ReBuild pontoon console or buy one?

Raycaster

I have a small 16' pontoon great for fishing but the console really is looking junky. I rebuilt it a few years ago wrapping it in 3/16 white plastic to give it a clean look but didnt fool too many people.

I can build any design with wood but the finish is the problem. Painting, vinyl or carpet just looks ...  

I would buy a console but the dimensions have to match for the steering cable length and angle. Didnt see any Canadian suppliers that had anything under $1000 either for just a basic square box. 

The real question is probably the cost of DIY fibreglass. All the youtube fibreglass videos are tempting but on my first look the materials add up quick too! Anyone here had success fibreglassing wood?

Hitting boat graveyards looking for consoles is another option.

Just looking for options in the $500 range for a simple "non-hack" console.

Any ideas appreciated.

Just an idea, have no idea what the cost would be.  How about an aluminum console, no rot degradation.   Take the measurements and a diagram with angles and cut outs required to a metal shop. Open edges can be trimmed with self stick piping. They could give you a quote.

• Like 1

Why don't you talk to a couple of boat dealers who sell pontoon boats and ask about ordering a console? You'll have to wait for it to be shipped from the factory (most likely mixed in among a shipment of boats) but that would be the easiest way of getting something that's rotomolded. No idea on cost, but obviously the more intricate the console, the bigger the price tag. January - March is boat show season, so that might be the best way to speak to a bunch of different dealers in a short time.

Or just build one from marine plywood. Cost-wise, that's going to be the cheapest way to go by far. 

Edited by craigdritchie

If you live near the border crossing at Thousand Island, you could order what you want and have it sent to Wellesley island bldg supply,(It's the Homehardware building supply )10 min south of border crossing, they charge you $5.00 cdn for handling .I've ordered things and picked them up there several times.

Perfect, just have to match size, awesome, cant complain about price either.

Wondering how much to replace steering cable if console doesnt match up? Even if its a couple hundred I'd still be in budget if I grabbed one of the above amazon "economical" consoles.

Edited by Raycaster

48 minutes ago, Raycaster said:

Perfect, just have to match size, awesome, cant complain about price either.

Wondering how much to replace steering cable if console doesnt match up? Even if its a couple hundred I'd still be in budget if I grabbed one of the above amazon "economical" consoles.

Google boat steering cable, they have quite a number of them.  Some cables have a built in fudge factor for adjustments, you might not need a new one.