NF- (Rant)For those who enjoy whisky, not whiskey

b_cdot

I am a huge fan of scotch especially Islays. For many of us to enjoy a nice bottle of scotch we usually have to spend a few more dollars than we would like sometimes. I've been lucky enough to treat myself to a bottle of Lagavulin 16 here and there. This at one point was my favourite bottling and stood alone. I recently bought a bottle after a couple buddies helped me move some heavy furniture. It was my treat to them for their hard work. We enjoyed a dram and I thought to myself this is "different". The bottle got put away and I came back to it the other night. Poured a dram and immediately noticed this wasn't my trusty scotch anymore. This was something far different and it was incredibly "off". When buying a bottle of scotch that's $130 you'd expect to be getting what you pay for. Not this time. I feel ripped off. I'm having trouble believing that such a good distillery would even let this stuff reach the shelves. Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else? First time ever for me. Might be my last time with Lagavulin 16, it's quite upsetting. We've had some good times.

Edited by b_cdot

It may just be a fluke in the bottling process.  Don't hesitate to return it to the LCBO.  They will be more than happy to exchange it for you and then you will know whether to move on or stick with your old friend.

Cheers

Smitty 

Big Islay fan myself. Just "acquired" a new bottle of Lagavulin 16, (my fave), (Christmas prezzy). Haven't opened it yet but will report back. Bruichladdich is another of my guilty pleasures, not quite as smoky/peaty as Lagavulin but a nice tipple. Bowmore is a nice, pleasant and affordable everyday Islay, less than half of a bottle of Lagavulin, worth a try. I am planning a trip over the pond early this fall and would like to do the Islay, and other, distillery tours. 

A few years back, I visited the biggest scotch bar in Ottawa to do some taste testing (they had tasting size prices). I was hopeful that I could avoid spending big $$$ only to be disappointed. One of the bottles I wanted to try was the 18 year old Highland Park. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this somewhat peaty scotch. Consequently, a few days later, I put down $200 at the LCBO for a bottle of the 18 year old Highland Park. A week later, I opened the bottle and poured myself a dram. IT WAS TERRIBLE! It had hardly any resemblance to the Highland Park I had taste tested in the bar. I corresponded with Highland Park representatives to try to understand how this could happen. Highland Park's response provided no satisfaction. I concluded that their quality control was non existent and that I would never buy another bottle. However, there's a good ending to this story. My son-in-law loves a dram now and then and so I invited him to try the Highland Park one evening after dinner. He loved it and the bottle instantly became his.

1 hour ago, Tomcat said:

A few years back, I visited the biggest scotch bar in Ottawa to do some taste testing (they had tasting size prices). I was hopeful that I could avoid spending big $$$ only to be disappointed. One of the bottles I wanted to try was the 18 year old Highland Park. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this somewhat peaty scotch. Consequently, a few days later, I put down $200 at the LCBO for a bottle of the 18 year old Highland Park. A week later, I opened the bottle and poured myself a dram. IT WAS TERRIBLE! It had hardly any resemblance to the Highland Park I had taste tested in the bar. I corresponded with Highland Park representatives to try to understand how this could happen. Highland Park's response provided no satisfaction. I concluded that their quality control was non existent and that I would never buy another bottle. However, there's a good ending to this story. My son-in-law loves a dram now and then and so I invited him to try the Highland Park one evening after dinner. He loved it and the bottle instantly became his.

Not a big Highland Park fan but what didn't you like about it? It received rave reviews a number of years ago and had a huge Japanese following. Seems to have lost the plot recently and reviews have been mediocre at best..

Not a serious whisky. Frivolous and over priced.

Viking Pride? HP whisky should do the work itself without having to be given a ridiculous name.

24th December 2019

What the hell happened to Highland Park?

