Sketchy ice - sketchy situation

AKRISONER

yeah, I think you have to go in yourself

not to encourage people to take chances, but I was totally soaked and wet, and in and out of the water for 40 minutes in -12C trying to get my snowmobile out before I felt messed up and had to seek shelter, so if you keep a level head it's not like the cold water kills you instantly 

although after that incident I didn't feel warm and normal until 3 days later, lol

that was in a boy o bouy 1 piece, I wore it out, now I have a Mustang 1 piece, survival suits are a good investment IMO

Edited by chris.brock
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

yeah, I think you have to go in yourself

not to encourage people to take chances, but I was totally soaked and wet, and in and out of the water for 40 minutes in -12C trying to get my snowmobile out before I felt messed up and had to seek shelter, so if you keep a level head it's not like the cold water kills you instantly 

although after that incident I didn't feel warm and normal until 3 days later, lol

that was in a boy o bouy 1 piece, I wore it out, now I have a Mustang 1 piece, survival suits are a good investment IMO

Ppphhhhffft.  can't you just lift the bravo out with one hand bud? 

18 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

It begs the question as well as to why do people drive cars on a track at 300 MPH? Climb mountains, wind surf on Lake Erie in ice cold water in November and December when the winds are 130KPH, and, and, and? If that windsurfer or mountain climber needs to be rescued a discussion as far as who pays may start. Actually back country downhill skiers and snow boarders are being charged for rescues out west now depending on circumstances. That topic comes up here once in a while. 

I like to compare my ice fishing shenanigans to the guys trying triple back flips on dirtbikes....

I don't do it for a fish.  I would never risk my life for a fish.    If a fish where to be held a gunpoint during a bank robbery, I would not jump in front of a bullet for it.  

1 hour ago, NAW said:

I like to compare my ice fishing shenanigans to the guys trying triple back flips on dirtbikes....

I don't do it for a fish.  I would never risk my life for a fish.    If a fish where to be held a gunpoint during a bank robbery, I would not jump in front of a bullet for it.  

One could try to rob a bank with the business end of a Swordfish, no? One need not do back flips on a bike to consider riding to be hazardous at some point. I've come close too many times riding to decide not to tempt fate any longer and stuck the bike in the back corner of the garage. No back flips required. I'm laffing out load here. 

Glad you're alright. I went for a Simcoe swim  as a teen 30+ years ago in gear that should have sunk me like an anchor. To this day the only thing I can think of that allowed me to live another day was adrenaline. Although I still get out on the ice it's with caution leading the way and I always wear a float suit of some sort.

Purchased a couple of Fladen one piece(available in a 2 PC) suits years ago. Ordered them from a website in the UK. Each suit was 75 British pounds and shipping was whatever but the final cost per suit was approx $240 Canadian. 

These suits are used for work on the high seas . They're lightweight, offer a full range of motion and reasonably warm. Good value for money . 

Still have the suit but have moved on to a Promax snowmobile suit with floatation. A set of coat and bibs will run you about $500 but along with the safety aspect of floatation  they are designed for riding and therefore offer all the cold weather benefits as well. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moxie said:

Glad you're alright. I went for a Simcoe swim  as a teen 30+ years ago in gear that should have sunk me like an anchor. To this day the only thing I can think of that allowed me to live another day was adrenaline. Although I still get out on the ice it's with caution leading the way and I always wear a float suit of some sort.

Purchased a couple of Fladen one piece(available in a 2 PC) suits years ago. Ordered them from a website in the UK. Each suit was 75 British pounds and shipping was whatever but the final cost per suit was approx $240 Canadian. 

These suits are used for work on the high seas . They're lightweight, offer a full range of motion and reasonably warm. Good value for money . 

Still have the suit but have moved on to a Promax snowmobile suit with floatation. A set of coat and bibs will run you about $500 but along with the safety aspect of floatation  they are designed for riding and therefore offer all the cold weather benefits as well. 

