Gull lake ice fishing

gino

Hey guy, I was wondering if there's anyone fishing Gull lake in the winter and if someone went with Gull Lake Hut Rentals and what was the experience you had with that operator. Thinking about going that way for a change.

Thanks!

Gino

Edited by gino

3 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

A couple years ago we went because Simcoe was still open.  Got there, the Hut Op pointed to the huts and said down there, never saw him after that, no fish either.  Won't ever go back there.

Hmmm...that's not good🤔🤔

I've fished gull a fair bit, but I go on my own, and have my own machine to travel the lake. I can't say anything about the operator, but he is just in miners bay, within walking distance of the parking area. 

Theres some decent lakers in there, but most are small. You get the odd whitie, and herring cruise through fairly regularly. Also has ling. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sinker said:

I've fished gull a fair bit, but I go on my own, and have my own machine to travel the lake. I can't say anything about the operator, but he is just in miners bay, within walking distance of the parking area. 

Theres some decent lakers in there, but most are small. You get the odd whitie, and herring cruise through fairly regularly. Also has ling. 

Thanks for reply. 👍

• Like 1

With Simcoe not freezing, Gull is going to get pounded this year. 

There are a lot of people asking a lot of questions about it online right now. 

I've never fished there so I can't answer your questions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chris.brock said:

Gull gets hammered in the winter, Miner's Bay especially, the lake has fallen on hard times, I'd look elsewhere 

Fished there about 4 years ago and 6 or 7 guys in group in a few huts all skunked.  We did get a sled ride out vs being told to walk...  

• Haha 1

Thanks for the replies,  guys. With this mild weather still lingering in S Ontario, I had to see what other options I have. Looks like N is the way to go. Hopefully,  soon we'll have some good ice on Simcoe.

Cheers!

a little tidbit about Gull for whoever's interested-

there's an annual lake trout ice derby on there we've fished for a long time, 12 years ago and earlier, the winning fish would always be 8 to 15 pounds, the last 12 years there's only been 1 fish (caught by me, yeah I'm tooting my own horn, lol) over the slot, a 6.5 pounder, all the other derby entries are key chain sized, under the slot lakers

it's a pretty lake and it's the closest of the pretty Haliburton lakes to the GTA, with easy access and guys posting stuff online about Gull, and lake trout aren't the most prolific species when the population is under heavy fire, hence Gull's current situation 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

We Booked a 6 man hut with 4 guys because the 6 man hut was still available. After an hour of fishing, he sent his worker over to collect our money. 10 mins after that, he moved us to a smaller hut and was trying to say that I lied to him about how many guys. (He understood me clearly) If he would have told us he had a bigger group coming, we would have happily moved. He then tried to blame us for damaged styrofoam in the hut. He was rude and didn’t inform us that we had to walk out to our hut. Will never go back and would recommend anyone else not to waste there going time and money going there. If it wasn’t for our 3 hour drive to get there, we would have went home after our first encounter with there head of staff. Everyone in our group has been ice fishing for years and this was the worst operator we have ever had to deal with. 

Ps. The guys fishing beside us were using pan-optics and only marked one fish in two days.

Dont waste your time and money with Gull Lake Hut Rentals or The Narrows Hut Rentals 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lol this guy booked a 4 man hut. Calls a week later and says he has and extra guy and ask if I have a 6 man . So of course I think there’s 5 guys coming.. my help asks him if he booked a 6 man when walking on the ice and he says ya. After I sent my helper to collect from them he comes back and tells me there’s only four guys in the hut. ( We have a five head min charge for a 6 man)  so obviously I start thinking there’s another group of 5 guys coming. Hense why I moved them.. while closing the door i noticed a big piece of styrofoam missing from the wall. I asked how it happened and he said “we didn’t do it” (it’s a brand new hut) meanwhile there’s a piece of styrofoam sitting on the floor at the edge of the hole. Not only that one of them wore ice cleats in the hut damaging the floor as well.  These guys did more damage than money they paid…. 

Is this where the all Karen’s come to post?? 
lol

he didn’t hold my hand to the hut 500ft away that I pointed out for him to got to that was heated and ready to go… 

I didn’t catch any fish …. 

he made noise with a chainsaw and used a 4 four wheeler while just getting the huts out… 

give me a break…..