Trolling Motor Battery Location

Musky Plug

Hey Guys, 

Hope everyone had a fun and safe holidays. As I posted in another thread I started, I recently purchased at new boat. 1650 crestliner fishhawk. I'm looking for advise on the best place to put the trolling motor batteries. I have a 24v terrova and the current system is only a 12v power drive . The battery is in the small compartment closest to the front of the boat, but 2 batteries and a charger won't fit there. There is a bigger compartment behind that would fit everything but I'm worried it might weigh the bow down to much. In the main area of the boat there are to areas that are open for the passenger and drivers feet and there's a small compartment in the centre. Should I put the batteries in the foot space and the charger in the middle compartment or everything the big compartment near the bow? I put a link to pics of the same boat so every one can get a better idea. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. 

http://www.iowafallsmarine.com/2005FishHawk.html

11 minutes ago, David Chong said:

Having owned about 12 different boats over the years, in my opinion, keeping the the trolling motor batteries as close to the back of the boat the better! This allows for the best performance for the boat!

That didn't work in my case.

The batteries and charger were fine in the back until I swapped out the 2 stroke for a heavier 4 stroke.

I had to move the TM batteries to the front livewell to get the boat to balance right.

Before I moved them a wall of water would come over the transom when coming off step due to it sitting too low in the back with the extra weight of the new 4 stroke engine.

Before I move the 2 TM batteries forward the transom was 3-4" lower in the water than it is now.

11951497_1219006711458999_65686710927415

I agree with above about rear placement if possible. That said, I have a 1650 Lund Sendero. 3 hatches up front, the forward one only allowed for a single battery. When I made the switch to a 24v Terrova I put both batteries in the middle of the larger comparment, unfortunately they are right under the pedestal and not easily reached. I have a 90hp 4 stroke and don't feel performance is greatly effected...Though I've never had them in the rear...Cause there's no rear compartment!

6 hours ago, David Chong said:

keeping the the trolling motor batteries as close to the back of the boat the better! This allows for the best performance for the boat!

3 hours ago, Pigeontroller said:

I agree with above about rear placement if possible. That said, I have a 1650 Lund Sendero. 3 hatches up front, the forward one only allowed for a single battery. When I made the switch to a 24v Terrova I put both batteries in the middle of the larger comparment, unfortunately they are right under the pedestal and not easily reached. I have a 90hp 4 stroke and don't feel performance is greatly effected...Though I've never had them in the rear...Cause there's no rear compartment!

I also read about this however, underneath the rear bench is the gas tank which is 68L. It is not located in the floor of the boat, as in some other brands. Would that be too much weight with what would be three batteries ( 2 trolling motor and 1 crank) and the charger weighing the back of the boat down? 

17 minutes ago, Pigeontroller said:

My Lund has the same set up, 68 L tank in the rear bench. I was thinking i wouldn't want more weight back there when fishing...with the 90 4 stroke weighing close to 400 lbs. If there's two adult males back there....

Yes, this is the same scenario I'm in. Im concerned that the wight of the batteries to the front, which would be in front of the live well, as well as the weight of the live well with water and fish may weigh the bow down to much. That's why I was thinking the foot area underneath the casting deck for the driver and passenger? Which would be behind live well more to the middle of the boat. 

Edited by Musky Plug

Have you run this boat with current setup. Did it feel front end light.

Think I would temporary install battery's maybe just on floor near the permanent location just to get  idea.

Another thing get some of those mid western walleye sites. Michigan , Wisconsin.  

Here's some images of a boat like mine. It shows where the factory placement of the batteries is.

7s.jpg.e9c745fde3ec515baa561a038d909cfe.jpg

13s.jpg.1a73c674b9a4e35d074316608f116252.jpg

And this image shows where I moved my TM batts to and the location of the fuel tank.

5s.jpg.ccdc78be392c916c0d9d4cb44ec0549c.jpg

I have the back batt compartment plumbed for an auxiliary fuel tank now that gets used on long distance trips to the East Arm of Great Slave Lake.

The factory tank is 18 gallons and runs sid to side and the aux tank adds another 12 gallons. I can switch between the two with a valve at the back of the boat.

I still have the rear livewell to use if needed.

Every boat has its own  C   of G depending on engine weight, fuel tanks, weight distribution etc etc. It is important that you find this sweet spot for your boat for safety' s sake , boat performance and your comfort. Take your time and experiment

17 hours ago, Pigeontroller said:

Seems like a good location. Wouldn't want them there on my boat because id be looking at them....

Not necessarily looking at them the casting deck extends a little to make a sort of compartment without a face and in between is a compartment with a lid.

image.png.43665b7f1a09e2b9394b805e9f1b7ced.png

Edited by Musky Plug

10 hours ago, Garnet said:

Have you run this boat with current setup. Did it feel front end light.

Think I would temporary install battery's maybe just on floor near the permanent location just to get  idea.

Another thing get some of those mid western walleye sites. Michigan , Wisconsin.  

No I haven't run it and yes thats what I think I might do either that or do the sandbag idea. 

I will have a look at those sites. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Here's some images of a boat like mine. It shows where the factory placement of the batteries is.

7s.jpg.e9c745fde3ec515baa561a038d909cfe.jpg

13s.jpg.1a73c674b9a4e35d074316608f116252.jpg

And this image shows where I moved my TM batts to and the location of the fuel tank.

5s.jpg.ccdc78be392c916c0d9d4cb44ec0549c.jpg

I have the back batt compartment plumbed for an auxiliary fuel tank now that gets used on long distance trips to the East Arm of Great Slave Lake.

The factory tank is 18 gallons and runs sid to side and the aux tank adds another 12 gallons. I can switch between the two with a valve at the back of the boat.

I still have the rear livewell to use if needed.

Yes, I'm looking at kind of a similar idea. 

1 hour ago, wkrp said:

Every boat has its own  C   of G depending on engine weight, fuel tanks, weight distribution etc etc. It is important that you find this sweet spot for your boat for safety' s sake , boat performance and your comfort. Take your time and experiment

Yes, that's what I'm worried about. I did this in my old tin boat and put everything up front and the bow sat Real low in the water. Had to move them to the almost the middle of the boat. 

The engine is approx 330ish lbs if I remember correctly. Along with a tank of gas, someone fishing, 3 batteries (1 crank) and a charger and whatever other things end up back there, I think might be a little to heavy for that boat?

1 hour ago, Musky Plug said:

Yes, that's what I'm worried about. I did this in my old tin boat and put everything up front and the bow sat Real low in the water. Had to move them to the almost the middle of the boat. 

The engine is approx 330ish lbs if I remember correctly. Along with a tank of gas, someone fishing, 3 batteries (1 crank) and a charger and whatever other things end up back there, I think might be a little to heavy for that boat?

I'd want to run the boat in a bunch of conditions before i did anything permanently. 

S. 

I've got a Crestliner 1700 Vision, 2 batteries up front in the battery storage area dead center of the keel and the charger is under the console. That spot is designed for the batteries I wouldn't put them anywhere else. Move your charger, it needs air since it will get hot when doing it's job. Don't over think things! Too much weight at the back will affect your ride, I can get 45mph with my setup with a 115 4 stroke.

Believe it or not, boat manufacturers put thought into this process and run plenty of tests for things just like this. (Weight distribution). It's not an 40 year old tin boat, it's a new boat, go with what your manufacturer recommends. 

Edited by jjcanoe
Addition
  • Like 2