I ended up going with a salus. I’m praying it’s warm enough! Haven’t got a chance to test it out yet. Definitely wanted something coast guard approved for riding in the boat in the fall

It would be prudent to jump in the water in a controlled environment and test new suits. The best test would be now rather than June. I've gone under the ice twice at work when I was getting the experience part of my motto below. It hurts and is frightening all at the same time. 

• Like 1

glad to hear it worked out. Not sure I want to "test" my ability to get out. I worry the cold shock from the initial plunge would do my heart in. Every year when i wait til October to bring in the swim platform (gotta get under it to unhook the anchor) I think I am done for. This past year I wore a lifejacket doing it so they would at least find my corpse

I have developed this very odd reaction to cold in the past 4 or 5 years.  And it's getting worse and worse.  I get a really nasty rash that swells up and get all blotchy and puffy.   I started noticing it while out winter running.  Then it started happening running the boat in early and late seasons with cold water splashing my face...   Now if I swim in cold water, my entire body gets this rash and it's quite nasty. 

I think if I fell through, I would puff up and explode inside my floater suite.   

Joking about the ladder obviously, but not about the rash.  I would literally be a huge amount of pain for hours after going through for the rash alone. 

10 hours ago, NAW said:

I have developed this very odd reaction to cold in the past 4 or 5 years.  And it's getting worse and worse.  I get a really nasty rash that swells up and get all blotchy and puffy.   I started noticing it while out winter running.  Then it started happening running the boat in early and late seasons with cold water splashing my face...   Now if I swim in cold water, my entire body gets this rash and it's quite nasty. 

I think if I fell through, I would puff up and explode inside my floater suite.   

Joking about the ladder obviously, but not about the rash.  I would literally be a huge amount of pain for hours after going through for the rash alone. 

My 11 year old nephew also has this. It’s an allergy to the cold. He breaks out in hives if his skin is too exposed for too long. Sucks you’ve developed it later in life.

an update on my suit situation for anyone who cares (probably no one)

I ended up going with a Salus Odysee and outright, from Mustang, to nautilus/helly hansen, striker and FXR, this suit hands DOWN is the best suit IMO that I have seen/worn. Waterproof pockets, zipped fleece chest pockets, an internal vest for taking your arms out when its warm, a built in extraction harness, double cinched arm cuffs the list of features are nuts and the best feature of all?

It was made in canada but $100 cheaper than the mustang and they 1 day fedexed it to me for free. I would highly highly highly recommend these suits to anyone in the market for one. Holy cow im actually blown away.

Edited by AKRISONER

Good call man. 

I ran a Salus endurance class which I think is one or 2  levels below the Odysee. 

They are amazing.  

I ran it for 8 years then sold it to a friend. 

I went though last year early season.  but the double cuffs on the ankles and wrists..  He bounced out and didn't even get wet.  Kept fishing as if nothing happened....  That's an 8 year old suite. 

I've fished it in the pouring rain and not got wet inside the suite at all! 

You will not regret it. 

1 hour ago, NAW said:

Good call man. 

I ran a Salus endurance class which I think is one or 2  levels below the Odysee. 

They are amazing.  

I ran it for 8 years then sold it to a friend. 

I went though last year early season.  but the double cuffs on the ankles and wrists..  He bounced out and didn't even get wet.  Kept fishing as if nothing happened....  That's an 8 year old suite. 

I've fished it in the pouring rain and not got wet inside the suite at all! 

You will not regret it. 

had to share because its rare these days when you buy something that it exceeds expectations especially to the point that I am blown away. This thing is a massive upgrade over my nautilus and I was concerned that I couldnt get one of that old quality anymore and now ive got a suit that I am even far more happier with. Hope I never end up needing the floatation component of it again!

• Like 2

That was one scary read and I am glad that you all made it home safe and sound my friend. I will never go ice fishing ever since I have been confined to a wheelchair. Ice can be really thick but if there is an air pocket, you never know what could happen.

• Thanks 1