Who doesn’t like Highland Park? Used to be the refrain of every whisky drinker I knew. Then they lost their damn minds, deciding they were a Marvel Comics tie-in product. The bottles and labels got absurd, the quality of the actual whisky fell, it’s all over the place, and it seems as if they’d be happier making “Odin’s Fire Cinnamon Schnapps.” Edrington ruins everything it touches.

10 hours ago, Sandbag said:

It may just be a fluke in the bottling process.  Don't hesitate to return it to the LCBO.  They will be more than happy to exchange it for you and then you will know whether to move on or stick with your old friend.

Cheers

Smitty 

8 hours ago, singingdog said:

Never experienced that. It's a double-shame that it happened with Lagavulin 16: one of my faves as well. I would take it back as well. BTW, have you tried the Laphroaig Select? It's another really nice Islay that I just discovered. 

8 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

Definitely return it to LCBO ( I wonder if someone could have emptied the bottle and refilled it with something else?) and I would send the distillery an email telling them how disappointed you are with this latest bottle

I was able to talk to the manager at the local LCBO and he said he would be glad to exchange it. He tried to tell me the reason it tatsted different and the reason was quite disapointing. He said that due to the large amounts purchased over the last few years (especially by Japan) that the younger whisky was being blended with the older whisky to keep up with demand. By saying that, there is 16 year old lagavulin in the bottle but only a portion of it. One thing that I've noticed with this bottling is that it actually tastes like a younger whisky after the initial peat and smoke it just kind of dies, it's thin and it actually tastes a bit like "skunky weed". That thick richness that usually lingers is non existent. If any of you know more about the distilling process at Lagavulin do you feel that this is a plausible explanation for why this taste different? I don't feel like the LCBO manager would bullsh#t a bullsh#tter haha.

9 hours ago, singingdog said:

Never experienced that. It's a double-shame that it happened with Lagavulin 16: one of my faves as well. I would take it back as well. BTW, have you tried the Laphroaig Select? It's another really nice Islay that I just discovered. 

I have not tried the Laphroig select and it has been hit and miss, a lot more "misses" with me experimenting with non age statement whiskies. ALTHOUGH my favourite non age statement whisky is the Laphroigh Quarter Cask and I do believe it is probably the best bang for your buck nowadays. It's one hell of a good whisky for anyone who likes Islay. Knowing the way laphroig does things I would totally be open to trying Laphroig Select, I have also heard that Laphroig Lore is great for NAS bottle.

14 minutes ago, b_cdot said:

I was able to talk to the manager at the local LCBO and he said he would be glad to exchange it. He tried to tell me the reason it tatsted different and the reason was quite disapointing. He said that due to the large amounts purchased over the last few years (especially by Japan) that the younger whisky was being blended with the older whisky to keep up with demand. By saying that, there is 16 year old lagavulin in the bottle but only a portion of it. One thing that I've noticed with this bottling is that it actually tastes like a younger whisky after the initial peat and smoke it just kind of dies, it's thin and it actually tastes a bit like "skunky weed". That thick richness that usually lingers is non existent. If any of you know more about the distilling process at Lagavulin do you feel that this is a plausible explanation for why this taste different? I don't feel like the LCBO manager would bullsh#t a bullsh#tter haha.

Will see if I can find out anything further on the LCBO mgrs comments. I struggle to imagine that Islay distilleries have started "blending" single malts!

7 hours ago, John said:

Big Islay fan myself. Just "acquired" a new bottle of Lagavulin 16, (my fave), (Christmas prezzy). Haven't opened it yet but will report back. Bruichladdich is another of my guilty pleasures, not quite as smoky/peaty as Lagavulin but a nice tipple. Bowmore is a nice, pleasant and affordable everyday Islay, less than half of a bottle of Lagavulin, worth a try. I am planning a trip over the pond early this fall and would like to do the Islay, and other, distillery tours. 

