NF- (Rant)For those who enjoy whisky, not whiskey

b_cdot

On 1/16/2020 at 7:58 AM, Big Cliff said:

Definitely return it to LCBO ( I wonder if someone could have emptied the bottle and refilled it with something else?) and I would send the distillery an email telling them how disappointed you are with this latest bottle

Big Cliff both you and I are so "early" 2000's. No one uses email today. Many  go into the garbage can before they are opened. So I have been told many times. My nephew is a global manager for a Canadian Engineering firm. He says he can get more than 300 emails a day. If his assistant had to open, read and forward to him the pertinent ones that's all he or she would be doing the entire day, including him reading and answering them. If it's that important they tweet or text or twitter or Facebook or whatever they do. I guess phones don't work any longer in 2020. What do you guys that still work deal with emails? Even back in 2000 when I had a job to go to I could get 50 or more emails on a Monday AM. 

25 minutes ago, b_cdot said:

Well the LCBO gladly took it back. I helped them fill out a computerized return. Told them what was wrong with it. They gave me a credit and I bought 2 new sippers instead of 1. LCBO was very nice about it. Even after almost half the bottle was finished. I likely wouldn't have taken it back without you guys nudging me. I'm glad I did.

These 3-11 shifts have me doing things at very odd times. 1:30 is prime time. I might make some chili at 2 am tonight, who knows!

Oh man, done that been there. The shower after 3 to 11 often took seconds depending how much crud we had on us. Back then the hotels, later called bars and now are clubs, had last call at 1AM. When they extended closing to  2 AM showers took a tad longer, 5 minutes! Often my wife was getting up and I hadn't been to bed yet and the kitchen was a disaster area. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, b_cdot said:

Well the LCBO gladly took it back. I helped them fill out a computerized return. Told them what was wrong with it. They gave me a credit and I bought 2 new sippers instead of 1. LCBO was very nice about it. Even after almost half the bottle was finished. I likely wouldn't have taken it back without you guys nudging me. I'm glad I did.

These 3-11 shifts have me doing things at very odd times. 1:30 is prime time. I might make some chili at 2 am tonight, who knows!

When I was young I worked midnights and had dinner at 4 am. Difficult to sleep in the summer so one morning I figure do some garden work and have a beer at 9 ! Until my neighbour came in her yard  and saw that!!!!!

I never tasted whiskey!  BUT a when my daughter was born I got a bottles of King’s Ransom. Or something like that.

Nice looking Ceramic  bottle, that was in 77 and opened it when she was 40. The cork fell apart and to it tasted  terrible. I’m kept the bottle.

I also have  Crown Royal from  64  and a small tiny thing around the same time. Wanted to have all the sizes but gave it up during moves. 

55 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

When I was young I worked midnights and had dinner at 4 am. Difficult to sleep in the summer so one morning I figure do some garden work and have a beer at 9 ! Until my neighbour came in her yard  and saw that!!!!!

I never tasted whiskey!  BUT a when my daughter was born I got a bottles of King’s Ransom. Or something like that.

Nice looking Ceramic  bottle, that was in 77 and opened it when she was 40. The cork fell apart and to it tasted  terrible. I’m kept the bottle.

I also have  Crown Royal from  64  and a small tiny thing around the same time. Wanted to have all the sizes but gave it up during moves. 

Those ppl need to understand that sometimes 9am for them is 9pm for you!

2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Big Cliff both you and I are so "early" 2000's. No one uses email today. Many  go into the garbage can before they are opened. So I have been told many times. My nephew is a global manager for a Canadian Engineering firm. He says he can get more than 300 emails a day. If his assistant had to open, read and forward to him the pertinent ones that's all he or she would be doing the entire day, including him reading and answering them. If it's that important they tweet or text or twitter or Facebook or whatever they do. I guess phones don't work any longer in 2020. What do you guys that still work deal with emails? Even back in 2000 when I had a job to go to I could get 50 or more emails on a Monday AM. 

