Myrtle Beach 2020 and a few pictures

Big Cliff

A Myrtle Beach Sun RiseSunrise.JPG.b8e76a6dcb5dc189dca4f3720995901c.JPG

This is a croker, they are plentiful and I am told they are bony but good eating, we usually just throw them back.

Croker.JPG.a1a8a0a40be5cb82658c2115b2b01f76.JPG

This is our home away from home, there isn't much of a yard which suits me just fine

199774854_Homefornow.JPG.868fc4cf98968e08a7576723b919136e.JPG

A small puffer fish, I'll try to get a picture of one that hasn't puffed up yet, doesn't look anything like it does at this point.

Puffer.JPG.684b57634d25932844e967dace91a1e9.JPG

A spider crab, this is a small one, they will grab your bait and not let go until you get them right up on the pier, not very big but lots of attitude.

1774131756_SpiderCrab.JPG.4a5efa22a1631f17f3503c74296bd636.JPG

Last but not least for today is our target fish, a whiting, My buddy and I landed about 50 of these guys between us this morning, this isn't the biggest one but considered a keeperWhiting.JPG.601ddc173588d2e447115e8aa0ff7ccd.JPG

It was cold this morning, only +4 but by noon it was up to +19.

Crab.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mikeh said:

sounds like the weather has been pretty good, 

is that a trailer /mobile home park?

keep the fish pictures coming.

Yes it is, we are in what they call "leisure living" owners can rent their units out through the office for a fee. If you go to Google maps satellite view we are 1 row back from the beach and in a direct line with the pier

Ah man, I'm so jealous. If we didn't book flights to head south together next month I would have been there yesterday. I have a younger 1st cousin that is a retired Marine from Western NY living on an Island in S.C. , Beaufort I think, near where he taught basic training. He was featured on 60 Minutes doing what he did years back. Talk about a tough as nails Teddy Bear. He has been wanting me to visit for years but he doesn't fish, and he is surrounded by The Atlantic, go figure. So it could have been a 2 for 1 trip. 

Is that a new pier Cliff? I think the pier we fished from got wiped out years ago. Love the fish pics. Do you ever go for Sea Trout? They are a good size, easy to catch on one of our Pickerel Rigs on a casting float with a shrimp on each of the 2 hooks. Look like our Specks but have 2 very sharp top teeth, don't lip one. There are perfect circles on them and each circle has a perfect cross in it, almost look fake. They taste fantastic. I can tell you better than those Whiting in my opinion. So easy to clean and pan fry too. I think I told you this already, not sure, maybe.  Keep up the great WORK! Must be tough. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

On 1/14/2020 at 5:23 AM, Old Ironmaker said:

Is that a new pier Cliff? I think the pier we fished from got wiped out years ago. Love the fish pics. Do you ever go for Sea Trout? They are a good size, easy to catch on one of our Pickerel Rigs on a casting float with a shrimp on each of the 2 hooks. Look like our Specks but have 2 very sharp top teeth, don't lip one. There are perfect circles on them and each circle has a perfect cross in it, almost look fake. They taste fantastic. I can tell you better than those Whiting in my opinion. So easy to clean and pan fry too. I think I told you this already, not sure, maybe.  Keep up the great WORK! Must be tough. 

The pier is fairly new, at least the end section is, the last few hundred feet was wiped out by a hurricane a couple of years ago and had to be rebuilt.

I haven't gone for sea trout yet, this time of the year mackerel, trout, things like that aren't very plentiful this far North, the water is too cold but I am told that by March it's a whole different ball game. I'm looking forward to the seasonal changes but enjoying the what's happening now stuff too.

9 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

The pier is fairly new, at least the end section is, the last few hundred feet was wiped out by a hurricane a couple of years ago and had to be rebuilt.

I haven't gone for sea trout yet, this time of the year mackerel, trout, things like that aren't very plentiful this far North, the water is too cold but I am told that by March it's a whole different ball game. I'm looking forward to the seasonal changes but enjoying the what's happening now stuff too.

Of course it is too early for some species. I was catching these trout in southern FLA and the Keys this time of the season. That's a long way from S.C. Enjoy pal. Be safe.