Trolling Motor Battery Location

Musky Plug

My Alumacraft Magnum 165 Tiller is 20 years old. My two trolling motor batteries sit in a compartment in the middle of the hull up front, I've had no ride issues at all, and, honestly, don't know where I would even fit them in the back. I would agree with the poster who said that the manufacturers of good boats such as Alumacraft, Lund, and Crestliner likely put serious thought into all this.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 3:45 PM, Musky Plug said:

Not necessarily looking at them the casting deck extends a little to make a sort of compartment without a face and in between is a compartment with a lid.

image.png.43665b7f1a09e2b9394b805e9f1b7ced.png

I’d absolutely use those openings.  It’s basically unused space and in a location that likely won’t unbalance you boat much.  I’d just stuff the batteries under there in the spring without doing any wiring and take it for a good rip.  If it seems ok wire away.

1 hour ago, porkpie said:

I’d absolutely use those openings.  It’s basically unused space and in a location that likely won’t unbalance you boat much.  I’d just stuff the batteries under there in the spring without doing any wiring and take it for a good rip.  If it seems ok wire away.

I'd put them on the left side to help balance the weight of the driver when running/trolling solo.

If you put them on the same side the boat will list badly with only one person on board.

Anything else you store down there will end up soaked if it rains or you take a good splash over the side while running down the lake, definitely don't put your charger down there if you don't want to constantly be replacing it. Batteries on the other hand aren't affected by mould or mildew or generally damp conditions that will be found in the lowest point of your boat. Like I said in my earlier post, there's a reason why manufacturers put the batteries there.

4 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I'd put them on the left side to help balance the weight of the driver when running/trolling solo.

If you put them on the same side the boat will list badly with only one person on board.

True if it's a tiny boat.  A larger boat is pretty much unaffected unless the solo driver weighs 400+ lbs. What happens when you bring a buddy out fishing? Move the batteries around some more? 

13 hours ago, jjcanoe said:

True if it's a tiny boat.  A larger boat is pretty much unaffected unless the solo driver weighs 400+ lbs. What happens when you bring a buddy out fishing? Move the batteries around some more? 

My problem is my doggo likes to chill under the console.

He adds another 65#'s the to drivers side.

I put my tackle bag on the other side to balance out the mutt.  :)

If the OP were to put the 120#+ of batteries on the console side it would list badly.

It would not be as bad if it were on the other side even with a passenger.

Alternatively the batteries could be split between the two locations.

1795667_951060508253622_7777634742172951

Edited by DRIFTER_016

19 hours ago, jjcanoe said:

Anything else you store down there will end up soaked if it rains or you take a good splash over the side while running down the lake, definitely don't put your charger down there if you don't want to constantly be replacing it. Batteries on the other hand aren't affected by mould or mildew or generally damp conditions that will be found in the lowest point of your boat. Like I said in my earlier post, there's a reason why manufacturers put the batteries there.

There is an actual compartment with a lid between those spaces that I intended to put the charger in. 

7 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

My problem is my doggo likes to chill under the console.

He adds another 65#'s the to drivers side.

I put my tackle bag on the other side to balance out the mutt.  :)

If the OP were to put the 120#+ of batteries on the console side it would list badly.

It would not be as bad if it were on the other side even with a passenger.

Alternatively the batteries could be split between the two locations.

If it does I can just throw my tackle bag there to balance out the weight.