Gannon Narrows wide open.

captpierre

I went for a 90 minute hike along the Otonabee River near Trent University this morning and the water is flowing unbelievably fast and much higher than a week ago. I crossed the dam at Nassau Mills Rd. and they have all 7 gates open letting water through.

Looked more like the spring runoff in April rather than mid January.

Edited by lew

21 hours ago, moxie said:

Ya but with little to no snow pack on the ground and less than normal depth of frost in the ground  this spring should be much different than last. 

Winter has just begun.Its not over yet. Lots can happen between now and april. 

Water levels are definitely higher then normal...not sure if as high as folks are saying ...Just grabbed todays waterlevel results for Buckhorn...  .293 meters above average...it has been dropping over the last couple of days, but more rain coming tonight.    

Buckhorn Lake (Level Gauge) - Water Level (m)
Date Current Average Min Max
Jan 24 245.993 245.7 245.27 246.32

46 minutes ago, KawarthaAngler said:

I live on Upper Buckhorn and haven't noticed any fluctuations in the water level.  After big rains in winter ... certainly stronger current through bottlenecks such as Gannon Narrows, but that's all I've noticed.  Maybe I need to be more observant.  :)

Hey KawarthaAngler, Im also on Upper Buckhorn ( in the Kawartha Hideaway back bay area) and I have found it really tough to tell where the levels are. I'vebeen watching the Trent Waterway site which says that as of today we are 13 inches above average levels (included below), but it really didn't feel that much higher.

Then my neighbour showed me some older photos of his dock...were definitely a foot above normal. 

Buckhorn Lake (Level Gauge) - Water Level (m)
Date Current Average Min Max
Jan 28 245.981 245.65 245.3

image.png.bbb20c16e6900a4e38c00e2b2a2b24d3.png

The ice at my dock looks at normal levels for this time of year.  But yesterday when I looked to an open water spot against shore/docks where I'm familiar with the water height ... YES, I then saw it is high.

I've always thought of installing some time of measuring device at my dock ... just to observe out of curiosity.

Edited by KawarthaAngler