Let me know what you think of the Lagavulin. I have never bought a bottle of Bruichladdich. It is one that has escaped me, mainly because I've never seen it on the shelf. I have a freind who says their Octomore is unbelieveable. I have tried Bowmore 12 before and I haven't returned to it. Although I have heard that Mclellands Islay is just some younger Bowmore 12 if you even want to adventure into a thriftier bottle. If you do the trip please share on the forum.

1 minute ago, John said:

Will see if I can find out anything further on the LCBO mgrs comments. I struggle to imagine that Islay distilleries have started "blending" single malts!

So technically it's not blending different malts but blending the same malt just at different ages. That way they can still call it a single malt

3 minutes ago, John said:

Got this quote from Wiki to help!

"Single" indicates that all the spirits in the bottle come from a single distillery.That distillery may combine single malt whiskies of several ages in a bottle.

4 hours ago, Tomcat said:

Looks like you had a similar experience with HP. I've always liked highland park. The 10 year old and the 12 year old. I've had the 15 year old but I found for the price it wasn't much different than the 12. It's great your son in law was able to enjoy it.

2 hours ago, John said:

Not a big Highland Park fan but what didn't you like about it? It received rave reviews a number of years ago and had a huge Japanese following. Seems to have lost the plot recently and reviews have been mediocre at best..

Not a serious whisky. Frivolous and over priced.

Viking Pride? HP whisky should do the work itself without having to be given a ridiculous name.

24th December 2019

What the hell happened to Highland Park?

Who doesn’t like Highland Park? Used to be the refrain of every whisky drinker I knew. Then they lost their damn minds, deciding they were a Marvel Comics tie-in product. The bottles and labels got absurd, the quality of the actual whisky fell, it’s all over the place, and it seems as if they’d be happier making “Odin’s Fire Cinnamon Schnapps.” Edrington ruins everything it touches.

This could easily be the result of them doing what the LCBO manager said. I haven't bought a bottle of HP in 2-3 years. I refuse to buy bottles that say "viking's honour". They are trying to make up for selling lesser quality by giving it a fancy name. I guarantee it's working and I guarantee it's taking advantage of those who are new to trying whisky. 

4 hours ago, John said:

The bottle of 18 year old Highland Park that I purchased had a harsh taste - it wasn't anywhere near as smooth as the sample I taste tested in the bar.

Currently, an 18 year old Aberlour is what goes into my glass.

11 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Not whisky but I purchased a bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 at duty free on the way home from Ontario and it's a really nice rum. My buddy that lives in Honduras is bringing me a 25 year old bottle of Flor De Cana next month. I'm sure it will be awesome.  😁

Our fishing group really enjoys sipping some Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva rum during our trips.

On 1/16/2020 at 9:51 AM, John said:

As said above, Return it to the LC theres very possibly a problem with the bottle.

Bowmore 12 sips way above its pay grade. Im also a fan of Auchentoshan 12 as well for those of us on a budget!

There was a time I only drank good Scotch. Now I can't even smell it without getting ill. Too much at one sitting can do that.

Definitely get to your LCBO manager with the bottle. When I read your topic heading about a booze rant and saw the time to be 1:30 AM I thought it might be a rant tainted in wiskey. Not so. Go see your LCBO mgr. They are very accommodating, it's their job to be. 

Well the LCBO gladly took it back. I helped them fill out a computerized return. Told them what was wrong with it. They gave me a credit and I bought 2 new sippers instead of 1. LCBO was very nice about it. Even after almost half the bottle was finished. I likely wouldn't have taken it back without you guys nudging me. I'm glad I did.

2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

There was a time I only drank good Scotch. Now I can't even smell it without getting ill. Too much at one sitting can do that.

Definitely get to your LCBO manager with the bottle. When I read your topic heading about a booze rant and saw the time to be 1:30 AM I thought it might be a rant tainted in wiskey. Not so. Go see your LCBO mgr. They are very accommodating, it's their job to be. 

These 3-11 shifts have me doing things at very odd times. 1:30 is prime time. I might make some chili at 2 am tonight, who knows!