade both motor to a terrova and fish finder to a humminbird..... not really sure how this is more cost efficient 

Not sure why you would have to upgrade your graph unless you're looking for the I-Pilot link features. I-Pilot would work with the current graph you have. I-Pilot Link would be the only reason to upgrade your graph, even then you need the Lakemaster chip. 

I don't know what kind of motor you have but if budget is a factor why don't you just buy the head unit upgrade for Minn Kota to give you the I-Pilot features? It's cheaper then the Pronav. You would be getting spot lock and auto-pilot I'm pretty sure. 

This sport of ours is becoming more expensive every day if one were to keep up on all the latest "gadgets." I agree for 900 bucks no way it is cost effective, just upgrade to the tried and true electronics that are proven to work. I wonder how many very expensive Smart Phones are lying on the bottom of lakes and rivers? Apparently you can't fish without holding one in your hand. Unless you have 3 arms casting, retrieving and looking at the screen has to be tricky. 

the ProNav Angler does not require cell service or a data connection to function

How can that work? 

8 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

the ProNav Angler does not require cell service or a data connection to function

How can that work? 

I haven't checked out the product as I don't have a trolling motor (sadly) but probably by BlueTooth from it to a phone or tablet.

At first glance I think it looks like a good alternative to a full upgrade. Checking the compatibility of your existing motor is step one...I’m out already. 
The one concern I do have is that it relies on a smart phone or tablet. There’s no way I’m pulling my phone out of my pocket every time I want to check position and it’s too small anyway. As for a as tablet, every left an iPad in the sun for 20 mins??? Lol. Not to mention rain. 
I think I’d save my money and get a package made for the elements. 

• Like 1

Yup connects via bluetooth. 

Currently have a powerdrive v2.  Can't upgrade that to I pilot.

Planning on using one of the old tablets or phones I have stashed in the "drawer".  If it ends up at the bottom of the bay, no big deal lol  All of them are compatible with Navionics, which is now one price for all devices you own (one subscription). 

Watching the videos on their website it looks like it will provide everything I need.

Maybe they need a Canadian field tester....

You can buy it as an upgrade to your existing motor or factory installed on a brand new trolling motor. One good thing about doing it this way (for kayakers at least) is you can get a cut down shaft option with full warranty as Pronav are Minnkota authorized.

Being able to look at a screen on your phone and touch drop route waypoints on an overhead satellite  pic (or Navionics map) is pretty slick:

I was thinking of putting this system on my ATAK120 (kayak).  But I started doing more backcountry stuff (wheel in or paddle in) and decided a Hobie made more sense - no batteries to charge and less weight. Otherwise I think this system would be killer on the right kayak (or boat).

Edited by Dutch01
  • Like 1

Thanks Dutch01, that's the type of feedback I was looking for.  I've seen the owners group on FB.  I hoped there was someone on here who had one in use, but seems like a fairly new product.  I'll give the owners group a shot as well. 

• Like 2

I’m assuming you have a 2017 or newer model.  It doesn’t seem they are upgradeable to ipilot.  For my Terrova I just slapped an ipilot head unit on it and away we went it took all of 10 minutes.  My terrova is a 2015 that I found new old stock in 2017 though.

22 hours ago, jjcanoe said:

Currently have a powerdrive v2.  Can't upgrade that to I pilot.

V2 can be upgraded to iPilot, v1 can't.

My TM is v1. I checked into upgrading when I got the motor.

I was able to add the co-pilot though so I have wireless remote.

iPilot upgrade: https://www.profishingsupply.com/product/minn-kota-ipilot-for-powerdrive-v2/

3 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

V2 can be upgraded to iPilot, v1 can't.

My TM is v1. I checked into upgrading when I got the motor.

I was able to add the co-pilot though so I have wireless remote.

iPilot upgrade: https://www.profishingsupply.com/product/minn-kota-ipilot-for-powerdrive-v2/

Hmmmm, bought the boat new in late 2015, came with the motor..... I'll have to check into that when it comes out of winter boat jail this spring

So the main differences are, 

IPilot: 6 saved tracks, 6 saved spotlocks, must record tracks and save spotlocks as you go 

Pronav: unlimited for both, can preset these points in advance on tablet or phone via Google earth or Navionics 

IPilot: remote, lose footpedal

Pronav: remote, keep footpedal

IPilot app: 2.9 rated by users

Pronav app: 4.2 rated by user

IPilot: warranty?? One year probably, couldn't find info

Pronav: lifetime warranty, lifetime software updates, 1 year buyback guarantee 

Most other features are quite similar

IPilot: $449

Pronav: $849

I guess the question really is, are all the extras worth $400?

• 9 months later...

I am looking for upgrades for my 2017 Minnkota Powerdrive V2 trolling motor.  I know Minnkota has an upgrade for for this model that includes the iPilot head and a hand held remote control for $460 USD.  I also saw a company that advertises an aftermarket GPS controlled system called ProNav - it looks easy to install/use but it is $975 USD (including remote)............or I can just kick in the additional $630 from the ProNav upgrade cost and buy a brand new motor for $2k that has iPilot and a build in transducer so I am failing to see the value in this upgrade.

https://motors.johnsonoutdoors.com/Catalog/ItemContent.aspx?ItemNumber=1100920

https://www.radioworld.ca/POWERDRIVE-BT-70LB-60in-I-PILOT-US2

https://pronavmarine.com/product/pronav-angler-with-powerdrive-upgrade-kit/

The options are nice to have but ProNav seems expensive for what you get........I am less than $700 from just buying a new motor with iPilot.  

Looks like I am between the Minnkota iPilot upgrade kit - or - selling mine and upgrading to a new one with iPilot.

I just do not see the ProNav value ($1,300 Cdn) for an upgrade kit.  Maybe if it was $600 or $700 Cdn I could justify it but not at $1,300 AND there is no Canadian distributors.

Had anyone bought either of these upgrades?  Any thoughts or ideas??