Tire issues

b_cdot

Yes I had this happen to me. 

It turned out to be a screw through the tread area of the tire.

It depended on where the screw was when parked. If at the top of the tire it had no stress from where the tire flattens out at the bottom part of the tire. If on a more curved area of the tire like where the edge of the tire meets the road it would leak.

7 minutes ago, b_cdot said:

did a pretty thorough inspection and I've ruled out nail or screw

You need to see the whole tire (off the car with a good light) to ensure it's not a nail/screw.  Trust me they can be small and lost the head and it's just the pointy body now causing the issue.  

1 hour ago, bushart said:

This happened to me last year

one of those black rims for your winter snow tires--- was only a couple years old

it rusted in the  centre of the rim--just enough for a slow leak

pretty sure they don't use the best steel on those

good luck

Ya, neighbour had 2 of his winter rims on his GM rust out from the inside out, complete junk.

I'm guessing you have aluminum rims. As aluminum contracts due to cold, the rim seal gives way and you have a slow leak. It's the reason I keep a tire inflator in my vehicle all year round.

There are solutions, but it requires that each tire and rim be removed, the rim set needs to be thoroughly cleaned, re-painted and re-installed. It aint cheap!

HH

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, misfish said:

Had 2 tires go low and the alarm went off. It was after a over night cold snap. Thought it was weird. Had them checked and blown to normal pressure. Been fine since.  Wierd.

As Joe said, alloy shrinks in the cold.  Steel doesn't.  I "assume" snows are on a second set of steel wheels for most as to why my replies have been the way they are.  

Edited by GBW

One wheel on my 2005 Silverado does this every winter. It is common problem with aluminum rims, especially as they age. As soon as the weather gets cold, the bead seal leaks. I can go all summer with no problem, in cold weather, it starts to leak. The colder the faster it goes down. I have to top it up regularly through out the winter.  

On 12/28/2019 at 3:11 PM, misfish said:

Rims are steel. Original since 2014 new. Been holding the right pressure since.

Oh and here I sit and type, I had low pressure again. LOL Topped up and fine. I think it,s the bead on these 10 ply . New tires coming soon, as these have run their course.

27 minutes ago, misfish said:

Oh and here I sit and type, I had low pressure again. LOL Topped up and fine. I think it,s the bead on these 10 ply . New tires coming soon, as these have run their course.

You can save on tire wear by not going to the river every  spare hour!  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, b_cdot said:

Follow up- Had to refill with air last week. The leak was around the valve stem. The valve stem was replaced at no cost.

Glad you found it and it wasn't costly 

On 12/27/2019 at 9:16 PM, GBW said:

Put some soapy water near and on the valve stem and take the dust cap off when doing so and look for bubbles.  I see more leaks there when it's not a nail/screw in the tire in most cases.