Big rain coming 😳

captpierre

10 minutes ago, captpierre said:

Lots of sump pumps working hard.

My sump usually only comes on in the spring with the big melt but it's running pretty good today.

After the downpour finished last evening  we got an inch of snow then more rain then it all froze together and now it's like hard packed sugar and very tough to shovel. 

I've always said once winter starts it'd be better if it stayed below freezing till springtime and do away with all these crazy melt/freeze cycles.

• Like 1

We have that same 1 inch of frozen sugar snow with another 3-4 inches of fluff on top.  Snowblower just rides on top.  Time to spread the salt.  I'm amazed that for the amount of rain we got here the sump pump hole is pretty much empty,  the ground isn't frozen yet and must have absorbed the brunt of it.

It rained from the time I woke up yesterday til I went to bed at 9. Woke up to the sound of hard snow pellets hitting the window.  After about 20 minutes of thawing out the truck, I took a drive to check on the bay and see what damage it did. It was froze over on Thursday . This morning all the new ice was pushed to the south shore by the north winds, but new ice has started again on the north side.

Starting over. Lets hope no snow for a week or so . Might just get out then.

DSCF5140.JPG.85ef8cb5218835398dbdaa7b08801848.JPG

DSCF5143.JPG.4fc6a36b25ed08f3c6aa1f43b012d83b.JPG

DSCF5150.JPG.287fb366d30c1e2dff7d4e8fb28602fd.JPG

DSCF5144.JPG.07da9cd7ba1d9f15aa82d9126c33d4f7.JPG

The Lindsay area also got that mix of rain, ice pellets and then snow.  I have at least an inch of the 'hard stuff' on the driveway still that isn't coming off with a shovel.  I didn't even bother to try and melt the crap off the car today but now that I think of it, I should have even though I don't have to do out tomorrow...  

20 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

May venture out tomorrow. Anyone want to buy my 8” auger, used two times!

I just won one of these on a FB auction page (only cost me $10!) so one never knows.  I have my 6" manual and 8" gas unit so...  who knows.  I may need a new drill 1st LoL!  

Clam plate.jpg

• Like 2

Nice $10 prize. Get the Millwacky fuel and your set.

We tightened up over night. I was like WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. Open yesterday,closed up all the way to the main lake.:Gonefishing::good:

7th Oro looking out to the main lake

DSCF5159.JPG.9bf55c7057db1676ae4867eb52792ab7.JPG

Shanty BAY

DSCF5163.JPG.86d685990b7dc1e3d3aeafa2b9d57b86.JPG

Johnsons beach to Barrie

DSCF5164.JPG.a056208bfff00707ce878cdaf593936c.JPG

DSCF5168.JPG.84ad581126d640fab159780542f803dc.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 9:42 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

No rain here. 

82165318_4026252790734363_35484111413968

82696739_4026252780734364_48198989505363

I once spent 2 weeks in Oulu Finland, 45 K's south of the Artic Circle. I didn't check the weather every morning because -36C feels like -360, I couldn't tell the difference between -36 and the real cold days of -56. Hell shouldn't be fire and brimstone it should be -36C. Heat I can take, those temps are just stupid. No wonder most of you guys, not you, most are hammered drunk. I know most in Oulu Finland are. The 1st move after a shift in the plant there is to shower, have a sauna, shower and then have a shot of Vodka. Almost frozen Vodka no less with a splash of Tar in the shot. Not Tar from a tree Tar from dead Dinosaurs. Brain freeze. Maybe that's how the Finns can mine 24/7/12. 

The Grand River is swollen to the roads here from Caledonia to Lake Erie. Thankfully we don't have ice down stream, those homes would be under water. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

On 1/13/2020 at 11:53 AM, misfish said:

Nice $10 prize. Get the Millwacky fuel and your set.

We tightened up over night. I was like WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. Open yesterday,closed up all the way to the main lake.:Gonefishing::good:

7th Oro looking out to the main lake

DSCF5159.JPG.9bf55c7057db1676ae4867eb52792ab7.JPG

Shanty BAY

DSCF5163.JPG.86d685990b7dc1e3d3aeafa2b9d57b86.JPG

Johnsons beach to Barrie

DSCF5164.JPG.a056208bfff00707ce878cdaf593936c.JPG

DSCF5168.JPG.84ad581126d640fab159780542f803dc.JPG

the good ol boys should be out in their 3500 diesels by the weekend! :P

The Grand River in York is up to the road, that's about 200' from the river, much higher than Monday. I had lunch today in Hammertown with a good buddy that had a snow plow biz, his son in law runs it now but he still plows. I don't know where they get their info but he said Hamilton is getting 20 centimeters of snow this weekend. My weather thing says 20% chance of snow Sunday with temps at +5. That's tricky. He is usually right, but only when it comes to snow. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

The Grand River in York is up to the road, that's about 200' from the river, much higher than Monday. I had lunch today in Hammertown with a good buddy that had a snow plow biz, his son in law runs it now but he still plows. I don't know where they get their info but he said Hamilton is getting 20 centimeters of snow this weekend. My weather thing says 20% chance of snow Sunday with temps at +5. That's tricky. He is usually right, but only when it comes to snow. 