When I got back from my month long trip to Ontario I had nearly 2000 emails waiting for me.

I do a quick scroll through to see the important ones then highlight the lot and click delete. ;)

18 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

When I got back from my month long trip to Ontario I had nearly 2000 emails waiting for me.

I do a quick scroll through to see the important ones then highlight the lot and click delete. ;)

I thought so. 2000 you say. There's 1440 mins in a 24 hr period. Spend a minute on each and you haven't done 25% of them in an 8hr day. Come on, you chuck them all, admit it,  then do what you are paid to do for the rest of the day. That's what I did with 50. I said if it was that important they would walk the 20 feet to my hole and ask me personally. Most were bad jokes and forwards where my name was 24th on the CC's. I never answered the phone either. Voicemail was the greatest invention ever. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Definitely had that happen...my mother-in-law tried to swap a cheap whisky into the bottle of an expensive brand and then gave it as a gift to me. No word of a lie, first sip I called her out on it. She denied it at first, but then when I told her we had to bring it back since it was definitely not right she finally fessed up. As someone else already said, maybe that is what happened to you? Someone along the line pulled a fast one.

1 hour ago, Rizzo said:

Definitely had that happen...my mother-in-law tried to swap a cheap whisky into the bottle of an expensive brand and then gave it as a gift to me. No word of a lie, first sip I called her out on it. She denied it at first, but then when I told her we had to bring it back since it was definitely not right she finally fessed up. As someone else already said, maybe that is what happened to you? Someone along the line pulled a fast one.

Bottle was sealed with the foil and cork was tight. There's no way. That's a funny story though. I know a guy who buys prince igor vodka and fills his grey goose bottle with it to add a bit more "class" to his bar.

4 hours ago, b_cdot said:

Btw I might consider sending Lagavulin an email. But like you guys said, I'm not very confident they'll get back. I feel the lcbo remedied the issue. Just might be a while before I consider buying that bottle again. 

Won't hurt to give it a  try, I have sent lots of companies emails some of appreciation some complaints, almost all of them respond.

On 1/16/2020 at 5:22 PM, b_cdot said:

Got this quote from Wiki to help!

"Single" indicates that all the spirits in the bottle come from a single distillery.That distillery may combine single malt whiskies of several ages in a bottle.

Yes this is true however unless the rules have changed yet again (and I admit not 100% up to date on these) Macallan got into some hot water years ago by doing something similar to this. The Japanese market is huge no doubt but it was the emerging Chinese market they were after and in doing this they were called to task by "mixing" younger malts with a touch of older malts and branding it 18 yrs, thus why we here in Canada starting seeing Macallan Ruby...etc. This continued with all brands HP, Laphroaig...etc  with NAS (no age statements) bottles. Lagavulin  has been acquired by Diageo the biggest "crooks" in whiskey & all the special edition bottles they can market. Laga used to do only 16 reg & 12 CS (cask strength) then when the devil took over a "distillers edition" started them on their downward spiral. Sure the first few editions were top notch, then we saw a 9yr come out, then a Game Of Thrones edition now a 11yr Offerman & countless others. If you want a top notch Islay I offer you this

VGFH0C5g.jpeg

I only ever tasted Scotch once in my life and that was about 45 years ago in the Bahamas. It was the most offensive thing I ever tasted and I think I told my wife I'd rather drink diesel fuel. LOL

Must be an acquired taste thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You should try the 8 year old! I’ve been a scotch drinker and collector for over 25 years now and have a huge selection gathered. I go to tastings here in the city and one of the best scotch bars around is actually in the upper beaches called Feathers. The Lcbo will always take that off bottle back. Rare to have that happen but it does sometimes. I just opened a bottle of snow Phoenix two nights ago and it was a bit off but it’s rare to find this bottle even with most collectors but like yourself, most would never notice the difference. 

