NF - Venison summer sausage

iFish4real

• 2 weeks later...

If Fisherman and misfish are giving you advice I reckon it will be right on the money.  BUT............

It's not that hard to make it yourself, and you can be sure that what you put into the sausage mix is what you are eating....Even a hand grinder can cut up your meat, and you can mix it by hand, and it is possible (but sub-optimal) to stuff the casings by hand.  Buying an inexpensive electric grinder, with sausage stuffing tubes, will give you years of use if you are gentle with it, and now you can make your own burgers, fresh sausages (cased and country style), pepperettes, salami, and so on.  Hi Mountain makes decent kits if you go that route, or you can buy all of the supplies from Halford's in Edmonton.

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/food-equipment-and-supply

Doug

• Like 1

X2. 
Over the last few years, I’ve picked up an electric grinder, a 12lb meat mixer, sausage stuffer and a burger press attachment for the stuffer. Made all kinds of stuff with this set up and like Doug said I know exactly what I’m eating; plus it’s fun throwing in your own touch into the batch of whatever. Here’s some summer sausage ready for the smoker. Like I said it’s fun and should have taken more pics of the process. 
EB066A4E-AD9C-424C-817F-9E0B04A10A2A.jpeg.defa1edc303ccfd34dc36689362532b5.jpeg

Dan. 

I use the coarse plate for grinding the meat, and no plate or blade for stuffing, just the sausage attachment.

I did have one batch of summer sausage that was too fine a consistency, it was more like liverwurst.  That one if memory serves me I used the medium plate and the binder/cure was really sticky - the meat hung on to my fingers like balls of snot.  It tasted fine, but the consistency wasn't right.  That one was Canada Goose breasts I am pretty sure.

The meat has to be properly prepared for the grinder as well.  If the grinder has to work too hard you will end up with a finer grind.

HTH

31 minutes ago, DanD said:

X2. 
Over the last few years, I’ve picked up an electric grinder, a 12lb meat mixer, sausage stuffer and a burger press attachment for the stuffer. Made all kinds of stuff with this set up and like Doug said I know exactly what I’m eating; plus it’s fun throwing in your own touch into the batch of whatever. Here’s some summer sausage ready for the smoker. Like I said it’s fun and should have taken more pics of the process. 
EB066A4E-AD9C-424C-817F-9E0B04A10A2A.jpeg.defa1edc303ccfd34dc36689362532b5.jpeg

Dan. 

Just before I hang mine.

E87F58B0-E68F-4033-9315-ACD4AC8832A3.jpeg

I went to Country Meat Cuts but they don't do summer sausages. They let me try their pepperetes so I dropped off 28lb to be turned into that.

I used to make sausage at home in the past so, I bought casings from them and made 2 batches from the rest of the meat.

I have yet to try making salami, maybe next season.

IMG_20200109_185840.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, iFish4real said:

I went to Country Meat Cuts but they don't do summer sausages. They let me try their pepperetes so I dropped off 28lb to be turned into that.

I used to make sausage at home in the past so, I bought casings from them and made 2 batches from the rest of the meat.

I have yet to try making salami, maybe next season.

IMG_20200109_185840.jpg

Those are very good looking sausages.  If you can make a fresh sausage that well, you can for sure make salami, summer sausages, etc etc.

Doug

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

back to ketchenany............why do you use the string bags on those ones?

Doug

It’s elastic netting, helps compress the meat and release any air bubbles as they cure. These are called supressate. Pork butt/shoulder ground  and mixed by hand. After a week of hanging I put them under weight, again to compress them and after a week hang again. They come flat when done.
The casing are synthetic.

January or February  is the time to make them. Temperature/location is very important in the curing process. I do about 30 a year.  Italian tradition from the south. I’m not southern! My wife is.

. Under the front stairs I have a small space where I keep  my wine. I hang them on the ceiling. I control the  temperature with my door or the outside vent. I have a thermometer and keep the temperature in the high 40s to Very low 50s. Now it’s at 49F. I can drop it at will.

They are a piece of work to make. Packing is of outmost importance. We have manual machine and one person controls how tight they are packed, avoiding any air spaces. If not they will rot.

We haven’t lost one yet. 
I have friends that make hundreds of them. A family tradition we carry on from our parents. Our kids have no interest but eat them at will. 

12 hours ago, misfish said:

What kind of bird you got Dan ?

He's a Cockatiel. I guess they are originally from Australia, so I named him Auzzie. He'll be 19 years old this October. Told my wife I was getting a bird; I didn't tell her that Cockatiels have a 25-30 year life expectancy. LOL

Auzzie.jpg.cb464cc0cc9455b821f695e6efe102e6.jpg

Dan

• Like 1