Good heated gloves, please advise.

Old Ironmaker

I have and have had circulation problems Type 2 Diabetes related in my hands. Nothing as bad as this year, and it isn't even cold. It's bad, I can't even walk more than 100 yards in -1C and have to tap out as my right hand fingers are so cold the tips turn white with good quality work gloves on, not good. I need a recommendation for the very best heated gloves from you ice fishing and outdoorsmen Gurus. Is there such a thing? I have a good budget. I need all my fingers. My Doc gave me a RX. to submit to OHIP or OOS. (Old Age Security) 

Thank You ahead of time.

Johnny D.

21 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

You want toasty hands get a pair of seal skin mitts!!!!

My friend just transferred to Sachs Harbor NWT and I'm going to get her to source me a pair.

Down here they are pretty expensive, up in the communities you can get them cheaper.

I don't think anyone is going to pay for a flight up there. I'd probably lose 10 fingers by the time I get into the airport from the DC-3 if there is an airport or it's just an airfield like Sue Aitkens. Poor attempt at comedy not withstanding I would really appreciate a contact if you really recommend them after you get yours. No better a test than where you are where -40 is -40. 

Thanks Geoff. I'll Google them. I'm sitting here next to the fire and the furnace is set at 70F and my fingers are cold as I type. 

10 hours ago, cisco said:

Gloves aren't mitts. Mitts is what you need and get em a bit larger to insert chemical hand warmers into. You know, those little packets you shake to activate. Some are duds though so before venturing forth ensure the things are working.

The warmers now, well most are air activated. No shaking required. Good thing. Nothing like shaking a pack or 2 in the truck and get the look, whats that guy doing in there ? LOL

You want mitts JD.  My right pinky gets cold real easy. I put a nail through it in the early 80,s. Ever since then, it gets cold and very painful.

Edited by misfish
  • Haha 1

We wore leather mitts and hand warmer pacs  when ice fishing and working outdoors occasionally at the plant. Mitts are OK unless you need to use your hands like using a radio outdoors, driving or those time dexterity is required outdoors like using a phone to chopping wood. I need gloves that keep my fingers from freezing. Maybe heated gloves have yet to be developed. There is an opportunity for someone to fill a niche with a new product. Time to Google. 

Not totally off topic. I knew this nut bar Pipefitter that could only work as far away as the electrical extension cord to the heating pad he wore around his torso. Both indoors and outdoors. I tried it on and It worked. Maybe he wasn't so nuts after all. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

https://www.amazon.ca/VentureHeat-Unisex-Adult-Battery-Heated-Medium/dp/B01HE8UGPY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?creativeASIN=B01HE8UGPY&imprToken=oBYkvb1-1leOFNVyLkzhbw&slotNum=6&ie=UTF8&qid=1506719696&sr=8-1&keywords=venture+heated+glove+liners&linkCode=sl1&tag=sport0a0d-20&linkId=c9d13e2e5b80d528c9cabf483a7ade4a

My Pops had big issues with circulation in his hands called raynaud's disease with these pair of heated under gloves and a good pair of over gloves he was fine. The advantage of these under gloves is you can pull the outer gloves off and they are thin enough to do more delicate work. While pricee they are a good answer to your issue. 

Art

16 minutes ago, aplumma said:

My Pops had big issues with circulation in his hands called raynaud's diseas3

I've got the same issue with my hands Art and basically need my hands covered as soon as the temps drop below freezing.

I don't need the dexterity of gloves so I use the handwarmers inside good mitts and no matter how cold it gets my hands are warm and these warmers last 7-8 hours. I use the same mitts I wore when I was working, good quality leather with a fleece lining.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/grabber-hand-warmers-10-pk-0750057p.html#srp

I used to do a LOT of winter biking and wore what they call Lobster Gloves. Just a thumb with only 2 fingers so you could keep to one to hold the grips and the other for either brake or shift levers. Never got cold with those either.

Edited by lew

Amazon. 
Savoir electric heated gloves. 
ASIN #
B01LWKECIO

Description

If you've struggled to find gloves that keep your hands warm in bitter winter weather, turn to the Savior Heated Mitts. These gloves have everything you will need to brave the toughest weather conditions. 
Innovatively designed, these premium full finger gloves gently warm the entire length of each finger, back of the hand, keeping your hands nice and toasty even when battling freezing temperatures. 
Durable and Comfortable - We’ve used premium grade materials to give these gloves the durability, however, doesn’t come at the expense of comfort. The gloves have a breathable membrane and soft lining. 
You’re in for a comfy experience even with prolonged wear; no more dealing with sweaty hands

$175.00 for a pair not cheap. 
Not sure on their claim of 6 hour battery life (on the low setting) but the reviews sound good? 122 reviews with 4.3 stars out of 5 usually means a decent product?

Dan. 

26 minutes ago, lew said:

I've got the same issue with my hands Art and basically need my hands covered as soon as the temps drop below freezing.

I don't need the dexterity of gloves so I use the handwarmers inside good mitts and no matter how cold it gets my hands are warm and these warmers last 7-8 hours. I use the same mitts I wore when I was working, good quality leather with a fleece lining.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/grabber-hand-warmers-10-pk-0750057p.html#srp

I used to do a LOT of winter biking and wore what they call Lobster Gloves. Just a thumb with only 2 fingers so you could keep to one to hold the grips and the other for either brake or shift levers. Never got cold with those either.

I actually could survive in Canada I think.... I have a pair of Arctic  muckluks, The snipers lobster gloves from my Days in the Military.  I added a firewire heated vest  and the final piece to round off my collection is a real Russian Fox Ushanka hat. When I go hunting and need my fingers I use a fuzzy insulated waist tube with a few hand warmer packs. I really hate being cold when I am outdoors. 

Art

32 minutes ago, aplumma said:

I really hate being cold when I am outdoors. 

Art

I spend a lot of time outside Art and really enjoy the frigid temps as long as I'm dressed well. Pretty well every day starts with a 4 mile walk no matter how cold it is. 

Edited by lew

14 minutes ago, lew said:

I spend a lot of time outside Art and really enjoy the frigid temps as long as I'm dressed well. Pretty well every day starts with a 4 mile walk no matter how cold it is. 

All the makings of a ice fishing angler . I do not get why you do not ice fish . 🤣

4 minutes ago, misfish said:

All the makings of a ice fishing angler . I do not get why you do not ice fish . 🤣

The. Bottom of his boots get cold!

OIM,   I have a pair of those wool gloves that have half of the fingers and a “hood” you can pull back. Wear them when using my snowblower when I need finger work I pop the hood, They work well. Something to consider.

3 hours ago, aplumma said:

h

My Pops had big issues with circulation in his hands called raynaud's disease with these pair of heated under gloves and a good pair of over gloves he was fine. The advantage of these under gloves is you can pull the outer gloves off and they are thin enough to do more delicate work. While pricee they are a good answer to your issue. 

Art

Thank you Art et all. This is exactly what I need. It looks like there are more than a few available from 100 CDN and up. More than worth the $$ if they work. Heck I got a 100 dollar gift card from Moore's, got a Tooke and a pair of socks. I don't usually order anything on the interweb thing but Amazon is something I can trust I think. I have read all the comments from buyers and they all seem satisfied. I will let you all know what I buy and how well they work. I just went outside to lift the wipers off the truck and car. They were frozen to the glass so I went back in and got a jug of water. Only took my right glove off long enough to pour the water on them. My fingers on my right hand were burning after less than 60 seconds for Lord's sake. Doc told me to run them under lukewarm water until they stop burning.  

Geoff, I have a box of gloves and mitts of all construction, styles and makes, so far no good. I always wore the mitts that flip down for fishing and shovelling snow. This year if I expose my right fingers for seconds I'm done and even with the mitt part on if it's below 0C, I'm done. I'm sure these heated gloves will help. Exercise and diet too, I've never been one to work out at home. Just walking is going to help as long as my fingers don't fall off. My wife suggested I walk the track around the new arena in town, great advise, need to take it. The 1st step is the hardest. 

Thanks again guys.

JD

Edited by Old Ironmaker

https://www.amazon.ca/Electric-Rechargeable-Battery-Arthritis-Motorcycling/dp/B07TP36SSL/ref=pd_sbs_263_6/144-7097427-0878665?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07TP36SSL&pd_rd_r=c6662ceb-2d35-4542-81e1-9902fb9ecc57&pd_rd_w=INsKe&pd_rd_wg=1wkRl&pf_rd_p=dbebb38c-0e3d-4a67-ac15-432d7c7a2789&pf_rd_r=1FSGEJ2DRVKQD6PQCX8K&refRID=1FSGEJ2DRVKQD6PQCX8K

After 2 hours of looking at heated gloves and glove liners online we have decided to buy the pair above. Meets all my needs I am sure. 160 bucks plus tax CDN. I will be submitting the bill to my insurance provider as well as OAS (Old Age Security). My Doc said he would write a scrip for them. I don't know if I will get reimbursed for anything but if you don't ask you will never get an answer. 

Thanks again guys. 

Johnny D

• Like 1

16 hours ago, misfish said:

The warmers now, well most are air activated. No shaking required. Good thing. Nothing like shaking a pack or 2 in the truck and get the look, whats that guy doing in there ? LOL

sometimes we just get a lil too excited to ice fish ahhahaha

I personally use Kast Gear steelhead gloves. They are truly fully waterproof which the seal skins are not. Dexterous enough to fish a baitcaster, spinning reel or fly fish with.

Not sure if you are just looking for warm gloves for every day use but when im just trying to keep my hands warm, mitts do the job. Infact when i go late fall boating i wear mitts while driving the boat and then switch to gloves while i fish!