Capture.PNG.25715f3aa44fc41b9aa4faf8c285cded.PNG

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/ontario-wet-snow-colder-temperatures-weekend-colorado-low-threatens-significant-snow-poor-travel-conditions

Arctic Angler.

I need to get a new weather network. Obviously the one I use is not as good as the predictions I have no idea how many miles NW of us here. Thank you. The next time I need to know if I should wear a coat or a jacket or just stay in and finish reading "The Irishman". I'll PM you big guy.

Thanks, Johnny D. 

PS I hope the movie is better than the book, not impressed. Not many admit to crimes in an auto biography, especially murder where there isn't a statute of limitations. Now that the protagonist is dead I'm sure Scorsese took artistic license and I'm sure has "The Irishman" Frank Sheeran played by Robert DeNero pulling a trigger. 

58 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Arctic Angler.

I need to get a new weather network. Obviously the one I use is not as good as the predictions I have no idea how many miles NW of us here. Thank you. The next time I need to know if I should wear a coat or a jacket or just stay in and finish reading "The Irishman". I'll PM you big guy.

Thanks, Johnny D. 

PS I hope the movie is better than the book, not impressed. Not many admit to crimes in an auto biography, especially murder where there isn't a statute of limitations. Now that the protagonist is dead I'm sure Scorsese took artistic license and I'm sure has "The Irishman" Frank Sheeran played by Robert DeNero pulling a trigger. 

Gotta be careful Johnny, a lot of the weather apps can’t pull data from canada. Especially apple  based weather info. I remember having an argument with a buddy about it cause he was convinced his apple weather app was saying it wasn’t going to storm, but when I showed him that the weather was pulling a forecast from Ohio for Peterborough he figured it out

16 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Gotta be careful Johnny, a lot of the weather apps can’t pull data from canada. Especially apple  based weather info. I remember having an argument with a buddy about it cause he was convinced his apple weather app was saying it wasn’t going to storm, but when I showed him that the weather was pulling a forecast from Ohio for Peterborough he figured it out

Are you saying everything you read on the interweb isn't the truth? Oh my say that isn't true. This will be the end of the World as we know it. There is an entire generation born in the 90's who's lives will be forever cynical from the point they learn this on. 

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Are you saying everything you read on the interweb isn't the truth?

LMAO

Today started off mild -6, then it started to drop like a stone by 4pm. Gusty N/W winds are keeping the snow off the bay here . Seen a large blue pool out in the middle, but with temps dropping to -26 over night, that will tighten up quick. Hope that snow fall called for, stays south of 89. Hell it can stay down south as far as Woodyville. 🤣

13 minutes ago, misfish said:

LMAO

Today started off mild -6, then it started to drop like a stone by 4pm. Gusty N/W winds are keeping the snow off the bay here . Seen a large blue pool out in the middle, but with temps dropping to -26 over night, that will tighten up quick. Hope that snow fall called for, stays south of 89. Hell it can stay down south as far as Woodyville. 🤣

Looking south across Lake Erie this afternoon the US side of the lake was getting hammered with snow. I'm sure they didn't mind as this area is called The Southern Tier of Western NY and that is where all the ski resorts are that I actually skied when I was a yunggin'. I have grainy color pics to prove it too! Ski pants came in Bell Bottoms then. 

Thanks Drifter. I'll check it out. Our Weather Channel here in Haldimand still say 20% chance of precip. +6C. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

2 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Looking south across Lake Erie this afternoon the US side of the lake was getting hammered with snow. I'm sure they didn't mind as this area is called The Southern Tier of Western NY and that is where all the ski resorts are that I actually skied when I was a yunggin'. I have grainy color pics to prove it too! Ski pants came in Bell Bottoms then. 

Thanks Drifter. I'll check it out. Our Weather Channel here in Haldimand still say 20% chance of precip. +6C. 

I used to ski Holiday Valley every weekend back when I was a youngun'. ;)

I liked Holiday Valley much better than Kissing Bridge Drifter. It had that big long run that ran the backside of the hills, not steep but a long enough run your legs were on fire at the end. I ended up in the creek on the left side when I thought I was Hans Klammer when we did our imitation of a Downhill race. It was nothing for us to drive to Blue Mountain on a Friday after work and if we found poor conditions like rain we would turn around and drive back south, spend the night at home then drive to Holiday Valley just in time for the Sun to rise. The 1st time we went to Banff only then did we find out what a real deal ski run was. Vermont and Quebec couldn't hold a candle to those runs out west. 

Holiday Valley now has a championship 18 hole golf course on it with condos on the sides of the fairways. Double as ski to and from Ski Chalet's in winter, not this winter unless it's been all man made up to today. 

Heck here's another crazy and unsafe thing we do like ice fishin', downhill skiing. I bet more crazy people die downhill skiing than drown ice fishing. I will add playing hockey and football to that list of possible quadriplegic activities.  Hell, I think it's more hazardous tobogganing down hills surrounded by big trees than ice fishing is. It's sad to think of all the people that will never leave their rooms because it might hurt. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker