Myrtle Beach 2020 Jan.16

Big Cliff

This is a typical setup for the regular pier fishing group that I fish with, the ring and screws are hard to find around here, there aren't a lot of hardware stores around the beach and Wall-mart doesn't carry them so when you do get them you hang on to them for dear life. My first one was given to me by Al last year, I brought a couple with me from home this time.

Setup.JPG.4601011ba1953d954726045d96bbbd18.JPG

A close up of the ring, the big advantage of this is that you can easily see the slightest bite because you are using the full length of the rod.

1950881261_RodHolder.JPG.43c1369f3dc404f571963b133ab00e8b.JPG

Sitting in the sun drinking sweet ice tea, and no, I don't miss the ice and cold up North LOL

106741983_SweetIceTea.JPG.628b487b69467e88f9bf5040fa64773d.JPG

This is one of my fishing buddies Al, even though the days have been beautiful and warm, first thing in the morning out on the pier can be cool, the water temperature is only 54°F. Al was a NY State trouper until he retired, really nice guy and boy does he have some stories to tell.

1319387255_Watchingthesunrise.JPG.59e24bfb869f9a4d35c6fe33da6a6569.JPG

Not a lot of new fish pictures to add, we are catching a lot of whitings but one whiting looks the same as the next, I'll try to get a few pictures of some of the other fish we catch and add them. Fishing the pier is very different than anything else I've ever done, yesterday I did my usual 7:00 am at the pier, we caught some whitings and a few really nice ones but it was slow by normal standards.

We usually fish for a few hours then come in and do our whatever things. Yesterday I had a bit of time to kill in the afternoon so about 2:00 I decided to take a walk out on the pier with my rods. Middle of the afternoon, sun high in the sky I cast my first line in and didn't get a chance to pick up my second rod, the biggest whiting I have ever caught and it was non stop. I had to come back in at 3:30 but I hated to leave, it was some of the best catching I've had since I've been here, oh well lots more days to go!

We've got a bit of cold weather coming in for a few days, I'm not sure how that will affect the catching but fishing on the pier is always an adventure and I've hooked up with some really nice guys. I finally found someone that wants to go clam and oyster digging with me so we are going to give it a shot next week. I'm really looking forward to it, I love fresh shell fish and free is even better, a non resident license is only $35.00 for the year and you are allowed 1/2 a bushel of clams per day and about the same in oysters. I'll try to do a more detailed report on that when it happens.

Tight lines and stay safe!

Edited by Big Cliff
  • Like 5

On 1/16/2020 at 9:46 AM, DanD said:

You can tell you're in the States. Here there would be signs all over the place.

No screwing on the pier!

Rod Holder.JPG

Sure does look like you're enjoying yourself; good on you.

Dan.

No bungee cord to keep your rod and reel from being pulled in? small fish pier?

7 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

No bungee cord to keep your rod and reel from being pulled in? small fish pier?

I've had many sharks and skate hit on this setup, the harder they pull the tighter the rod holds. Perhaps because the pier is so high above the water they can bend the rod in half and the drag will go but in two years I haven't seen a single rod get pulled in that was in this setup. 

• Like 1