The Myrtle Beach Report 2020 (Chapt. 2)

Big Cliff

Well, we've been here a week now, my cold or whatever it was is pretty much cleared right up and the weather has been quite good. Day time highs have been in the mid to high teens and into the low 20s, so far we've only had one day where rain has interfered with the fishing and that was only for a few hours. (not a single snow flake or a trace of  ice) 😊

Our place isn't huge or fancy, it's really more like a cottage than anything, small but functional, the big advantage is I can walk out my door and be on the pier in less than 5 minutes, it's clean, quiet, and safe.

This is a slow time of the year for this area both for fishing and tourism, the slow tourism is a good thing because nothing is crowded, I don't mind the slow fishing, there's plenty to catch if you aren't looking for trophies. Our main target is whitings, man they are  so delicious. They don't get very big, at least the ones we are catching aren't, a 12" whiting would be considered WOW, most of the ones we keep would be in the 8-10" range but they are super easy to clean and worth the effort. If we quit eating them all the time I might even be able to bring some fillets home with me.

Sitting on the pier watching the sun rise over the ocean or relaxing in the sun, telling jokes (and a few lies) with people from all over and from every walk of life.... well catching fish is just a bonus. It's a very social thing and there is always something new and interesting going on. So far we've caught crokers, puffer fish, whitings, spider crabs, blue crabs, sharks, oh and a slick and a skate (looks like a sting ray and fights like it's 10 times as big as it is).

Well a new day begins, time to get my ass into gear and see what sort of fish are biting today. I'll try to get a few pictures to post in the next few days.

Tight lines and stay safe!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Cliff said:

Well, we've been here a week now, my cold or whatever it was is pretty much cleared right up and the weather has been quite good. Day time highs have been in the mid to high teens and into the low 20s, so far we've only had one day where rain has interfered with the fishing and that was only for a few hours. (not a single snow flake or a trace of  ice) 😊

Our place isn't huge or fancy, it's really more like a cottage than anything, small but functional, the big advantage is I can walk out my door and be on the pier in less than 5 minutes, it's clean, quiet, and safe.

This is a slow time of the year for this area both for fishing and tourism, the slow tourism is a good thing because nothing is crowded, I don't mind the slow fishing, there's plenty to catch if you aren't looking for trophies. Our main target is whitings, man they are  so delicious. They don't get very big, at least the ones we are catching aren't, a 12" whiting would be considered WOW, most of the ones we keep would be in the 8-10" range but they are super easy to clean and worth the effort. If we quit eating them all the time I might even be able to bring some fillets home with me.

Sitting on the pier watching the sun rise over the ocean or relaxing in the sun, telling jokes (and a few lies) with people from all over and from every walk of life.... well catching fish is just a bonus. It's a very social thing and there is always something new and interesting going on. So far we've caught crokers, puffer fish, whitings, spider crabs, blue crabs, sharks, oh and a slick and a skate (looks like a sting ray and fights like it's 10 times as big as it is).

Well a new day begins, time to get my ass into gear and see what sort of fish are biting today. I'll try to get a few pictures to post in the next few days.

Tight lines and stay safe!

Looks like someone is having fun. Enjoy, if anyone deserves it, it’s you. 

• Like 2