NF- (Rant)For those who enjoy whisky, not whiskey

b_cdot

If there is a degree available from Universities in Scotch Whiskey some of you guys here should be given Masters. If you are a collector of fine Scotch Whiskeys and they sit on your top shelf how do you know it's any good if you don't open them? I know a guy that collects fine cigars. He will take them out of his huge humidor the size of a small fridge to show you but never once will offer you one. That's being hoarders more than collectors. 

A pal was given a bottle of Louis The 13th Cognac for his 40th. I think the empty bottle goes for 300 bucks or some silly thing. He opened it and gingerly poured us all a flame heated snifter, then his father in law Gus "the Mule Skinner" poured cola in it, not even good Coke a Cola. Ivan was about to cry. 

• 1 month later...

"Blantons & Elijah are outstanding"

Far from an expert but agree with that statement.  The Scotch reviews have been interesting, still looking for my favorite, partly due to the price tag to experiment. 

Well said Ironmaker.....these things should be enjoyed, not collect dust :)

I look around now and then when fishing & life allows  :) Hope all is good with you!

Back to the thread.... 

Would the more experience be willing to suggest some reasonably priced scotches to try?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 8:06 AM, Bly said:

I look around now and then when fishing & life allows  :) Hope all is good with you!

Back to the thread.... 

Would the more experience be willing to suggest some reasonably priced scotches to try?

Nice to revisit this past discussion. I would not suggest you try a peated Islay. Most have to work up to them. If you start off with an Islay you might forever wonder WTH you just drank. Singingdog's suggestion is great. I would look at some consistent speysides like glenfiddich 12 or glenlivet 12. I'm not sure if youre new to scotch so you might have already tried those. I'd stick with some speyside or highland for someone new. If you can find highland park 10 or 12 that might be a good gateway scotch into some more peated malts. I only mentioned those because they arew widely available, mostly everything else I'd suggest is going to cost more money. If you like any of those then you can find out if it's worth trying something worth a bit more $. 

Edit** Cardhu 12 is also a great choice although I'm seeing it's gone up in price significantly since the last time I've purchased it

Edited by b_cdot

On 1/30/2020 at 3:40 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

As far as working night shifts, no one took into account that you had to go back in that night at 11. I had to attend Sunday dinners. birthdays and holidays at my in-laws when I worked 11 to 7 AM. No way I could stomach a full course meal at what was 4AM for me. My B-I-L was razing me for being a lump one evening when I should have been singing happy bday. No problem, that night I called him at 4AM and asked if he wanted to come over for a 6 course dinner at 5AM before he went to work? They never bothered me again. I did something similar with some Insurance salesman that insisted on calling me when I was sleeping as I was on nights. I told him not to call until next week.  He just kept calling during the day. I finagled his home number from him and called at 3AM to talk about upping my life insurance. Not only did I not up my policy I planned to change brokers and told the broker why. I hope he learned his lesson because the broker fired him and begged me to stay with them. I never wish for anyone to lose their jobs but this guy was in the wrong business.

I wish I had it in me to do that to some of my friends/family that have given me a hard time over the years. I definitely wanted to some days 

On 3/29/2020 at 8:06 AM, Bly said:

Back to the thread.... 

It would depend on your taste but I find Glendronnach 12 extremely hard to beat in its price range. LCBO has hiked the price these last few years but think you are still sub 75.00 per bottle. Now if you are not a single malt snob there is some truly great blends out there, if you can nab a bottle of Pig's Nose you'll not be disappointed (sub 40.00 if I remember correctly)Monkey Shoulder is another decent blend