The Myrtle Beach Report 2020

Big Cliff

I had been sick since about a week before Christmas, nothing serious just a cold that didn't want to let up so I wasn't feeling quite up to snuff. Being the stubborn old fool that I am and the fact that the weather report was calling for freezing rain starting on Dec. 29/30, we left Lindsay a couple of days ahead of schedule. The afternoon of Dec. 28 we loaded up the car and headed out, the plan was to get far enough South before the storm hit that we'd miss the freezing part of the storm, turned out to be a good idea!

I had decided that I wanted to cross at Gananoque, I realize it isn't the shortest route but I find it to be the easiest, the border crossing is always quick and a I like traveling I 81, it's a nice highway and you don't seem to get as much snow as you would coming  down through Buffalo. We spent our first night in Gananoque, it's only 2 1/2 hours from home but it meant we could be up early and cross the border and get a good day traveling in.

Dec. 29th, up early and across the border by 6:30 am, beautiful morning, sun shining, no traffic, set the cruse control for 5mph over the limit....By 10:00 am the rain started, I don't think I have ever seen it rain so hard, it was like driving through a car wash but it wasn't freezing. I just slowed down and made sure I watched out for the other guy. We pulled into Winchester VA (I go that route rather than going through Washington) about 4:30 that afternoon and I was exhausted, fighting this bug and driving through hours of heavy rain; all I wanted to do at that point was crawl into bed and sleep. We found a room right at the exit, filled up with fuel, grabbed a light supper and I'm sure I was asleep by 6.

Dec. 30, up had breakfast and on the road by 6:30 am. Cut over and picked up I 95 for the last leg of our journey. The weather had cleared considerably, a little fog, the odd shower here and there but pretty good driving for the most part, by 1:30 we were in Myrtle Beach. Our reservation wasn't until Jan 1 and our unit wasn't ready yet so they found us a unit two doors down for the night (that's just the way they are down here).

Dec. 31, by noon they had everything done and we moved in, did our shopping and got settled.

(to be continued it's time to get dressed and head to the pier 🙂

Edited by Big Cliff
  • Like 4