My love of the campfire

gordy28

Working on the website has definitely brought back a lot of good memories  - trips, people and really reminded me how much I love being outside.  Fishing trips, kayaking w my daughter, camping with the family and even just spending a night at the cottage

Recent post is about my love of a good campfire.  I am guessing I am not alone in this (especially on an outdoor site)

https://www.northernjacks.com/post/campfire-magic

Cheers

Andrew

2 hours ago, BassMan11 said:

Last summer we moved to the outskirts of the city of Ottawa where we could have a little property. Just over 2 acres with lots of nature around. The first thing I did outside was build a fire pit. I feel the same about a really good camp fire.

That's awesome - I am jealous.  Whenever my wife and I talk about moving either a real wood burning fireplace/stove or like your place a fire pit is number 2 on my wants list (number 1 is a double garage for all of my gear lol)

I've always been a very early riser and usually get up between 2 - 3 AM and there's nothing I enjoyed more that getting up in the middle of the night on a camping trip and building a bonfire and just sitting by myself until the rest of the world woke up.

Took this picture in front of my tent about 3:00 AM one beautiful summer morning..

Cnv0173.jpg

Edited by lew
  • Like 1

Could no agree more!! 

I start camping may 24 and don't stop until after thanksgiving.  

I think I spent about 40+ nights in a tent this past camping season.  Somewhere around there anyways. 

It't not just the fire.  But when your backwoods camping, having to collect all of your wood, and the feeling a accomplishment when you have a big enough pile that you know will last you the entire night! 

Camped a few nights on the west coast this summer.  Right on the beach.   Drift wood piled high as far as the eye could see!  Had enough dry wood in about 6 minutes to last the entire night!! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cast-Away said:

You are pretty amazing Lew, I need at least 7 hours of sleep every night.

Not really amazing, I've just never really needed alot of sleep and consider myself lucky.

I used to do a huge amount of biking for a long time and would often leave my house  @ 2:00 AM and ride 30 - 40 miles just because it was something I really enjoyed. Even now I start most days with a 4 mile hike and usually head out before sunrise.

• Like 1

Nice stories  - its funny but whenever we are going camping I watch the fire ban info obsessively - I would consider bailing on a trip if there was a full ban in effect I think

For our upcoming trip we were deciding between 2 lakes and it was really close.  One of the lakes is in a provincial wilderness park in Manitoba and there is a summer long fire ban and that was a deal breaker for us lol

Cheers

Andrew

Some of the best times of my life involve a campfire and a guitar. 

We have a fire pit in the yard, and a woodstove in the house. Pretty much guaranteed a fire here 75% of the time. From oct-may it would be very odd to NOT have a fire going. 

S. 

I love my campfires too Andrew.

I just got back from an ice bungalow, the kid working for the outfitter was helping us unload our gear into our bungalow, he grabbed something and said "what the hell is this?", I replied, a Turkish bowl, we like our campfires

Another story, a buddy was arriving late to the community ice fishing spot we were at, when he hit the shore and saw all the people out there he texted "where u guys at?", I texted the reply "how many guys do you see with a fire on the ice?", smoke signals were sent out and received 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chris.brock said:

I love my campfires too Andrew.

I just got back from an ice bungalow, the kid working for the outfitter was helping us unload our gear into our bungalow, he grabbed something and said "what the hell is this?", I replied, a Turkish bowl, we like our campfires

Another story, a buddy was arriving late to the community ice fishing spot we were at, when he hit the shore and saw all the people out there he texted "where u guys at?", I texted the reply "how many guys do you see with a fire on the ice?", smoke signals were sent out and received 

That's awesome  I had to google Turkish bowl.  I will remember that trick!