Myrtle Beach 2020 Jan. 12

Big Cliff

Flea markets are a big thing down here but you have to really watch your prices, we visited one yesterday afternoon at Surfside Beach, I've been told it's the largest one in these parts, it's pretty big for sure. I did notice a lot of things  that were priced well above what you might buy them for at the Dollar store, kitchen utensils and things like that so you really have to know your prices. It was still fun to do, we were there for a couple of hours and still didn't manage to see the whole thing.

Boiled peanuts OMG if you've never tried them you have to! A couple of things though, DON'T buy them from just anywhere, I did buy some from a small grocery/market store and they weren't fresh and they were awful. Yesterday I bought some from a vendor at the flea market (people were lined up to get them) Hot, fresh, delicious, if nothing else it was worth the trip just to get them. $2.00 for a large Styrofoam cup of them and it was almost enough for a meal. I'd go back again (and I will) just for the boiled peanuts and it's about 30 miles from here. 😋

Gas is cheep down here, Krogers which is a grocery store but has gas pumps too is $2.33/gal but if you have a Krogers card (kind of a points card but instant discounts) you get a discount on your gas and if you rack up $100.00 in groceries you save an extra $0.30 a gallon. Some foods like beef are more expensive down here but chicken, pork, things like that are about the same or less than what we are used to.

The fishing has been pretty good, yesterday I fished from 7 to about 10:30 and came home with 14 whitings, caught two crabs, and a bunch of crokers, if you go more than 10 minutes without a bite you check your line, crabs like to steal your bait. It seems there are several fish that are called "whitings" the ones we catch here are also known as Southern King Fish.

I did a lot of reading when we first got here to try to learn how/what/and where to catch them, don't beleave everything you read on the internet! They will tell you to fish in the surf, use sand fleas, shrimp, clams, for bait, don't fish the deeper waters around the pier.... we use FishBites, and fish just shy of the end of the pier and haven't been skunked yet (except the one day we tried sandfleas) (small crabs) and tried fishing the surf.

Anyway, time to get dressed and go fishing.

Tight lines and stay safe!

• Like 2