On 1/22/2020 at 6:51 AM, lew said:

I only ever tasted Scotch once in my life and that was about 45 years ago in the Bahamas. It was the most offensive thing I ever tasted and I think I told my wife I'd rather drink diesel fuel. LOL

Must be an acquired taste thing.

You should try the crap (bourbon)  they call whisky in the US!!!

1 hour ago, Motorhead said:

https://nationalpost.com/news/scientists-discover-how-to-accurately-date-rare-bottles-of-scotch-whisky-and-find-treasure-trove-of-fakes

Just read this article,  WOW  almost 50% fake... I guess that clears up why you guys were having problems....

I think that the fakes are mostly so called vintage bottles. There is always a high end market for pretty much anything where those with mega-money are willing to pay ridiculous amounts to own something that no one else has, whether it be cars, real estate, art, antiques or even scotch. I can also see where an unscrupulous distillery may "blend" different years of single malt to improve the bottom line albeit for a different market, as said earlier the Japanese and now Chinese are consuming huge quantities.

Every time we travelled to Japan we all brought a bottle of top shelf Scotch for them as gifts. You would have thought we gave them the World. I as well had a fishing pal that was an old timer to us then and he always brought a bottle of Crown Royal that was filled with 4 Feathers or Wedding gut rot rye. When I called him out he just laughed. He was the guy that told us to keep a big Pike and stuffed it with Pickerel fillets. He spent 5 years in a POW camp, in Canada. We all miss Ozzy, RIP. 

As far as working night shifts, no one took into account that you had to go back in that night at 11. I had to attend Sunday dinners. birthdays and holidays at my in-laws when I worked 11 to 7 AM. No way I could stomach a full course meal at what was 4AM for me. My B-I-L was razing me for being a lump one evening when I should have been singing happy bday. No problem, that night I called him at 4AM and asked if he wanted to come over for a 6 course dinner at 5AM before he went to work? They never bothered me again. I did something similar with some Insurance salesman that insisted on calling me when I was sleeping as I was on nights. I told him not to call until next week.  He just kept calling during the day. I finagled his home number from him and called at 3AM to talk about upping my life insurance. Not only did I not up my policy I planned to change brokers and told the broker why. I hope he learned his lesson because the broker fired him and begged me to stay with them. I never wish for anyone to lose their jobs but this guy was in the wrong business.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I have an LCBO question ( it is a likker thread).

Does the selection in stores vary by locality.  The reason that I ask, is that the ones in Napanee and Deseronto seem to have a very limited selection.

I generally drink blend (Canadian) Crown Black for neat and  medium line with mixers.  Up there, I usually get Wiser's Deluxe because my dearly departed Mother in Law worked at Corby's in Belleville for years.

Would the selection be better in Belleville or Kingston?

Selection in stores definitely varies.

The Belleville (Quinte Mall location)store would have a larger selection than Napanee.

Not sure about Kingston but it might be your best bet.

Picton also has a fairly large store you could check out if your in that area. You could do some wine tasting while in that area too.

If you go to lcbo.com you can search individual stores to see if they carry a particular product your interested in.

23 hours ago, Crimsongulf said:

I have an LCBO question ( it is a likker thread).

Does the selection in stores vary by locality.  The reason that I ask, is that the ones in Napanee and Deseronto seem to have a very limited selection.

I generally drink blend (Canadian) Crown Black for neat and  medium line with mixers.  Up there, I usually get Wiser's Deluxe because my dearly departed Mother in Law worked at Corby's in Belleville for years.

Would the selection be better in Belleville or Kingston?

They definitely do cater to the demographic of the area, if you need a few bottles they have free shipping in February online if you spend $200 

2 hours ago, leaf4 said:

They definitely do cater to the demographic of the area, if you need a few bottles they have free shipping in February online if you spend $200 

Thanks.  I roll the dice at duty free in Detroit and get a pretty good stock.  I did notice online that they now carry Forty Creek which they didn't last year.  I will definitely check Belleville since I usually have to make two or three trips to Home Depot in Belleville.

• 2 weeks later...