Advice Needed

Loonietoon

I love my Honda Pilot. 

But it's an '06, and so Ive been looking for a direct replacement.   At your price point, look in to a used Pilot.  Also the Chevy Traverse are a comfy 7 seater.  Those would be my top 2 in that price range.

If you want to go new and finance is, i'd look at the Hyundia Palicade.  Love the look and feel of them. 

Mazda C8 are cramped in the 3rd row.

Mitzubishi Outander feel sheep and are also cramped in the back.

Those are the ones I test drove...

Good luck! 

• Like 1

Hyundai Sante Fe might be worth checking out. They have an XL model that has a V6 with AWD. My gf was looking at buying that but ended up going with the smaller none XL version. Also Ford explorers are nice. A family member has been looking at them, they are nice ride with decent features for a not bad price. Both might be tad over the budget you suggested. I would try looking in the Toronto area, more dealers and you are able to knock dealers down a bit. 

5 hours ago, NAW said:

I love my Honda Pilot. 

But it's an '06, and so Ive been looking for a direct replacement.   At your price point, look in to a used Pilot.  Also the Chevy Traverse are a comfy 7 seater.  Those would be my top 2 in that price range.

If you want to go new and finance is, i'd look at the Hyundia Palicade.  Love the look and feel of them. 

Mazda C8 are cramped in the 3rd row.

Mitzubishi Outander feel sheep and are also cramped in the back.

Those are the ones I test drove...

Good luck! 

'05 Pilot here.

Been a great vehicle. Just keep up an maintenance and it will do you well.

Just got home last night from a month long 11,000km round trip to London.

No issues. :)

PS. avoid bowtie branded vehicles. Have heard nothing but horror stories about the Traverse.

That's a tricky price point Kelvin, especially 6cyl, 7 pass, AWD. Maybe she should ask herself the question as to what kind of driving she does and what her real needs are. If those are hard wants she is going to be restricted to something with well over 100K . If she is OK with 4 cyl, 5 pass., then it opens up a different group of options. Toyota Rav 4, Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, Nissan Rogue. If she is going to stick to her wants then stay away from Ford Explorer and pretty much any GM.

Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander perhaps Jeep Grand Cherokee , but she will be buying 6+ years old. PM me if you want some specifics.

Pilot or highlander.  Going to be older or high km though for that price point.  I was just looking at them because while reliable, our Venza is boring as can be.  I love the 2015 and older pilots, but even then you can spend close to 30k and they’ll still have closer to 60- 100km on them depending on how optioned.  You get the picture.  While I’m a fan of my F150 and it’s been good to me, I don’t have much love for the domestic full size SUV’s and I have many hours behind the wheel of them.  My oldest boy  just had someone write off his civic for him as well, 5 days before Christmas.  I just did that dance but we replaced it with another civic. 

Edited by porkpie

Tough price point to find a decent SUV that is not close to being clapped out. A decent used Caravan would be her best bet in all honesty. They are decent and are cheap to repair/maintain. A Pilot or Highlander at that price would be pretty old. Pilots need to have timing belts done so be wary on the service history. PM me if you want some ideas, I’m a Finance Manager at a Ford dealer in Burlington. Ive ran s used car lot and can help guide you through any pitfalls. 

3 hours ago, Loonietoon said:

Thanks for all in info guys, Daughter go a lead on a 2015 Honda Pilot with 90km on it and neighbour will let her have it for $17500 certified as his wife wants a new vehicle. Think she is going for it and Dad helping out..... Gees  

That’s a bargain!!

15 hours ago, Loonietoon said:

Thanks for all in info guys, Daughter go a lead on a 2015 Honda Pilot with 90km on it and neighbour will let her have it for $17500 certified as his wife wants a new vehicle. Think she is going for it and Dad helping out..... Gees  

Has timing belt been done Kelvin? Could be  up to a grand if not. If it's been well looked after and has service records that's a pretty good deal.

1 hour ago, John said:

Has timing belt been done Kelvin? Could be  up to a grand if not. If it's been well looked after and has service records that's a pretty good deal.

my 06 needs a timing belt at 200k...  Are the new ones different? 

I have 225 on mine and still haven't done it.  But I'm selling mine at the end of this winter, so I am kind of rolling the dice..  Sketchy, I know..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NAW said:

my 06 needs a timing belt at 200k...  Are the new ones different? 

I have 225 on mine and still haven't done it.  But I'm selling mine at the end of this winter, so I am kind of rolling the dice..  Sketchy, I know..

Supposed to be at 160,000 or 7 years. Whichever comes first.

7 hours ago, John said:

John all records are done at the dealer and timing belt was just done 3 months ago 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 8:09 PM, Loonietoon said:

This Pilot sounds like a good choice. They're a sound vehicle. The only reocuring issue I've seen with them is that the transmission oil cooler coil inside the rad fails. When that happens, coolant and transmission fluid mixes together. Doesn't hurt the cooling system; other then trying to get it cleaned out. It's the trany that takes the hit. The chemicals and the acids in the coolant, can and usually does eat way at the clutch plate's  friction material and blows them apart. 2 to 3 grand for a trans and you'll also need to replace the rad; another 500 dollar touch. Sad part is there's no warning if it were to happen; you'll just see this strawbeery mikeshake looking stuff coming out of the coolant recovery tank. If I were buying this I'd check if the rad has been replaced. I've done a half dozen or so and it's a 50/50 chance that the trans makes it through this. What I have done for my customers, is disconnect the trans cooler lines from the rad and then install an exteernal cooler. By-passing the rad altogether.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

13 hours ago, DanD said:

This Pilot sounds like a good choice. They're a sound vehicle. The only reocuring issue I've seen with them is that the transmission oil cooler coil inside the rad fails. When that happens, coolant and transmission fluid mixes together. Doesn't hurt the cooling system; other then trying to get it cleaned out. It's the trany that takes the hit. The chemicals and the acids in the coolant, can and usually does eat way at the clutch plate's  friction material and blows them apart. 2 to 3 grand for a trans and you'll also need to replace the rad; another 500 dollar touch. Sad part is there's no warning if it were to happen; you'll just see this strawbeery mikeshake looking stuff coming out of the coolant recovery tank. If I were buying this I'd check if the rad has been replaced. I've done a half dozen or so and it's a 50/50 chance that the trans makes it through this. What I have done for my customers, is disconnect the trans cooler lines from the rad and then install an exteernal cooler. By-passing the rad altogether.

Dan.

Best thing to do is bypass the tranny cooler in the rad and hook up an aftermarket one.

Then this will never be an issue.

Not sure which years had the strawberry milkshake issue but a little snooping on the web will let you know.

The only other issue I have head of deals with the cylinder management system and carboning up of the piston rings leading to increased oil consumption. This is easily bypassed with a VC Muzzler which disables the system so it doesn't shut down cylinders.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

On 1/2/2020 at 10:31 PM, DanD said:

Dan.

Dan, mentioned this to my Daughter and she said she will get it looked at next service to be changed. Thanks for the info and she LOVES HER NEW RIDE as she puts it

• Like 1

Hope your Pilot works out. I’ve always been a pro Honda guy, but they are slipping in reliability according to Consumer Reports. Used to be near or at the top. Now middle of pack. Honda styling has never thrilled me but for me reliability trumps looks.  Now that’s deteriorating. They better get their act together. Might want to buy warranty.