Socks for ice fishing

huzzsaba

On 12/27/2019 at 9:26 AM, sauce said:

Boots one size larger than "proper" fit.

That's what I have been doing the last few years; but two sizes larger. One pair of regular (thin summer) sock and then a pair of heavy wool socks. Not so thick of sock combination that my foot is still loose; lots of wiggle room. Since I've been doing that; no more cold feet.

Dan.  

Stay away from anything made of cotton, in the cold, cotton kills!

Any nylon dress sock will whisk moisture away from the foot. A good wool sock on top and you should be good to go assuming you follow the advice above and remove the insole each night.

Any boot rated for -100C is a definite asset. See the Baffin lineup.

HH

1 pair of merino wool socks in my baffin titans and I've never had cold feet.  Always, warm, toasty and dry.  2 pairs, and my feet are cold. You need some room for air in your boots. Too tight, your feet will get cold.  Do yourself a favour and get some baffin titans while your shopping for merino wool socks. 

S. 

9 hours ago, Sinker said:

1 pair of merino wool socks in my baffin titans and I've never had cold feet.  Always, warm, toasty and dry.  2 pairs, and my feet are cold. You need some room for air in your boots. Too tight, your feet will get cold.  Do yourself a favour and get some baffin titans while your shopping for merino wool socks. 

S. 

Eigers are even warmer for people like me that always have cold feet!

Friend recently bought Baffin boots and they will definitely keep you warm. I do not ice fish but my wife just bought me a pair of $100 heated socks and they work well for skiing. She bought them off amazon and so far, I have been impressed. The cheaper ones seem to not last long (like, they only heat up once or twice before dying) and these are thick enough as is. There are more expensive options but so far, I do have not found a reason to go with them.

14 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Eigers are even warmer for people like me that always have cold feet!

Yes, but twice the money, and the same liners. Are they really waterproof??  They dont look like they will stay waterproof forever, like rubbber does.